Motor Options For Terminator Swap?

96BlackStangGT

Established Member
Well guys, I'm not new here but I hardly ever post. Within the next few months I will by trying to piece together a complete 03-04 cobra swap into my 96 GT auto. I plan on using all the wiring I can for the swap, including motor harness, dash harness,instrument cluster, cobra computer, and transmission harness. I've pretty much decided on the t56 magnum for the swap and later on putting an F1A procharger setup on it.

My question is, for a reliable 600-700rwhp car, what motor options should I be looking into? Id rather have a motor that is a little over built then one that's on the iffy side if that makes sense. I've thought of the MMR 900 longblock, the low compression aluminator, livernois, modular performance, or just getting a used terminator motor in good shape. Would a used motor be good for that much power or would I be pushing it with the stock 03-04 internals?

This is my daily driver too so keep that in mind if you can. Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm not interested in building my 2v so for me that's not an option.

cotchnobra

Established Member
stock 03-04 cobra motors will handle 600-700 rwhp. guys with whipple's, Kenne Bell's and Turbos are pushing those numbers all day with no issues. But a built motor is always nice but way more expensive than a used stock Terminator motor. If money is of no factor go with something built.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Find a teksid block, then hit up modmax.com for internals. You can build a significantly stronger motor for wayyyy less than buying a complete one.

96BlackStangGT

Established Member
Hey thanks guys and sorry for the slow response, been working a lot the past two weeks so haven't had time to get on.

I'm leaning toward a built motor for sure, mainly due to the F1A. Seems people are getting better results with the F1A on higher compression motors. I was thinking just a basic 03-04 cobra motor with 9.5:1 compression, but after looking at livernois website I'm wondering if their 4v stroker shortblock with 9.7:1 pistons would be a better setup with the procharger. I'm also leaning toward the Aeromotive Eliminator fuel system to go into the car. So how's the setup as a whole sound? Built 4v motor with 9.5:1 or 9.7:1 stroker, stock heads (maybe cams, not sure though) F1A procharger, T56 Magnum, build the 8.8 in my GT and use 3.73's or 4.10's, Aeromotive eliminator fuel system, and all of the wiring and misc. parts to make it all work? Any answers and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if livernois offers longblocks? And if not does Modular Performance? After all I've read everyone seems to have good experiences with both and I like the idea of having a longblock shipped strait to me ready to drop in. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions, just trying to get this all figured out!

96BlackStangGT

Established Member
Well darn I wish they did, but oh well there still an option I suppose.

So I've been looking deeper into this future build and think I know what way I want it set up for the most part. What parts would be needed for the 01 intake manifold on a 03-04 F1a Procharger COG kit? Seems everyone is making better power, especially down low and mid range with this setup instead of the sheet metal intake the kit comes with. Also will it need to be ported to work the the C heads of the 03? So far I think I've narrowed it down to a built 03 motor with 9.5:1 (maybe higher) pistons, stock rods and crank, C heads, 01 cobra intake manifold, 80lb injectors of some sort (or more), maybe some sort of cams (need opinions), heat exchanger/ air to air intercooler/radiator setup (also need opinions) Kooks 1 7/8 headers opened up to a 3" O/R x-pipe and 3" catback, would amagine a new MAF is needed too but don't know what to use. What are you all's thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread