Motor Shot..now what?

CanuckCobra

Established Member
hey fellas,

Well it's decision time, on Monday morning I started the car up and it was running really rough and the driver side head was ticking real bad,limped over to the dealership and was diagnosed as a spark plug blown out of the headon #7,stripping threads etc..so $5K(Canadian) for a new head or $750 for a hellacoil and no promisies...took the latter and while the car runs fine I now have a serious engine knock that the local mustang mechanic says is likely a piston,whatever it is it's definetly terminal.

trouble is I need a car for work,in fact I had planned to sell the Cobra(not that I wanted to) and get something I could put a ton of miles on and drive cheap.

however I am getting offers on trade in for about $13k less than I owe on the Cobra making it difficult to buy a new car.

So now I'm thinking of getting a cheap lease and keeping the Cobra and fixing it over the winter.. Fr500 Cam's '03 Heads,forged pistons/rods.Ported intake.4.30's,put the Eibach springs on that are sitting here. It has 50K miles and is in great shape otherwise.

It would be tight but I could pull it off..I love this car, :shrug:
Any thoughts would be appreciated ,thanks guys. :beer:

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Talk to Naz about the setup you are planing on doing. His setup is alot like what you are wanting to do. He will let you knowif it is a good path or if you will just get burned in the wallet department.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
GodStang said:
Talk to Naz about the setup you are planing on doing. His setup is alot like what you are wanting to do. He will let you knowif it is a good path or if you will just get burned in the wallet department.

Ya I have always liked what he's done with his..not sure about the juice...but I figure i should go forged while I'm at it..just in case :) and keeping the stock head with the hellacoil might not be a good idea either...

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Well looks like I'll be starting a new thread about re-building my engine,cause I bought another (boring) car and I"M KEEPING THE COBRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cobraracer46

Banned
I hope you didn't flease the car you just bought, because all the money you would could have saved by paying cash for a cheap used car could have been put twards your cobra project. Furthermore, If you happen to be making payments on your new vehicle, it would seem a little crazy to create more debt like buying FR500 parts when you already have nasty new car debt. The trade in offers you were getting for your cobra should that would have resulted in an upside down situtuation should wake you up to the fact that you need to stop screwing your self financially by getting into car payments. Hey, you asked for any opinions!

CanuckCobra

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
I hope you didn't flease the car you just bought, because all the money you would could have saved by paying cash for a cheap used car could have been put twards your cobra project. Furthermore, If you happen to be making payments on your new vehicle, it would seem a little crazy to create more debt like buying FR500 parts when you already have nasty new car debt. The trade in offers you were getting for your cobra should that would have resulted in an upside down situtuation should wake you up to the fact that you need to stop screwing your self financially by getting into car payments. Hey, you asked for any opinions!

Agreed..no it's not a perfect situation but I get a healthy car allowance and I put about 3500 kms on a month with work,and alot of mountain/winter driving. I may be singing a different song in a few months,at least if I fix the car I'll get 10k more than the trade in was going to be...if I sell it.

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Man, i am sorry to hear this... The Exact samething happen to me. How many miles are on the Car...
www.Karkraft.com Sales 99/01 heads for $650 for a set with a warranty.

DO NOT DO A HELI COIL it will not WORK.. TRIED IT, Blew it out about 15 mins of idling AT the FORD HOUSE.
If you have the money build a motor, if you dont have the money get new heads and arp head bolts, with some good gaskets, have them check compression on the block that way you know if your rings are still okay..

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread