Motor dies when engagin clutch after high rpm...

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
Noticed this after I went to a return style fuel system. Sometime when high in the rpm's and I let the clutch in she will dip down in the rpms and kill the motor. I thought it was the tune so I had it re-tuned up here and she runs amazing and the idle at a stand still is almost perfectly stable at 700rpm but after I drove her for about a hr I had another incident of this. Granted it's better than the multiple ones I had in a 30min with the old tuner but what could be causing this?
The new tuner said they can raise the idle rpms but I'm confused on how that would relate to this situation. If I put the clutch in after high rpms shouldn't the fuel system make sure it gets what it needs in order to sustain the rpm's?

Any ideas? Other than that she's 99.9% fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like the decay rate is set too high in the tune. That would cause the motor to drop rpms too fast and when it switches to the idle mode the computer can't catch it. Sometimes raising the rpm keeps the motor from dipping too far. I ended up raising the idle rpm by 50 and I never had another stalling problem.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
decay rate, not sure what that is but I'll give it a mention to the tuner and maybe he can explain it more. thanks and glad to hear it's probably not mechanical.

carnut726

Established Member
mine did that for a while too. when i put on my basani x and turned off the rears and got a tune. it stopped.... i dont know why but a good tuner will know.

matt87

Established Member
mine does this also. only after the s/c install. never did it before.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
my mods that pertain to this issue:

Exhaust:
1. Mac CatBack
2. Mac Catted H-Pipe
3. Mac LT headers 1 5/8

Built Engine (Excessive Motorsports):
1. 42lb injectors
2. Ported intake
3. Port & Polish
4. C&P Pistons .20 over (Forged)
5. Eagle Rods
6. ARP Studs
7. ATI Procharger P1SC @ 10lbs
8. 3 core A/A intercooler
9. Anderson Ford Power Pipe
10. ATI Big Red Race Valve
11. Diablo Preadtor
12. 8 rib pulley setup
13. Reichard Racing 3.1 SC pulley
14. Return Fuel System (Glenn's Performance)

Transmission:
1. Yukon 4.11 Gears
2. MGW Short Throw Shifter (Orange Handle)
3. Centerforce Clutch
4. Maximum Motorsports Quadrant
5. DSS Level 2 Half Shafts
6. 03/04 LSD Clutch Packs

01yellercobra

Established Member
decay rate, not sure what that is but I'll give it a mention to the tuner and maybe he can explain it more. thanks and glad to hear it's probably not mechanical.

It's how fast the rpm's drop after you get off the gas. The higher it's set the faster the rpm's will drop. I think it also affects the flare up between shifts. As in when you take your foot off the gas to shift gears and the motor goes up a couple hundred rpm instead of dropping.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
so the tuners are saying the idle rpm needs to be adjusted. They said I could take it in and have them do it or I can do it myself. I checked and there are two idle rpm adjustments, one for drive and neutral. I'm assuming I need to adjust the neutral rpm since it dies while in neutral...right?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
changed the driver idle rpm to 1000 and the neutral idle rpm to 900 and she doesn't die anymore! I think my ride is finally 100% done now, what will I do with all this extra money, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread