Motor suggestions

99redwj

Established Member
Hey all,
In the process of rebuilding my 86' hatch.Car came with a poorly pieced together 302,botched wiring and almost no useful parts.I had always thought of building a cobra 4.6 in a fox body and turbocharging it.So I currently have a fairly well pieced together 98' cobra motor but am having second thoughts as to continue with the 4.6 or build the 302 for half to a quarter the price.The price isn't the concern the the fact that just want to drive it. I thought of maybe building a cheap 302 and build the 4.6 on the side and swap it in later,but I feel that I wouldn't be satisfied with that.Wanted to get some suggestions on the route I should go.

Thanks

wesessiah

Established Member
Hey all,
In the process of rebuilding my 86' hatch.Car came with a poorly pieced together 302,botched wiring and almost no useful parts.I had always thought of building a cobra 4.6 in a fox body and turbocharging it.So I currently have a fairly well pieced together 98' cobra motor but am having second thoughts as to continue with the 4.6 or build the 302 for half to a quarter the price.The price isn't the concern the the fact that just want to drive it. I thought of maybe building a cheap 302 and build the 4.6 on the side and swap it in later,but I feel that I wouldn't be satisfied with that.Wanted to get some suggestions on the route I should go.

Thanks

you wouldn't be satisfied with getting the 302 running and waiting on the 4.6, or wouldn't be satisfied with the 4.6? my suggestion is getting the 302 up and running, and if you want a project build, use a 351. starting off with more cubes, and can go much higher. i'm also more of a purist, and consider a modular in a fox blasphemy :D though some people do a good job with it.

v6-m112

Established Member
I've been researching lately about doing engine swaps, I have both 90 and 92 projects, one that I would like to keep EFI and the other carb. For the carb, I'm looking at stroking a 351 for some good displacement, and the other I'm thinking about doing a 347 with a Hellion kit. In my opinion, with the amount of aftermarket parts for the fox, more specifically for it's 5.0, it would be much less of a headache to go with that motor.

vfast

Established Member
the 351 is a much stronger platform and doesn't cost much more to build.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
351 with heads/cam/intake will make 350+whp and will be good for a TON more power than a stock 302. Just saying.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you go FI a DOHC mod motor is hard to beat.........heavier and more money though.

CarbedForGood

Established Member
I would say what are you looking to run in the 1/4 and how much are you willing to spend before I could give my opinion on what motor to go with!

99redwj

Established Member
Thought I'd update this a bit as progress is being made( slowly though). Decided to sell of all of the 302 parts and go with the Teksid blocked 4.6 stroked to 5.0 with a Borg warner S480. Backed by a T56 Magnum and built rear Should be a handful.
e36805bb-edfc-45a9-93ac-a29831da2b88_zps8e3bcf66.jpg

f37c04f5-7f9e-4285-959f-4780b3ecb1c5_zpsd2992f03.jpg

Mnstr50

Established Member
Man, that is a MASSIVE turbo! It will definitely be cool. I like the idea of a mod-motor myself, and after owning a coyote power 12', I'm a BELIEVER! For my 92' notch, I want to attempt a coyote swap.

99redwj

Established Member
Man, that is a MASSIVE turbo! It will definitely be cool. I like the idea of a mod-motor myself, and after owning a coyote power 12', I'm a BELIEVER! For my 92' notch, I want to attempt a coyote swap.
Yeah If I were to do it over again I would definitely go the coyote with wipple, or will that be the next foxbody LOL

Mnstr50

Established Member
Yeah If I were to do it over again I would definitely go the coyote with wipple, or will that be the next foxbody LOL

The coyotes are still a bit pricey (at least in crate versions), and I don't really have the intention of doing the swap anytime soon, so I haven't checked salvage yards (I'm sure it's slim pickin's). However, there are several vendors who also offer built long-blocks which also look appealing. The issue with a crate motor is that you tend to get dime and nickled on the details (sensors, fasteners, brackets, harnesses, injectors, etc.). This is when the earlier 4V modulars start to look far more appealing. Especially a teksid block variant with the "new edge" top end. I've been lightly researching the parts compatibility of the coyote in relation to the earlier 4V motors, and if you can land a belt drive assembly from an sn95 (modular) than you'll find a few companies offer the brackets to make it work on a coyote. In fact, the T45 used behind the 2V's can also be employed. I found a few vendors who also modify/build-up the T45 for more abuse. It would be an interesting swap. Actually, the interchangeability is better suited for an SN95 with the existing 2V or 4V.

99redwj

Established Member
The coyotes are still a bit pricey (at least in crate versions), and I don't really have the intention of doing the swap anytime soon, so I haven't checked salvage yards (I'm sure it's slim pickin's). However, there are several vendors who also offer built long-blocks which also look appealing. The issue with a crate motor is that you tend to get dime and nickled on the details (sensors, fasteners, brackets, harnesses, injectors, etc.). This is when the earlier 4V modulars start to look far more appealing. Especially a teksid block variant with the "new edge" top end. I've been lightly researching the parts compatibility of the coyote in relation to the earlier 4V motors, and if you can land a belt drive assembly from an sn95 (modular) than you'll find a few companies offer the brackets to make it work on a coyote. In fact, the T45 used behind the 2V's can also be employed. I found a few vendors who also modify/build-up the T45 for more abuse. It would be an interesting swap. Actually, the interchangeability is better suited for an SN95 with the existing 2V or 4V.
Trust me I know all about the nickle and dimeing on a 4v too.I started with the block and went from there,I was just saying a create motor would give you a head start.And one of the great things is most modular stuff will carry over.

Users who are viewing this thread