motor swap?????

96stang

Established Member
i have a 96 GT and my car has 82,000k on it i mean theres nothing wrong with it never had any big problems and the motor runs strong. but i was going to get a 5.0 motor and build it up in my garage on the side. i was wondering how hard it would be to put a 5.0 motor in my car, and would it bolt up to the tranny??

Thanks for the help:beer:

DVan8504

Established Member
is the 5.0 lighter than the 4.6? otherwise i dunno why you'd want to do that. a large appeal of 5.0s is that they come in the lighter weight foxes. (yeah i know they came in other bodies too).

96stang

Established Member
i wanted to do this because the 5.0 block is cheap and the 5.0 came in my body style too... the stoped making it in 95..but again im not puting a stock 5.0 in my car i wana put some good power in it. yea the 5.0 are heavier than the 4.6. im not sure by how much butt i know it is

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
Ok, heres the thing. No it will not bolt up to the tranny you have now (assuming its a 5 speed). So right there your looking at new trans, clutch, shifter, possibly a different crossmember and driveshaft. Next your going to have to change the entire wiring harness from 4.6 to 5.0 including the computer near the passengers footboard. It may seem cheaper now, but after doing all the necessary conversions, you'll probably end up spending more. Stick with the modular!

96stang

Established Member
alright after reading that im definatly thinking about a diff motor.. thanks for telling me befor i went out and bought the motor and Sh*t so what would bolt up to my trany a 96 cobra motor?? or anything else in mind

thanks

DVan8504

Established Member
if it's heavier and you have to do all that stuff, no point at all in going 5.0 as far as i can see.

not sure about your other options though.

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
Yes, a 4V cobra engine will bolt up to your transmission, but again your going to have to swap the engine harness and computer. Check out www.mpsautosalvage.com and you can pick up complete engines with harness and ECU. You will have to spend a big chunk of change at once but it will probably pay off in the end.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Unless you're planning on making a drag car, it's not really worth the time. With aftermarket heads, and possibly without, I think the 5.0 is actually going to be lighter than the 4.6. I don't know if you've seen a 4.6 out of the engine bay but those things are huge! Anyhoo, a DOHC swap will probably less of a pain in the ass for you to do. I would suggest replacing the tranny though anyways. T-45's suck balls.

Users who are viewing this thread