Mother in accident, need some insight

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Ok this is the short version
Mom traveling on the highway in slow traffic in second lane. Tractor trailer behind her a little ways flashes his lights as if to let someone else enter the lane. 2nd tractor trailer changes lanes to get infront of 1st tractor.... To bad thats where mom is. Guy caves in rear 1/4 of her car (drivers side) and folds up his front bumper.
Mother goes up to the guy in the tractor that hit her to exchange info and he says he isnt giving it to her.
I can almost understand this cause she can get it off the accident report but there is also no need to be a dick, and the company i work for tells us to give the person the info so... continuing
The state police show up to the scene, yells at her to move the car closer to the tractor in the breakdown lane as the rescue guys are tending to the woman that was with my mother. She has back problems anyway and is 4 months pregnant so she way going to the hospital. The cop then asks my mother how she managed to get into the accident. Acuseatory??? Sounds like it to me. Had the truck driver fill out an accident report but did not let my mother fill out one and told her she couldnt have his information.
I get to the scene and make sure she is alright and i ask the cop if i can right down the drivers information, he tells me no " now get back in your truck and leave the scene now." I was kind of in shock buy how rude he was so i just looked at him funny and said " What!" and i just walked away and sat in my truck, there was no way i was leaving.
So i am just looking for advice and a little bit of a ranting session. My mother is a wreck, like she needed this added stress at this point in time.
Thanks guys
Mike

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I thought the RI state Cops were nice like in that Jim Carrey movie???

Almost every cop i have had to deal with has been nice to me. I have never had a problem with even a cop having a bad day, and if they are in a shitty mood i always get the info that i need weather it be a phone number or the accident report number. This guy wouldnt give me shit if he had a bag full.
This guy needs to have his wife rip his nuts with her teeth

FiaCobra

Established Member
I'm no expert but if i understand correctly, the cop will ask the trucker what happened (put the short version on the report)...next, he'll do the same with your mom. Mom will have to go to the issuing agency and apply for a copy of the accident report. That report should be forwarded to your insurance company if you don't have an attorney. (make a copy for your recods of everything). If i were mom, i'd get an attorney since it wasn't her fault.

jshen

Established Member
Accident Reports

Are public records and open to inspection and available to you if you go to the PD and get one. If what is in the report is not accurate- than let the officer or his supervisor know. If the facts you state are accurate, then the trucker is "at fault" but ..you were not a witness to the incident and there may be a lot that of information the officer had..and you did not. For example, who was cited for the traffic vio.? There should be a court date in which the parties can explain what happened.

In this state, exchanging information at the scene is common policy and if police are not there- it is mandatory on the parties and failure to do so is a crime.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Thanks guys
I have been in a few accidents my fault and not my fault and i have always had to fill out a report before i left the scene. Thats what i really thought was screwed up

Users who are viewing this thread