More local crackdowns

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I pulled this story from the Fresno Bee, the thing that caught my eye was the fact the authorities are partnering more and more with agents from the BAR who are experts in engine modifications. They are now hosting day-long seminars for the purpose of training police officers on what to look for under your hood. My personal belief is that this is not just a California problem, this will lead to subtle changes for all states and will gain momentum as it moves forward. When you elect officials, you should be checking to see how they stand on such issues, since they write the laws - we just enforce them. I buddy of mine with Fresno PD tells me they are under tremendous political pressure to get a handle on their street racing problem, fueled by several high-profile incidents where deaths occurred. In last night's sweep two owners refused to open their hoods. Both were arrested and held overnight. Their cars were impounded for 30 days.

Authorities target street racing

A multiagency crackdown on street racing in Fresno resulted in 44 moving and equipment violations, one DUI arrest and six impounded vehicles.

Officers with the Fresno Police Department and California Highway Patrol conducted a sweep on Blackstone Avenue from 10 p.m. Saturday to 2 a.m. Sunday. Agents with the Bureau of Automotive Repair helped search for illegal engine modifications.

During the stepped-up enforcement, police arrested 20-year-old Jonah Coleman of Sanger on suspicion of evading officers. Coleman was stopped for riding a motorcycle without a rear license plate when he sped off, leading officers on a 30-mile chase that reached speeds of more than 100 mph.

The chase ended in Sanger, where Coleman was arrested.

jshen

Established Member
Nationwide

This is quickly becoming a nationwide interest. We have acquired a helocopter to assist. I am trying to introduce legislation to sieze and condemn racers' cars.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
I agree organized street racing is ridiculous... 10+ cars etc. I dont really know the statistics, but how many people die from street racing a year? 50ish? Compare that to DUI's its not even close. People get arrested for dui's but it just kind of accepted and there isnt a strong outcry like there is in street racing, when street racing seems to be safer if street racing and safe are even aloud to be in the same sentence.

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
I agree with the penalties for Street racing, but I'm not sure that I agree with the comdemn street racers' cars part. Are we going to do the same for the vehicles of drunk drivers?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Not sure I understand why someone should be peanalized for engine modifications. As long as the car passes emissions, why would it matter?

So if you have an intake, exhaust, and pulley on your car, it can get impounded? This whole thing is going too far.

As our rights continue to get stripped away, I'd imagine a public backlash will occur someday. If we allow this to continue, ten years from now we will all be living in a state similar to Nazi Germany, or communist Russia. :nonono:

rust0r

Established Member
i dont agree with street racing, but as its said above and a million times before, there are alot worse crimes being commited that result in many more victims than street racing, example: drunk driving, child molestors, rapists, the list goes on, take your pick

machfelon

Jersey's Phinest
Established Member
Depends on where you are racing....If you are in a big city the cops are not gonna give chase because of the risk to other people!!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
rust0r said:
i dont agree with street racing, but as its said above and a million times before, there are alot worse crimes being commited that result in many more victims than street racing, example: drunk driving, child molestors, rapists, the list goes on, take your pick

Those are worse crimes than street racing. But when a state or locality enact laws that make street racing a crime, then they are equally as illegal.

The difference with street racing versus child molestation, rape, murder, etc is that you can create a task force and with little effort you can curtail street racing. You cant create a task force that effectively curtails child molestation, rape or murder, as they are usually crimes of opportunity done in secrecy. So they are two different things.

Besides the fact that I doubt there is ever a case of child molestation, rape or murder that is put aside in favor of a street racing investigation.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
NyteByte said:
Not sure I understand why someone should be peanalized for engine modifications. As long as the car passes emissions, why would it matter?

So if you have an intake, exhaust, and pulley on your car, it can get impounded? This whole thing is going too far.

As our rights continue to get stripped away, I'd imagine a public backlash will occur someday. If we allow this to continue, ten years from now we will all be living in a state similar to Nazi Germany, or communist Russia. :nonono:

In this state, none of those cars will pass smog since there is a visual portion of the test. In many of these cases, the cats have been removed and off-road pipes are installed.

As there is with anything, there is a cause and effect, or consequences for actions. No one cares of you modify your car, just be aware of the consequences if caught.

The real source of the problem per se is not the street racer who finds a country back road where he and a few friends race their cars. It is the highly visible groups who use well-traveled roadways on weekends placing others at risk.

As in any enforcement campaign, there will be some amount of over-zealous activity to gain quick compliance before a more sensible climate returns.

Just FYI - I pulled the following article from the same source, published just below the street racing article. It looks like it was a bad week to be a street racer or a drunk driver in Fresno..................

6 arrested at Fresno checkpoints

Fresno police impounded 80 vehicles and arrested six drivers on DUI charges during two sobriety and drivers license checkpoints Saturday night. The checkpoints were set up at Fruit and McKinley avenues and Belmont and Glenn avenues.

The vehicles were impounded for drivers license violations

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
mswaim said:
In this state, none of those cars will pass smog since there is a visual portion of the test. In many of these cases, the cats have been removed and off-road pipes are installed. [/B]

If the cats have been removed, then I can see the problem.

However, what if the car can still pass emissions with a pulley, intake, and exhaust.

I guess I'm not understanding what the "visual" part of the test is. How could they impound your car if they "see" a pulley or an aftermarket intake that's 50 state legal. This just seems Nazi to me.

I'm glad I don't live in California!

SEANGT

Established Member
I live here, and I go through DUI checkpoints almost yearly. It sucks but I agree with them in order to stop drunk driving. The one thing I do not agree with is the inability to mod engines. If they still pass smog, I don't see any problem with it. Sure it encourages street racing, but I don't see a huge problem with street racing where it would be necessary to take away people's freedom to have fast cars. If you accelerate from 0-65 in 4 seconds then you are not breaking any law if the speed limit is 65.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
SEANGT said:
I live here, and I go through DUI checkpoints almost yearly. It sucks but I agree with them in order to stop drunk driving. The one thing I do not agree with is the inability to mod engines. If they still pass smog, I don't see any problem with it. Sure it encourages street racing, but I don't see a huge problem with street racing where it would be necessary to take away people's freedom to have fast cars. If you accelerate from 0-65 in 4 seconds then you are not breaking any law if the speed limit is 65.

Haha, tehcnically you are. I always thought that was the case... but there is a thing called exhibition of speed. :cuss:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
NyteByte said:
If the cats have been removed, then I can see the problem.

However, what if the car can still pass emissions with a pulley, intake, and exhaust.

I guess I'm not understanding what the "visual" part of the test is. How could they impound your car if they "see" a pulley or an aftermarket intake that's 50 state legal. This just seems Nazi to me.

In many cases (under our standards) cars with pulleys and altered engine timing/fuels curves run rich and will not pass either portion of the test. Since most of these cars are new and are exempt from smog checks for several years, the owners do not know if they would pass smog or not. BTW - That "50 state legal" reference is not worth the paper any of the manufacturers print it on.

Steeltwo

Established Member
SEANGT said:
yah but what if you dont peel out?
there is a law here that if you just gun it off the line and take it up to the speed limit you can recieve a ticket.

i think it is called excessive acceleration

but here is what I do not get.

if I were to take a street legal super car like the Enzo.

And accelerate at 1/4 throttle from 0-60. So pretty much taking it easy with a car like that, the enzo will out accelerate a honda civic at WOT.

hmmmm

SEANGT

Established Member
How would you be able to give some one a ticket for accelerating "too fast" when they have not even burned out their tires. Please explain :(. So what is the point that you cannot cross? would it be something similar to a change of 15 mph in 1 second?

rust0r

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Those are worse crimes than street racing. But when a state or locality enact laws that make street racing a crime, then they are equally as illegal.

The difference with street racing versus child molestation, rape, murder, etc is that you can create a task force and with little effort you can curtail street racing. You cant create a task force that effectively curtails child molestation, rape or murder, as they are usually crimes of opportunity done in secrecy. So they are two different things.

Besides the fact that I doubt there is ever a case of child molestation, rape or murder that is put aside in favor of a street racing investigation.

damn good answer, i guess street racing is a little more tangiable to stop than those other crimes, sadly :beer:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
SEANGT said:
How would you be able to give some one a ticket for accelerating "too fast" when they have not even burned out their tires. Please explain :(. So what is the point that you cannot cross? would it be something similar to a change of 15 mph in 1 second?

As I've stated here many times, our laws really have two distinct interpretations - there is the Letter of the Law and there is the Spirit of the Law.

The Letter of the Law is its purest interpretation ie, one mile over the posted limit yields a citation everytime you are stopped, no exceptions.

The Spirit of the Law is obtaining the legislative goal, gaining compliance through voluntary action augmented by issuing punitive citations to those who blatantly disregard the legislative intent.

In the California Vehicle Code there is no specific provision for citing someone who wishes to accelerate from 0-65 at full throttle. However, since your actions are not in the public interest and it is obvious you feel pushing that envelope is worth the risk - then there are many provisions in the code that could be used to get you in front of a judge where you can explain your reasoning.

Cause and effect, life is all about cause and effect.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
NyteByte said:
This just seems Nazi to me.

I'm glad to be on the Tn and KY border. I have two states that I can register in case one follows the bad states laws.

Users who are viewing this thread