Most horrible traction ever at dragstrip tonight

Kevin P

Established Member
Good gawd, weather was great tonight at Edgewater near Cincinnati, but traction was horrid. I ran a 12.9 at 116, and nearly hit the wall in third gear, and then a 13.2 at 120, totally blowing the tires off again WITH TRACTION CONTROL ON. Watched a few other cars have the same issue. One dude ended up in the other lane around the 100ft mark.

Last May I ran 11.91 at 123 at the same track on the same tires, with much worse air conditions. Oh well. Track prep must have been nonexistent tonight.

2010 GT500, 562rwhp, Continental Extreme DW tires.

ZX6Ray

Established Member
Good gawd, weather was great tonight at Edgewater near Cincinnati, but traction was horrid. I ran a 12.9 at 116, and nearly hit the wall in third gear, and then a 13.2 at 120, totally blowing the tires off again WITH TRACTION CONTROL ON. Watched a few other cars have the same issue. One dude ended up in the other lane around the 100ft mark.

Last May I ran 11.91 at 123 at the same track on the same tires, with much worse air conditions. Oh well. Track prep must have been nonexistent tonight.

2010 GT500, 562rwhp, Continental Extreme DW tires.

Had the exact same experience at Memphis International Raceway... Won't be going back there anytime soon. Track wasn't prepped well at all and I spun 1st, 2nd and 3rd as well but didn't come close to the wall but I could imagine your butt puckering up with the shelby shaking it lose at 100 mph. :eek: Good save!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I don't know why anyone tries to hit the track on street tires. I wouldn't expect any different results than this.

Kevin P

Established Member
Did you miss the part where I said I ran 11.91 on the same tires? That was plenty fast. You just never know what you are going to get for prep around here.

I have made hundreds of passes on drag slicks, I know that's the answer, but its not part of my current plans for this car. Just out having fun at this point.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Did you miss the part where I said I ran 11.91 on the same tires? That was plenty fast. You just never know what you are going to get for prep around here.

I have made hundreds of passes on drag slicks, I know that's the answer, but its not part of my current plans for this car. Just out having fun at this point.

I got that, but that's the problem with street tires, they're just not consistent. You were surprised they didn't work, I am not surprised at all.

Kevin P

Established Member
Understood I get your point.

Its not the tires that are inconsistent, its the track. Other cars were having serious issues too. But you are right, a better tire would mask some of the track issues.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Understood I get your point.

Its not the tires that are inconsistent, its the track. Other cars were having serious issues too. But you are right, a better tire would mask some of the track issues.

I agree completely. Even with slicks there will be nights when the track just sucks. But even then, the 60ft's only go from 1.5's to 1.6 or 1.7's (for me anyway). The inconsistencies with street tires is generally much greater.

BLK93GT

Established Member
That happens at the track I run at as well. I try to only go on a Saturday or Sunday when they prep well. I had a few days where I was hooking good on my stock F1 G:2 and that's not common LOL. I am confident I could have ran a 12.2@118 on stock tires if I could shift into 2nd normal. The best I could get was 12.69@117 last time at the track on a Fri. night. Spinning bad 1,2, grabbed in 3rd. Be careful!!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yeah Kevin, agree with the others about the street tires with a 560 RWHP heavy ass torque monster of a car. Going to always be hit or miss with street tires. What were your 60' times?

Kevin P

Established Member
Yeah Kevin, agree with the others about the street tires with a 560 RWHP heavy ass torque monster of a car. Going to always be hit or miss with street tires. What were your 60' times?

2.3 seconds. Terrible. I did a string of 2.02 and one 1.99 last trip.

Users who are viewing this thread