Motor Advice.

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
My car is at P&Performance right now in Denver.
The motor needs new bearings (one main bearing was found in the oil pan), needs new rings (block is going to have to be honed), the heads/block need to be flattened etc.
I have the option of just repairing the problems by replacing the parts with stock replacements or building the motor up a little. I dont have a endless supply of money. :whine: I still have to run it by the parental units but I want to get some information first.
I want to put in forged pistons/rods while the motor is torn apart. Basically Im wondering if I should do this with a daily driver. Are there any problems at all that go along with running forged internals? Also, if I were to go with a forged setup, should I go ahead and get lower compression pistons? (not boosted now but would like to add a supercharger at some point running low boost) Thanks for any advice (Feel free to add any other tips/advice I havent mentioned).

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
I would definitely throw some goodies in it since its apart. If you lower the compression then you may lose some noticeable power until you put a poweradder on it. You can compensate for the loss of compression by putting some 4.10 or 4.30 gears in.
Since the motor is being pulled you should definitely look into getting some billet oil pump gears installed ($180 or so). Also look into getting a cylinder head cooling mod done www.ldcchicago.com (look on their website for the parts). Get some ARP hardware for the block and heads. Then do some research on rods and pistons. I have Ross pistons (about 9.1-9.2 comp ratio for my boosted Cobra), and Manley H-beam connecting rods. Save up some money so you can get this done now if its at all possible, will save you money down the road if you ever go with a poweradder of some sort.

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
blk96SVT said:
I would definitely throw some goodies in it since its apart. If you lower the compression then you may lose some noticeable power until you put a poweradder on it. You can compensate for the loss of compression by putting some 4.10 or 4.30 gears in.
Since the motor is being pulled you should definitely look into getting some billet oil pump gears installed ($180 or so). Also look into getting a cylinder head cooling mod done www.ldcchicago.com (look on their website for the parts). Get some ARP hardware for the block and heads. Then do some research on rods and pistons. I have Ross pistons (about 9.1-9.2 comp ratio for my boosted Cobra), and Manley H-beam connecting rods. Save up some money so you can get this done now if its at all possible, will save you money down the road if you ever go with a poweradder of some sort.
Thanks for the advice.
The car currently has 4.30s.
How often do people break the stock oil pump gears? Just curious..
Heres the only place I could find the gears, and they are $250.
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...d=238&osCsid=dfdf43c6c8050d39c316515e41efe85c
Where should I look for those?
Also, how much did the rods/pistons set you back?

blk96SVT

Established Member
I think that www.modularpowerhouse.com or www.modulardepot.com has the billet oil pump gears at that price. Its just added security since they do shatter and if the 200 dollar part fails and starves your engine of oil then its a real shame. I can't really tell you how much the pistons and rods cost since I had a shop do everything,but my shortblock with the new rings, pistons, rods, ARP hardware, machined and all that good stuff was around 3800 dollars (not real cheap but they are very good pieces in their now).

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
Well, I got the okay from my mom to go forged internals as long as I dont get some really outrageous quote from the shop. Cool stuff.
Thanks you guys for the advice.
Are there any cons at all to forged internals? I hate suprises...

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
Yeah, not really bad though, but at idle the engine isn't as smooth as it was from the factory, but nothing to worry about. I have heard that JE pistons are louder than my Ross pistons on start-up, but I don't car since I have a sweet whistle at idle to kinda drown out the pistons

Users who are viewing this thread