More questions

baddboxer

Established Member
I apologize up front for the lengthy post, and all of the other threads I've made in the past few weeks. New to the Cobra, and trying to do as much research as I can, as quickly as I can...

Purchased car off the market a couple of weeks ago, and haven't even put a 100 miles on it yet. There are a couple of things I want to get sorted out before I start driving it too often.

First off, I have a squeal/squeak coming from either the belt of the idler (posted on this already). So I have a new belt and 100mm Metco idler on the way, so hopefully that takes care of the noise piece. Also pertaining to that (at least I hope) the squeal goes away once the car is warm, until you get in high RPM's. Not only does the noise come back, but you can hear the blower whining loud and clear until you hit about 5500 RPM's, then the whine changes pitches to almost airy sounding. It did this to both times I got on it, and I haven't driven the car since. I am hopeful that this may be from the belt stretching, and causing belt slipping?

2nd issues, the car is a bolt on stage 5 ported eaton, currently running a steggy 93 tune that came on SCT Xcal tuner. It came with Dyno sheets from Steigmier showing 513rwhp, but still running stock MAF and no wideband gauge. I just ordered SCT BA 2600, but that will require a re-tune correct? I assume Steigmier can't do revisions, especially from 08', so should I get it tuned else where? I obviously don't want to lose any power, just make sure I am on a safe tune. I reached out to Don Lasato today, and he will be the tuner I use if I go that route. He recommended NO WOT pulls until MAF upgrade.

Thanks Guys, and again apologies for all of the redundant questions!

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
1. What belt length are you running? if you need to try another belt I have pretty much every belt from 73 to 78inch you can borrow to try. All the smaller belts I have no use for since going with the 4lb pulley.

2. Yes changing the MAF would require a retune. You can log your MAF counts at WOT and see what they read, max is 1023, if it hits that it means you're out of MAF. Don Lasota has awesome customer service and he wrote the tuning book that most use to get started.

Sounds like its time to order a wideband sensor.

baddboxer

Established Member
1. What belt length are you running? if you need to try another belt I have pretty much every belt from 73 to 78inch you can borrow to try. All the smaller belts I have no use for since going with the 4lb pulley.

2. Yes changing the MAF would require a retune. You can log your MAF counts at WOT and see what they read, max is 1023, if it hits that it means you're out of MAF. Don Lasota has awesome customer service and he wrote the tuning book that most use to get started.

Sounds like its time to order a wideband sensor.
That's awesome, thank you! Has a 74.5" belt on it now, so that's what I ordered from Summit. 2.67 upper with 100mm idler. Recommendation from previous thread was to stay with 74.5". I will get back with you to possibly borrow a different size if what I ordered doesn't do the trick..

cj428mach

Established Member
That's awesome, thank you! Has a 74.5" belt on it now, so that's what I ordered from Summit. 2.67 upper with 100mm idler. Recommendation from previous thread was to stay with 74.5". I will get back with you to possibly borrow a different size if what I ordered doesn't do the trick..

Yeah let me know if you need one, you can bring the car down and try what you need. I have 2, 74" gatorback belts hanging on the wall out in the garage right now.

I never ran a stock eaton with a small pulley like that, but I can say when you step up to 2.3l blowers with pulleys that small you really need to run the belt with the tensioner almost maxed out. Also if the belt is new it will stretch so check what its like after you run it a little bit as you'll be surprised how much they stretch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread