Motoblue pulley(retune for different pulley if its the same size?)

lthlsvt03

Established Member
I am new to the forums and just bought a 2003 MG cobra. Car came with a motoblue pulley. I believe the size is 2.75. After seeing all the bad reviews about motoblue I am worried about having this pulley on my car. What would be involved if I wanted to swap out pulleys for a RR or billetflow. Does the car need to be retuned for the different pulley if its the same size? Would I see any increases in power switching from the 2.75 to say a RR 2.65. Just for reference, the car made 474/464 with the motoblue pulley on it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Same size pullies don't need a re-tune, however if it's a different size I'd have the a/f checked out. You will likely need a pulley puller tool to get the old one off and press the new one on. I've heard more bad about there idler pullies than the blower pulley itself.

lthlsvt03

Established Member
Same size pullies don't need a re-tune, however if it's a different size I'd have the a/f checked out. You will likely need a pulley puller tool to get the old one off and press the new one on. I've heard more bad about there idler pullies than the blower pulley itself.

Thanks for the reply! Do you think it's worth the time and money to go with the 2.65? Will I see any noticeable power gains? Boost is at 13.3 psi right now

Blueline

Established Member
Just leave the 2.75 on. The motoblue pulley will be fine. I had one on my Eaton, the pulley was fine and didnt have any problems with it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the reply! Do you think it's worth the time and money to go with the 2.65? Will I see any noticeable power gains? Boost is at 13.3 psi right now

Like others have said, I'd leave it too. You won't gain much more boost, atleast not worth spending the extra money for minimal gains, if any. I've seen about 13.5 with my 2.8 pulley on a cool day. If your still running stock idlers though, I'd put money towards a better set like metco, Billetflow, or lethals new set.

Jsko

Established Member
I am currently using Billetflow Idlers, and haven't had any problem. I am using a Gates Belt # K080745 per Kenne Bells recommendations for a 2.75" KB pulley.

You can also use Cobrabob's website for any FAQ and Belt Guide:

Belt Selection Guide

Tractionless1

Established Member
Motoblue 2x bearing idler has been getting its butt beat next to my 8lb lower for 4 yrs. now without issue. Been through a Billetblow within the same timeframe.

prostkr

Established Member
Motoblue 2x bearing idler has been getting its butt beat next to my 8lb lower for 4 yrs. now without issue. Been through a Billetblow within the same timeframe.

He is not talking about an idler. He was asking about the supercharger pulley. It will be fine on there. Not much if anything can go wrong with that one if installed properly.

Tractionless1

Established Member
He is not talking about an idler. He was asking about the supercharger pulley. It will be fine on there. Not much if anything can go wrong with that one if installed properly.

I was aware of that when posting the response concerning my experience with Motoblue parts as a whole. Thanks for the proofread though.

Users who are viewing this thread