Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 5.0 swap

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
I am planning on doing a major engine overhaul over the next while i am gone and would like some input. The car is focused on autox and opentrack. I am not trying to build the car to put into a class, more for my entertainment. The following options are the main ones i am thinking about. I would like to know what your opinions are on which one you would prefer and why.

Option one: 5.0 big bore teksid with TFS 2V heads and aggressive cam.

Thoughts; i haven't seen too much on numbers for this combo. Cost wise it is the cheapest, but not by much. I wouldn't need new exhaust, ecm, or intake. It also would likely end up producing the least amount of power, which means for autox i wouldn't end up being over powered.

Option two: 5.0 big bore teksid with 4V heads

Likely the most expensive, would require new exhaust, ecm, etc. Would have more power up top. Everything with this just screams expensive as hell. Power would easily be over 400.

Option three: New 5.0 swap. Just based on my initial cost comparison, this may actually be cheaper than the 5.0 4V. Limited fab work but everything for this is also expensive. Issues are is this is still a new swap so i am not sure how well it will hold up. I am getting a production motor, the boss motor would be nice but i haven't seen one at a decent price. The production motor is okay, but to improve it like i would like to would cost alot more. However, this would be the most bad ass build of the three.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
I'm assuming since you are saying big-bore teksid, you are talking about resleeving a teksid block? Resleeving blocks can be pretty expensive, so depending on your budget, that may not be money well spent. If you are worried about the 5.0 4v being too expensive and too powerful for autox, I would suggest just building up a 4.6 aluminum 4v. Doesn't need to be teksid, the wap block is plenty strong and is actually a couple pounds lighter. Also, the only exhaust parts you would need to swap are the headers. Everything else is the same. You will also be able to use the ECU that you currently have, I'm still running my gt ecu.

Full mach 1 or cobra intake manifold assemblies can be bought unused for very little money <$450.

Here's what I would suggest, but of course it all depends on your budget: Aluminum 4.6 with high compression, ported 4v heads, stage 2 cams, tune

This will give you plenty of power, and will be cheaper than a coyote swap, not to mention you can keep your A/C if you desire.

Mike@TF

Established Member
yes agreed with up top you dont need a new ecm for the 2v or 4v swaps.. just tuning..go with a teskid or get the big bore block from ford..and i would go 2v since you can reuse alot of the stuff you have now...do big bore block,11:5:1 compression,trickflow r heads(or regular trickflows)custom cams, tfs intake or eddy, some 24lb injectors(you would max out the stockers) and there you go a nice powerful setup with a great powerband to pull you out of those corners!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread