Motor leaking and burning oil.

nyerpp

Established Member
Picked up my car on Friday from nearly 5 weeks of being at the builder. the motor is a stock block 2014 with lowered compression 9.6:1, fully built bottom end with billet oil pump gears abd an 82mm pulley TVS setup. On the drive back from the builder I notice a smell and smoke out of the exhaust. I got the car home and confrimed it was not coming from the tail pipes. It turns out there is oil leaking from the driver side head area and dripping on to the header and burning off. It only leaks while the motor is running and it leaks like a sieve, I lost a liter of oil on a 30 km drive.

I put the car up on jack stands and had a closer look, I still cannot see the exact area where it is leaking, but I am guessing it is a head gasket failure. My experience with head gasket failures is usually shot compression between cylinders, or coolant in the oil. Regardless it has a two year warranty and the builder will need to fix it.

My experience thus far has not been as good as I would have hoped with this new motor. I have newly purchased cats that are now bad, wrong sized pulley that was installed on the blower, incorrectly wired IAT sensor, hole punched in the rad and now this.

Mike

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Not sure what the point of posting this is? Builder didn't do it right, take it back, don't pick it up until it's done correctly.

nyerpp

Established Member
Not sure what the point of posting this is? Builder didn't do it right, take it back, don't pick it up until it's done correctly.

Point of the post is to share my angst with fellow mustangers. The builder should be aware of the issues, they have not responded to my correspondence from the weekend. I will call in the AM, they can come and pick the car up!

Is there a possibility that this could be anything but a head gasket? From underneath the car I can see the oil pooling on the header, but I cannot see the exact source of the leak. It does not leak unless under pressure. I checked the coolant and oil and I see intrusion into either system, no frothing in the oil.

466roller

Established Member
So there is or is not coolant and oil mixing? Maybe look with a mirror on the underside of the drivers valve cover and make sure it's not a valve cover leaking.

nyerpp

Established Member
So there is or is not coolant and oil mixing? Maybe look with a mirror on the underside of the drivers valve cover and make sure it's not a valve cover leaking.

It was a broken oil diptstick. Bulider has no idea how it happened, he replaced it under warranty. Not sure how that happens unless it came from the factory with issues, or they stressed it when installing the new motor?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Always check the work done to your car before you leave the shop...dont trust...people make mistakes all the time....

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
Always check the work done to your car before you leave the shop...dont trust...people make mistakes all the time....

that is the best thing to do no matter what.i had a small spot fixed on my rear quarter picked the car up and stopped for fuel and to look at my shiny car only to find a big SCRAPE about 4 inchs long were they just fixed it.i went back and they said someone had to have done it in the last 10 minutes and sorry .they made it right but i was pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread