motor might be blown at 21,000 miles

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
hey guys i need some input i started my car up yesterday morining and it would barely start i mean hesitating to start real bad then it finally started and it is barely running now i mean shaking and vibrating vigourisly at idle like its got a hell of a cam in it anyways then it almost wants to shut off but you let off the clutch and it sounds like a horrible bottom end knock then push the clutch back in and the knock goes away but nothing else does i can barely even rev it up when it runs for like 5 minutes the passanger side pipe right below the catalytic covertors and resinator it gets cherry red like its dumping straight gas into the exhaust im taking it to ford monday morining. if anyone has any imput please post and let me know. Xpipe no longer on car has stock mid pipe on it

Last edited:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
They have had bad converters well actually not but if the car runs rich will wreck the converters and that will cause it to run terrible and make exh cherry red. Hope thats all it is or maybe u will get a new engine under warranty if you have not messed with it.

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
if u push in the cutch and the knock goes away.. it must be something else!!

Marc

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would say that since it is a 03 you may have baked one or more of your cats, and your engine is experiencing a crap load of backpressure.

oldmodman

Established Member
Check your oil for a gassy smell. You may have a bad FRPS.
It is dumping huge amounts of unmetered fuel into your engine. That would cause your cat to run super hot. If you want to check, pull the vacume line off of it and see if gas squirts out. You can do that with the key on and the engine not running.
I had the same problem and it was a failing FRPS, when they fail completely most cars won't even run.

redz_02

Established Member
try checking the heto fuse. Not sure if the cobras have them. Are you getting any codes? I grounded out my rear bank 2 02 sensor and it made my lightning not drivable. But a pc doc at autozone and it showed 7 codes that later were the result of a blown fuse. Saw you changed your h-pipe, check to make sure there is no contact.

sjw985

Established Member
Good luck man. I'll keep an eye out for you around Richmond.

Which dealer are you going to?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This is why I invested in a Laptop based Scan tool. A great investment for a pessimist expecting Murphy’s Law to strike at any time.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
hey man, sounds like your car did exactly what mine did.. YOU SNAPPED A TIMING CHAIN! My cobra had 21000 miles on it too! That was the diagnosis for my cobra two weeks ago.. I get it back tomorrow with a brand new engine. good luck!

My car would barely run for 5 minutes, let alone 30 seconds.. smelled like gas, engine was shaking very violently only cause HALF of the engine was firing. crazy this happened to you.. I jus started my car up and it all went to hell after that.. I hope things work out for you. It back fired n' what not. Ford Techs said my right side head lost the timing chain and it all went bad!

-lex

Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
one more thing! DO NOT DRIVE IT or START IT anymore!!!!!! You will just make things worse! have it flat-bedded to the dealership! you'll thank me later!!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Zinc03Cobra
one more thing! DO NOT DRIVE IT or START IT anymore!!!!!! You will just make things worse! have it flat-bedded to the dealership! you'll thank me later!!

That may be the best advice of all.

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
gong to richmond ford monday nov 15 wish me luck ill keep everyone posted on what happends
justin

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
hey guys updated info on cobra got it back last friday what happended was i braoke the driver side timing chain replaced drivers side head and overhauled tranny everything is smooth now knock on wood but we'll see how things go by the way if anyone has the tick in here the new designed head is out i got one on my car now. thanx for all the imput everyone that replied when i first posted this thread
justin

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Zinc03Cobra said:
hey man, sounds like your car did exactly what mine did.. YOU SNAPPED A TIMING CHAIN! My cobra had 21000 miles on it too! That was the diagnosis for my cobra two weeks ago.. I get it back tomorrow with a brand new engine. good luck!

My car would barely run for 5 minutes, let alone 30 seconds.. smelled like gas, engine was shaking very violently only cause HALF of the engine was firing. crazy this happened to you.. I jus started my car up and it all went to hell after that.. I hope things work out for you. It back fired n' what not. Ford Techs said my right side head lost the timing chain and it all went bad!

-lex

How'd you get a whole new motor warrantied with all your mods? Just curious. I'm still debating whether or not I should put this nice pretty 2.93 BilletFlow pulley on, because if my engine goes anytime within the next year or so and they void my warranty, I'm screwed. With my luck, I'd put the pulley on, the motor would blow, my warranty would be voided, and I'd have to buy a $500 Geo Metro while my Cobra sits in the driveway while I'm still making payments on it and paying insurance since it's leased and state law to have full coverage on a leased vehicle.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
SublimeRT said:
How'd you get a whole new motor warrantied with all your mods? Just curious. I'm still debating whether or not I should put this nice pretty 2.93 BilletFlow pulley on, because if my engine goes anytime within the next year or so and they void my warranty, I'm screwed. With my luck, I'd put the pulley on, the motor would blow, my warranty would be voided, and I'd have to buy a $500 Geo Metro while my Cobra sits in the driveway while I'm still making payments on it and paying insurance since it's leased and state law to have full coverage on a leased vehicle.

You have answered your own question. If you can't afford to pay for any damage that may occur after you mod, DON"T DO IT!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
0&SVT&3 said:
hey guys updated info on cobra got it back last friday what happended was i braoke the driver side timing chain replaced drivers side head and overhauled tranny everything is smooth now knock on wood but we'll see how things go by the way if anyone has the tick in here the new designed head is out i got one on my car now. thanx for all the imput everyone that replied when i first posted this thread
justin

I would be interested in hearing more about the new designed head you got. My guess is you received the head that was last released for the tick. However, it will not cure the tick in most cases and we are still waiting for the release of that fix. I think the head you recieved has been out for some time now. Please let us know if you know anything differently as there are a ton of guys here waiting! (post the part #...that should tell us)

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
by the way if anyone has the tick in here the new designed head is out i got one on my car now.

There is no updated head availible to fix the tick at this time. They may have replaced the drivers side head to fix your car and told you that it was the latest part, but there is not a new head availible yet.

Users who are viewing this thread