Motor Replacement

Enileate

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6731877#post6731877

The findings in this pasted thread are accurate. I need some assistance in choosing a motor builder and installer. I have completed many searches on this site regarding this topic. I feel i am no closer in understanding who/how to choose. Do i need to find a competent installer that works with a motor builder? Or do i find a competent motor builder that works with a installer?

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
Truly your best bet is to find a very reputable builder in your area, check the BBB, check there references and do a ton of research....

Enileate

Established Member
In my area we have two SVT authorized dealerships. They have both given me the same price for complete removal and installation of a motor. I feel comfortable using either of the dealerships, although $1800 seems excessive.

FordFanStan

Established Member
You're actually not that far from us, maybe an hour or little over. Give me a call and we can discuss your options, but I don't think your previous diagnosis was correct. Did that mechanic explain why he thinks it needed a valve job, or what the cause was? What were your compression readings on the dead cylinder and on the others?

Depending on what you actually need done, if you need a rebuild, your very cheapest options would be to find a used longblock in decent shape and have someone swap it in. The next cheapest would just buy a reman longblock from Ford, they do come with a 3/36,000 warranty, but I don't like this option because I have seen so many issues with remanned engines. Then you could always have your engine rebuilt or buy a built one. I would recommend getting a second opinion though first. Stan

FordFanStan

Established Member
Oh yeah, I once had to use the SVT dealership in San Bernadino right off the 10 and 215, I was not pleased one bit. The tried to screw me over with pricing and the customer service was horrible. FFS

La lightning

03 SB L
Established Member
As Stan said about the Ford reman, DO NOT GO THIS ROUTE! I am a tech at a Ford/SVT dealership and we re-replace our fair share of these little gems. Yes you have a warranty, but its not worth the very real chance of problems or being a victim of "fine print" warranty b.s.

Enileate

Established Member
My new motor was installed today. I went with EMM, they are a very professional team. I went with a Big Bore Iron Block Stroker. They told me that this motor was one of the first of its kind. I had to also purchase a sniper maf and downloadable tune? The price was alittle higher then i expected, however i am pleased with the transaction.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
+1 on never ever even heard of this company before.
I wish you the best of luck thou, let us know how it goes.

Enileate

Established Member
So far so good with the new motor. I just got back from a trip to Las Vegas with it. Fuel mileage has gone down 2 mpg. The guys that built this motor had two others at the shop. The guy that installed the motor had one also. They did tell me that i was very lucky to be able to get one, because they were waiting on parts for 7 months. I wasnt sure what to think when they told me that. Hearing the same thing from you guys here only validifies their statement. Thank You for all the help you guys have provided.

Enileate

Established Member
I have to wait untill my son comes home to be able to email some pictures. The only camera i own is a original Kodac Instamatic.

Enileate

Established Member
My installer called me today to ask how everything was going. Little things like that make a customer feel confident with their desicion. He also invited me over to his shop tommorrow evening to help with the install of his Iron block big bore stroker. I told him i wanted him to take pictures and post them on this forum. Well, i guess the pictures are already on the other Lightning forum.

Users who are viewing this thread