Mother In Laws

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Mine drives me insane. I keep getting lots of advise that I don't want. She is rude and disrespectful. She will try to parent our son the way she thinks is right. I have been biting my tongue lately for my wife who is trying hard to have a relationship with her. But she drives me completely insane and I don't want her in my house.

The catch is she is good with our son. He is 11 months and loves her. But she trys to change is eating habits, sleeping habits ect. I have 0 doubt that we are great parents. Our son eats good, sleeps good, is great to take anywhere.

My blood pressure boils when I know she is coming. Any advise? Anyone have similar problems?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Tell her she needs to be grandma and not mom. That's you and your wife's job.

Things like this left unchecked will ruin your ability to properly parent your son and likely also strain relations between your wife and yourself. By kind but firm with your mother in law that you and your wife are the parents, not her.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
My ex fiancee's mom is one of the reasons I dumped her.

She was content with making $12 an hour after 20 hours at the same company, and passed that thought onto her daughter. So my ex was content with $250 a week when she was working, and had no wants to do better for herself

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Tell her she needs to be grandma and not mom. That's you and your wife's job.

Things like this left unchecked will ruin your ability to properly parent your son and likely also strain relations between your wife and yourself. By kind but firm with your mother in law that you and your wife are the parents, not her.

Solid advise. Thanks. I agree with everything you said. Her mom is all we really argue about. We agree that the issues exist. We argue on how to deal with them. I know losing my cool isn't the best way. I know as our son gets older this will get harder.

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
i wanted to punch my ex wife's mom in the throat every time I saw her. she would be so nice to my face and then say all sorts of things when I wasn't around - specifically regarding how I handled our 4 year old. they believe in spoiling the kids and letting them act out because its "cute" and allowing them to get a toy each time we go into a store. I don't parent that way and that was one of the reasons we got divorced. I hope you can salvage the relationship and key off of the things you have in common for the best interest of the parties involved.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Solid advise. Thanks. I agree with everything you said. Her mom is all we really argue about. We agree that the issues exist. We argue on how to deal with them. I know losing my cool isn't the best way. I know as our son gets older this will get harder.

Let your wife have her relationship with mom. Not allowing that would be selfish and detrimental to your relationship. However, your mother in law needs to know where her boundaries with her grandson are, as well as what boundaries she has with your wife and yourself.

What you might try is setting up a schedule for your son. Follow it yourself and give her that schedule as well. If she's babysitting, or visiting, everyone needs to observe that same schedule. That way it doesn't look like you're singling her out, when in fact you are.

Also, don't forget the compliment sandwich. It goes a lot way when dealing with sensitive issues.

"Mother in law, you've been a great help to my wife and I. We really need to set a solid schedule and discipline routine for our son though. Thank you for all your support."

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I really liked my ex-mother-in-law, it was her daughter I couldn't stand.

Badbob2121

ЯTR #054
Established Member
My ex-wife's mom was a complete pain in the A**.. just another reason why Im glad I divorced that b*tch

:banana:

Deric

Established Member
One of the leading causes of having a mother-in-law is marriage.

NoThanks_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Let your wife have her relationship with mom. Not allowing that would be selfish and detrimental to your relationship. However, your mother in law needs to know where her boundaries with her grandson are, as well as what boundaries she has with your wife and yourself.

What you might try is setting up a schedule for your son. Follow it yourself and give her that schedule as well. If she's babysitting, or visiting, everyone needs to observe that same schedule. That way it doesn't look like you're singling her out, when in fact you are.

Also, don't forget the compliment sandwich. It goes a lot way when dealing with sensitive issues.

"Mother in law, you've been a great help to my wife and I. We really need to set a solid schedule and discipline routine for our son though. Thank you for all your support."

I don't want to impede the relationship between my wife and MIL. Or between my son and MIL. She has always had trouble with boundaries. Way before I came along. My wife never did anything about it. Its always bothered me. I don't like being told what to do. Thats why I am self employed lol. I could go on for hours on this subject. But solid advice again. I think the biggest thing is me just keeping my cool.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Op I so feel your pain.

My mil and I couldn't be in the same room for a while until my wife set her straight now it's actually not so bad.

I hold back because my wife wants to fix this. But I am going to have to step up again. She just brushes her off. Drives my blood pressure through the roof. I don't know anyone else that does this to me.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I hold back because my wife wants to fix this. But I am going to have to step up again. She just brushes her off. Drives my blood pressure through the roof. I don't know anyone else that does this to me.

I was literally in your shoes. Best thing you can do is 100% avoid her. If she comes over you leaves if your wife goes out to eat with her you stay home. Stay away from her at all costs cause it's better than losing your cool.

My wife and I talked about her mothers attitude and one time when her mother was giving me a hard time in front of her daughter she my wife ****ing ripped into her like the **** she was. Like I said since then things are much better. It's like my wife finally opened up her mothers eyes to the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread