Motor build time

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Or engine build for the picky- :)

No, the old one didn't blow up. My 13 has accumulated a pretty good stack of 10 second timeslips and I don't see its life getting easier any time soon. So after researching various options- used built shortblocks, new ones, building what I have I decided on the third option and called up MMR.

Nothing too unusual in the build, 11.5:1 pistons to combat elevation, Manley H-beams, Clevite bearings, head studs etc.

Can't wait to get going on this and get the green light to turn up the boost!

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Lmk how the MMR experience goes...I've been tossing around the idea myself going with them. Looking forward to updates.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
He's already the fastest coyote up here. More compression + smaller pulleys should be fun.

Not by much, and not for long!

I should clarify.. MMR is sending a bunch of parts and I'll be working with a local machinist who happens to have the only 5.0 torque plate in the state. It's getting bored .005" instead of just a hone job.

BAD GT

Established Member
Or engine build for the picky- :)

No, the old one didn't blow up. My 13 has accumulated a pretty good stack of 10 second timeslips and I don't see its life getting easier any time soon. So after researching various options- used built shortblocks, new ones, building what I have I decided on the third option and called up MMR.

Nothing too unusual in the build, 11.5:1 pistons to combat elevation, Manley H-beams, Clevite bearings, head studs etc.

Can't wait to get going on this and get the green light to turn up the boost!

What are your shift points on the auto? I think my shift points are way to low.

stang8psi

Established Member
Hopefully MMR has the pistons in stock, cause mine when I ordered same compression 11.5:1 domed postions were not in stock and had to be made and it took 4.5 weeks for them to get dropped shipped from Manley ..

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
First they said they were on the shelf, then called back and said they are coming from Manley direct. I hope to see everything this week.

Stock motor is taking it pretty well, over the weekend I saw 135.3mph trap at 6700 DA..

stang8psi

Established Member
Good luck with that.. apparently the .005 bore 11.5:1 are made to order.. like I said it took 4 weeks to get mine when I was told by MMR 1 week. Good thing that Manley is less than an hour from me and when they did ship them out to me it only took one day.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Pistons will be here next week. Got everything stripped down to the bare block, all looks great. No oil squirters, just blockoff plugs like the 12 Boss motors. It has the usual machining slivers with little chunks of aluminum barely hanging on all over the place, block gets deburred tomorrow.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Getting closer. It's not done yet and I have a race Saturday. Gonna be a fun few days.

Block turned out great, crank is in and smooth. Had to order .001 rod bearings, clearance was a little tight at .0012. May do a little smoothing on the taller piston domes. Boss springs are on and Boss exhaust cams ready to go in. I did have an issue with two rods, out of the box the bolts were seized. Called MMR and had two same-weight replacements the next day.

Should have track results in a few days.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I think cost is in the 3K range doing it this way. If I had more $$ it'd be way easier to just get a shortblock and avoid the little pitfalls along the way, swap heads etc and go.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I think cost is in the 3K range doing it this way. If I had more $$ it'd be way easier to just get a shortblock and avoid the little pitfalls along the way, swap heads etc and go.

Thats the beauty of building the motor prior to grenading it. Saves you a lot of money not having to buy a bunch of new parts.

Users who are viewing this thread