Motor in my 98

snakebittn

Established Member
Alright I really really need some help.... I have a 1998 mustang cobra and well it more like a nogo...cobra... I kinda slung a rod through the side of the block...well both sides of the block. I removed the old motor took off everything and then waited for a month or two and got a shortblock out of a gt. I inspected the heads and cleaned everything up real nice and pretty and everything looked damn good, so I put it together with my heads and everything else that came off my old motor.... Well it seems that I probably screwed up something really really bad and the son of a bitch (excuse the french) hardly runs. It will not idle. It has no throttle response, it sounds like its knocking a tad bit, but a friend of mine who's been through a lot of motors in his cobra said that the knocking sound is normal for a freshly rebuilt engine. So now I am totally stuck on the situation and I am about ready to say F#CK it if you understand where I am coming from. Now I have had a couple of mechanics and some stupid asses tell me about six or seven different things it could be. One told me it was the timings off, one told me it was a rod knock, one told me I could have some bent valves, hell one told me it was fine and dandy I just needed to let it run for a while. Well I am finally gonna get to the questions and the point I was getting at... For one if anyone knows what is wrong with is or what I can do to fix this. Has anyone else had a pretty much bone stock cobra motor sling one rod through TWO sides of the block? Please I really need some help, I am in the biggest bind of my life. No car, and no other means of transportation.

wait wait wait.......you said you got a shortblock out of a mustang GT????????? and put your heads on the gt's shortblock? I think that is your problem dude.....gt is a 2 valve motor.......cobra is a 4 valve motor.....

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'd have to agree with Brian ... BUT I'd think you would have checked into this before you put the GT shortblock together using Cobra parts:bash: ! I'd have to think that the GT block and the Cobra block are two different animals. The internal passages, the main bearing caps and lands (on the block), and who knows what else (exhaust and intake manifolds ?). I'd get a lot more positive information:read: :sleeping::read: before I went any further. Someone in here has the information, I'm sure.

This is just my opinion. No offense intended by the little Icons, but this just doesn't sound right.

Dan

Last edited:
Yea the 2 valve heads are totally different........cobra's have the 4 valve heads from 96+......the heads from a cobra will NOT fit a gt motor, srry to say man but you basically bought the wrong motor to put in your car

ogc

Established Member
I dont even know how you got it to run at all? I thought the head bolts were completely different positions. Not to mention running the timing chain.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I was just looking through the Haynes repair manual, on rebuilding & reassembling engines (4.6 SOHC & DOHC). Of course they don't offer any information on swaping parts, but I didn't see anything that specifically said the Cobra parts won't work. I'd wait for a post from someone that has a little experience in rebuilding & swaping parts.

Dan

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Even if it would work why the hell would you want a GT Shortblock. The aluminum Cobra block is more than stong enough for any power that you would ever want, and it is lighter. That is just stupid to me. And it is almost unheard of to throw a rod in one of these unless you are making some really seriouse power, or your tune is just completely F'd up. What all was done to the old engine? Mods' etc? Are you the original owner? This baffles me because I have never heard of suck a thing.

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Don't see any reason to attack the "poster," by calling it all BS. Let's try to get some answers for him.:beer:

Dan

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am not sure about it being complete BS, and If he can get us some more info I will be more than happy to help him as much as I can. But having said that I did just put my waders on just in case.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
:lol: :beer: :lol:

bsmeter1.gif

How's this, Brian. LOL

Dan

Last edited:

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Jesus christ u guys act like the 4v cobra motor is from a completely different engine family. There are very few differences in the overall scheme of things. This guy could hypothetically through all the top end pieces from his old engine onto a GT bottom end(Even though that might have to be one of the most retarded ideas I ever herd, so I call bs on this too) However, if its not Ill take a shot at what the problem might be. Lets say he got a short block out of a GT. I have a feeling that the cobra crank and the GT crank have different ballances. So my guess would be that he used his cobra harmonic balancer on the GT which has it out of balance. Just a guess but it seems like as good a shot in the dark as most. Back to this thread being BS though. If this guy new how to put a mod motor together, degree the cams and all the beyond backyard mechanic stuff, I would assume he would be smart enough to figure out what the problem is himself. So BS

Talyon

Bleed Blue
Established Member
sorry to but in but, It was my understanding that there called modular moters for a reasion. a 4.6 block is a 4.6 block. just like a 5.4 block is a 5.4. if we can drop navi dohc on a 4.6 the gt block should be the same. ?????????????????????.

P.S. IMO

COBRASVT

Established Member
I'm going with timming as well....With the bad idle and no power, that's where I'd start for sure.

And I thought the only diff btw the GT and the Cobra was the GT is iron and the Cobra has dual oh cams for better air flow (besides the internals like crank, pistons, etc.).

I think all else is equal and you can switch them around all you want.

Users who are viewing this thread