More timing?

SPoole

Established Member
So I have 600whp from 14lbs of boost, but I have noticed some people making more power with similar boost levels. Right now I have 8.8 compression on forged internals, and I am running 11:1 AF and only 16deg of timing. My question is really how much timing is safe on 93 octane tune at my boost level. I have plenty of fuel available if I just made more boost but I am wondering if I can just make some more power thru timing. I know there are a ton of variables, just looking for an idea here.
For more info on my build see the thread in my sig.
BTW, goal HP is 638 to the wheels.
Thanks

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
You will make more power with boost over adding timing. Now saying that once your out of the turbos volume range than it will make more power off timing.

SPoole

Established Member
I know more boost could definitely be a sure way to get the power, just wondering if I am a bit too conservative on timing.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
So I have 600whp from 14lbs of boost, but I have noticed some people making more power with similar boost levels. Right now I have 8.8 compression on forged internals, and I am running 11:1 AF and only 16deg of timing. My question is really how much timing is safe on 93 octane tune at my boost level. I have plenty of fuel available if I just made more boost but I am wondering if I can just make some more power thru timing. I know there are a ton of variables, just looking for an idea here.
For more info on my build see the thread in my sig.
BTW, goal HP is 638 to the wheels.
Thanks

haha thats a random number

SPoole

Established Member
Not random, I was shopping for a Corvette when I bought this car and that is flywheel HP of a ZR1. I just want it at the wheels.

prostkr

Established Member
I would add a pound of boost rather than timing. 16* on 93 is plenty. I doubt you will get 38 hp by adding timing, turbo cars like it low and don't really pick up much by adding timing. The hp you think your missing could just be dyno differences. I wouldn't sweat it.

SPoole

Established Member
I don't want to sound like I'm stressing over it, the power level I am at feels good for a street driven stick car. Just a bit curious if I was too conservative. I was looking at some specs on another thread for forced induction setups, and I saw some stock bottom end 03/04's running more boost and more timing than me on pump gas tunes.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
What heads do you have? Lots of factors are involved obviously. 16* for pump gas and that boost is pretty good.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Offtopic but what did you end up doing with your transmission? My car is back down at Bob's. He replaced the input and counter shaft in the new t56 due to whine. Haven't heard if it fixed the problem yet.

SPoole

Established Member
Offtopic but what did you end up doing with your transmission? My car is back down at Bob's. He replaced the input and counter shaft in the new t56 due to whine. Haven't heard if it fixed the problem yet.

Still T-45, I am about to put the 4th one in. Zack from The T45 Source claims to be able to handle what I have and he is giving me a one year unlimited mileage warranty for a very reasonable price. Since the last couple have started making noise within a couple hundred miles it shouldn't take long to find out if it will hold up.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Just put more boost on it..... Safer IMO

Hard to compare my combo to your but im running 18 psi and 16 deg on 91 pump. I have meth added for saftey but the tune was done with the Meth off and had no issue. I would add a couple more pounds of boost 2-3 should get you there. Should still have room on pump but its getting to the iffy point. 16-17 pounds would still be safe IMO

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Hard to compare my combo to your but im running 18 psi and 16 deg on 91 pump. I have meth added for saftey but the tune was done with the Meth off and had no issue. I would add a couple more pounds of boost 2-3 should get you there. What size is the turbo ? Should still have room on pump but its getting to the iffy point. 16-17 pounds would still be safe IMO

Out of curiosity, how much power did you make with that setup and what fuel system components are you using? Also are you using straight meth or 50/50?

Users who are viewing this thread