Motor Trend- 2007 Shelby Mustang Cobra

matstang03

Established Member
I just got the new Motor Trend in the mail and to my suprise they had what looks to be the new Cobra or now known as the 2007 Shelby Cobra which will replace the old name Mustang SVT Cobra.
They Claim it will produce 550hp and the 0-60mph time could dip below 4.0 seconds with a standing quarter mile in the low 12's or even high 11's and will have the GT's supercharged aluminum 5.4-liter V-8 and a stiffened, toughened version on the GT's live axle with coil springs and an anti roll bar. it also will not weigh that much more then the Mustang GT which weighs in at 3520.
They are saying by getting rid of the IRS and putting in the solid axle they will be saving $70llion in development cost.
It's all on page 16 and 17 if you wanna read about it. I just thought you guys might wanna know :)

Fourcam330

Established Member
matstang03 said:
I just got the new Motor Trend in the mail and to my suprise they had what looks to be the new Cobra or now known as the 2007 Shelby Cobra which will replace the old name Mustang SVT Cobra.
They Claim it will produce 550hp and the 0-60mph time could dip below 4.0 seconds with a standing quarter mile in the low 12's or even high 11's and will have the GT's supercharged aluminum 5.4-liter V-8 and a stiffened, toughened version on the GT's live axle with coil springs and an anti roll bar. it also will not weigh that much more then the Mustang GT which weighs in at 3520.
They are saying by getting rid of the IRS and putting in the solid axle they will be saving $70llion in development cost.
It's all on page 16 and 17 if you wanna read about it. I just thought you guys might wanna know :)

If true that's the greatest news since the invention of the contraceptive pill!

SGL

Banned
matstang03 said:
I just got the new Motor Trend....

Isn't that the same piece of trash that voted the Caprice Classic Car of The Year in 1992? :rollseyes

I never read it again after that. Ever.

matstang03

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
Isn't that the same piece of trash that voted the Caprice Classic Car of The Year in 1992? :rollseyes

I never read it again after that. Ever.

I am just posting what i am reading, hopefully they arent wrong this time. As far as pics, they have what looks to be a basic 05 Gt w/ blue racing stripes and a hood scoop, similiar tot he the one on the 01 Gt's, and side exhaust. I don't think its anything what the new Cobra will look like.

trancein305

Established Member
I think the stats are good but the picture will be seen i guess at the detriot AUto Show. What i dont understand is that the cobra might have more HP than the ZO6 but then aerodynamics and weigh come into play. I just hope it can kick ASS ! :thumbsup:

topimg_04.jpg

Fourcam330

Established Member
trancein305 said:
I think the stats are good but the picture will be seen i guess at the detriot AUto Show. What i dont understand is that the cobra might have more HP than the ZO6 but then aerodynamics and weigh come into play. I just hope it can kick ASS ! :thumbsup:

topimg_04.jpg

If the new Z06 really runs around 11.7@127 it will only take a chip/pulley for the Cobra to run with it. Ford's finally given us the Holy Grail of mod motors. Again, not a fan of the side exhaust, but that can be handled easily enough.

Last edited:

'04svtCobra

Established Member
If its white with blue stripes and side exhaust, it sounds like the GTR. It was on Discovery Channel back in OCT/NOV. The entire design, build, test, etc...

Posted while pic was posted...

It looks remarkably like the GTR...

Last edited:

matstang03

Established Member
[QUOTE='04svtCobra]If its white with blue stripes and side exhaust, it sounds like the GTR. It was on Discovery Channel back in OCT/NOV. The entire design, build, test, etc...[/QUOTE]
It's not the GTR,Motor Trend also has an article for the GTR in there which is on page 45.

RossSVT

Established Member
If that's it....it's a big dissapointment. Looks like I'll save my pennies for a used 06 Z06. :rolleyes:

stang99

poopnut2 said:
So what happened to the other V-10 powered Shelby Cobra that resembles the old 427 cobras?

From what I read people didnt like it much so they shelved it and created the Shelby GR-1....the replacement for the GT.

Fourcam330

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
So what happened to the other V-10 powered Shelby Cobra that resembles the old 427 cobras?

That's a possible replacment for the Ford GT (uses the same chassis), but we won't know if it made production for several more years. Expect it to cost at least 90k. The V10 with 3.66"x3.75" B&S was a one off.

matstang03

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
That is an old photoshop. I have seen it before. It won't look like that.

yeah your right, i think they just had to throw any pic in there to go along with the article. I dont think it will look anything like that. The main thing was knowing what is under the hood and that its gonna have a solid rear.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
sounds like good news to me. I tried to find the rag, couldn't. Can you scan and post please. I would appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread