motor carnage

viper82489

Established Member
So some of you heard the story and saw the pic of the the spark plug in OC a few weeks back. got the motor out and apart figured I would post some pics of the carnage.

For those of you that dont know, I pulled the motor over the winter for a rebuild. New pistons, bearings, valves, vlave guides, and seals. Got the motor together and in the car two weeks before OC, upon start up it made some horrible noises and then seized. Pulled the spark plugs and this is what I found in cyl. #4

IMG_20130504_131035_402.jpg

A week or so after OC I start working on the car again and discover that the blower will not spin either. I pull it off and take it apart and this is what I found.

Blower case and screws severely gouged.

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

So I take a look down the #4 intake runner and see this,

IMG_20130522_185636_088.jpg

Not good I know, so I get the motor back out and start dis assembly, I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

So it seems that I had the cam timing off in the passenger side head, witch I dont see how that could have happened I followed the ford service manual to the t when assembling the head. The driver side is completely fine witch makes it weirder. I guess this is one lesson learned the hard way (and expensive way) probably wont have a car for quite some time, dont have the money to fix it right now. Oh well live and learn I guess.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Words fail me. The photos are mesmerizing and horrific at the same time. I really feel for you, and can only say I'm sure it will be back some day.

Last edited:

Established Member
sorry to see that good luck to you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
WOW man I'm really sorry to see this!! This is so shitty! :(.. Dude brand new motor, looked like ported heads etc!! Everything is toasted..

Wiseguy

Established Member
Wow, that sucks. Time and money and good hardware.
I think the cams were off 180 on the secondary gears.

Last edited:

viper82489

Established Member
Thanks guys, I guess its a little easier to swallow when its something you did. Now its time to figure out exactly what went wrong and start saving for some more parts. Hopefully I will get to drive it by the end summer, its been almost a year at this point.

97StangSVT

Established Member
Dude, you were telling us about this over dinner and now the pics are 100 times worse. Sorry to hear about it being this bad. Just work on it as time and money will allow and put a VMP or Whipple on that Cobra! :rockon:

LeadFoot_Cobra

Established Member
Man...and I just ate Chipotle... That just makes me cringe just looking at that. If you plan on rebuilding and your passenger side head doesn't make the cut, I can help you out with a spare one I just have laying around in my house BNIB. I was planning on rebuilding mine back last year but decided mid way to buy a whole new long block.

If you need any OEM parts to replace, just drop me a PM. I can definitely help you out on seeing if some of the parts you would need are at a discounted rate to ease the blow.

viper82489

Established Member
Well Gents if you ever wondered what happens when you put an exhaust cam on an intake side here you go. Turns out MMR sent me two wrong cams, and in my haste I didn't realize that the part numbers were wrong.

This is what the part numbers should be:
Right intake: YL7E-6A270-AA
Right Exhaust: YF3E-6A272-AB
Left Intake: YL7E-6A271-AA
Left Exhaust: YF3E-6A273-AB

And This is what I have
Right Intake: YF3E-6A272-AB
Right Exhaust: YF3E-6A273-AB
Left Intake: YL7E-6A271-AB
Left Exhaust: YF3E-6A273-AB

Kinda pointless to call MMR other than to tell them to check cam part numbers before they ship. At least I know what the problem is now.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
This is a silly question, but did you degree and check PTV clearance? I'm not sure if PTV is as close as it can be on a mod motor vs a pushrod motor, thus my question.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Just being helpful is all for the reassembly..... The valves hit on both intake and exhaust sides and with the oem cams around.. you can interchange_ for duration/lift for desired performance results. ptv and cam timing I would look into.

Users who are viewing this thread