More TOB stories...

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Well I am now on my third TOB, third clutch assembly, and second flywheel. TOB noise has never gone away. The last time it was replaced was about 4 months ago, when it started squeeling again I figured it was something I would just have to live with.

So the other day I'm at a red light with the windows up and radio on minding my own business. Over the radio I can hear this faint noise, don't think much of it car makes noises oh well. The guy next to me in a blue S4 beeps his horn to get my attention, at this point I turn down the radio and hear the TOB yelling. The guy makes some dumb ford comment, which I agree with him and says something else which I didn't really hear or even wanted to listen to him. Sorry, end of story.....the light turns green he launches really hard gets the jump, and I pass him before I shift out of first. We go till about the top of third, at this point I can hardly see his head lights, so I slow to normal driving speeds and wait for him to catch up. He motions like he wants to talk but I fliped him off and kept driving.

So anyway I thought I could live with the TOB squeel but decided I can't and won't so back to the dealer it goes on Monday for the forth time.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
hahah

Nice kill. :beer:

Hope it gets fixed quickly. I believe I'm having slight issues again, but I don't want to deal with them.

Last edited:

OverToad

Established Member
He motions like he wants to talk but I fliped him off and kept driving.

I wouldn't have done that, but to each his own.

In fact, I would have paid him to pull over, then ask him to repeat what he said about Ford :)
Even more so, I'd remind him that not only did he get beat by a Ford, but from the obvious sound, a busted Ford at that ;-)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I feel your pain. I called about my worsening TOB and let them know annotating it isn't enough any more and it's becoming increasinly difficult to shift. Right now I'm waiting for an appointment to have an engineer drive my car with me. :shrug: Why who knows, but hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
I feel your pain. I called about my worsening TOB and let them know annotating it isn't enough any more and it's becoming increasinly difficult to shift. Right now I'm waiting for an appointment to have an engineer drive my car with me. :shrug: Why who knows, but hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Gonna let him drive it with your 2.8 on it??

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
when i test drove it with the tech guy i was the one driving it. That way they could see how I reproduced the prob so they could do the same when I'm not there. But as it turned out, the sound happened immediately on startup... and also when driving it.

btw, I have the 2.93 and they put about 60 miles on my car when it was with them for the 3 or 4 days. They replaced the tranny so I don't think you'll need to worry about the 2.8

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
also, if you are having no luck with the current dealer that you are working with, try going to another one.

I did this and told the new dealer I took mine to that the other dealer said they couldn't diagnose the problem and they didn't know how to fix it. (this is the truth... they didn't know what the hell to look for)

by me saying this I believe it caused them ,the new dealership I was talking with, to want to drop the tranny to get a better look at what the problem might be. It might be worth a shot for you to go somewhere else.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
Gonna let him drive it with your 2.8 on it??

Yeah, why not? An aftermarket pulley and chip have nothing to do with the Tranny/Clutch/TOB (Service managers words). Additionally I had the verify the existance of the problem before I did the install. This is the same dealership that replaced my clutch the first time so they're aware of the duration and trend of my transmission problems.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Just curious man.

I'll be the first to agree and help you document that the issue has nothing at all to do with your mods.

My transmission has already been replaced.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
And for those who think my "clutch killer" name applies to me, it's not. Rather it's the flavor of the day for my car IE. 2 clutches dead so far. The last one barely lasted 2K miles.

Although I had been known to be able to destroy the Centerforce clutches I had installed on my old '94 which saw the track twice a week, every week for years....... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread