More IMRC Delete help

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Okay so I finally got around to finishing my IMRC deletes (I'm military and always busy). Well we wrapped everything up yesterday. While I was hooking all the coolant hoses my buddy installed all the plugs. They weren't in the correct order so the car wouldn't turn on. I got everything corrected with new plugs and went to turn the car on... Well it sounded like shit!:fm: It had a loud knock to it and wouldn't stay on by itself.

So I had my wife turn the car on while I listened to the engine. The noise (knock) is coming from the intake. So what could it be:shrug:. Maybe something (screw, nut, etc...) fell in while we were putting everything together.

What could it be?

Any help or advice is appreciated. PacificgreenSvt I may have to call you.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I would say... Dont start it till you can pull it apart and verify you didnt drop anything in.. Then double check everything.. Im guessing something fell inside..

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I would say... Dont start it till you can pull it apart and verify you didnt drop anything in.. Then double check everything.. Im guessing something fell inside..

+1
Take that intake back off & look for anything funny.
Give me a call, Im giong out of town-Chicago-for the weekend, but I'll have my phone on me.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
sounds like something is rubling around there do not start it until you take it all back apart, did you use loctite on all the bolts?

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
sounds like something is rubling around there do not start it until you take it all back apart, did you use loctite on all the bolts?

Actually I did use some loctite. I didn't know if I should have used some or not. My friend said it was probably a good thing to use some, so we did.

Well I took the intake off, and this is what I found. What do you think? Should I put it back together and hope everything is good? How would this effect the idle of the car?

Thanks for the help guys.

IMG_8401.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Oh yeah I forgot to ask. Where do you guys think these little pieces of metal came from?

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I found everything in the lower intake. I turned it upside down and it fell out.:shrug:

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
not sure WHAT those pieces could come off of but it's not good when you have metal in the lower intake....or any part of the intake for that matter.

Good luck getting all this sorted out man.....:(

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
not sure WHAT those pieces could come off of but it's not good when you have metal in the lower intake....or any part of the intake for that matter.

Good luck getting all this sorted out man.....:(

Toasty

Established Member
You need to really take the engine to a shop that has a remote bore camera they can stick down the spark plug holes and inspect each cylinder. Either that or pull your heads.

Doesnt make sense that all the small bits are in the lower intake. I'd be inclined to think its casting flash from the lower intake thats broken off and settled in the lower intake.

If you had dropped something into the cylinder head intake runners while you had the IMRC's off, the resulting smashed bits of metal would almost certainly not make their way BACK into the intake manifold.

Still doesnt answer why you have a knocking sound. There's the possibility that you did indeed drop something down a intake runner, and that the bits in the manifold are just a 'red herring'.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
You have to be real careful from here... I wouldn't risk firing up that motor without being 100% sure nothing made it's way down into the heads.

Do what Toasty said, have a shop use a bore camera or find one that you can borrow. Good luck.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
look at the valves and see if you see any parts missing, this is strang. I have a feeling those are left over pieces of a larger bolt or something. The fact you have knocking prob means you sucked some of that shit inside the motor, I think its time for a pro, you may be up for a tear down...sorry bud...Btw examine the upper /lower intake for anything that looks like metal may have broken off from

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I would get a shop vac.. tape a smaller diameter tube to it... small enough to fit in the spark plug holes and down the intake.. and try and suck anything I can out..

Gettting it scoped with a camera is a good idea too..

I think it looks like a piston ring to me..

Try and get a flash light and see into the holes under the intake to see if you get all the parts out..

Users who are viewing this thread