More Beefcake Torque Booster R&D

ColoStang12

Established Member
Just wrapped up installing Beefcake’s torque booster setup with the Tial wastegate and 3.33 pulley and thought I would provide some data. I am bad about checking up on posts on these sites, so I will try to include all of the relevant info in this post.

This is all based on the Beefcake special as a starting point. I also modified my previous Airaid CAI to work with the Paxton inlet tube. First, I should note that I was not starting off with the stock pulley. I had already dropped down to the 3.47 pulley to be able to get to 9.7 lbs of boost up here in Denver. We have to drop down further than most of you because of the lack of air up here. So, I have three runs to compare for you: 3.6 pulley (the first one I installed with the kit), 3.47 pulley with long tubes (installed at same time), and 3.33 pulley with wastegate. The dyno’s correction factors for all three runs are pretty similar (1.25, 1.24, and 1.23 respectively).

At 6,000 rpm’s, here's the difference:
3.6: 5.64 lbs boost, 578.45 rwhp, 506.44 ft-lbs torque
3.47: 6.79 lbs boost, 673.47 rwhp, 587.24 ft-lbs torque
3.33: 7.31 lbs boost, 694.43 rwhp, 598.96 ft-lbs torque

Peak numbers:
3.6: 7.82 lbs boost, 686.62 rwhp, 508.68 ft-lbs torque
3.47: 9.77 lbs boost, 806.83 rwhp, 589.77 ft-lbs torque
3.33: 9.27 lbs boost, 748.8 rwhp, 601.93 ft-lbs torque

The torque booster setup produced almost 100 rwhp and 92 more lb/ft of torque over the 3.6 pulley in the 5-6,000 rpm range. It only produced a little bit more rwhp and torque than the 3.47 pulley in the midrange, but we were able to pull almost 6 degrees of timing back out of it to produce those numbers.

The torque booster isn’t showing huge gains on the chart over a 3.47, but it allows me to run a lot less timing and provides a much safer curve should I drive the car at lower altitudes. The wastegate will blow off the excess boost, and the lower timing should keep me in a safer range than I was running with the 3.47.

The verdict: I am extremely happy with the results. My goal was to pick up a little bit in the mid-range, where I actually like to drive and shift the car. If you are looking for huge top end horsepower numbers then go with a little bit larger pulley and throw a ton of timing at it. If you have a 3.6 pulley (or especially the stock 3.8 on the Paxton), then skip the 3.47 and go straight to this setup.

*For those of you who aren’t used to seeing horsepower numbers at altitude, the 806.83 run was only 650.2 uncorrected – probably right at the max you would want to run on stock internals, if not a little above. I plan to swap out the motor for a built bottom end over the winter and play with some smaller pulleys in the spring. Should be fun with the wastegate!

Thanks to Beefcake for the setup and Rob Williams at RWR Motorsports for the tune. The car feels better and crisper than ever before.

ColoStang12

Established Member
I'll try to post the charts. I just couldn't figure it out on this forum. Didn't feel like posting on another site and then linking over.

16 degrees timing.

E-85. Should have mentioned that.

ColoStang12

Established Member
6 rib setup - runs okay with a little bit of slip at the very top but no noticeable slip until above 6,500. Since the point of this upgrade was to get more in the middle and not necessarily up top, I'm not too concerned about it. If you go any lower than 3.33 pulley I would definitely go to 8 rib.

And finally, here's the chart (sorry for chopping off the very top when I printed it, but you can still see the important parts):

Blue line: 3.6 pulley
Green line: 3.47 pulley with long tubes (and a bunch of timing - around 21-22 degrees)
Red line: 3.33 pulley with waste gate

9rl3.jpg

Last edited:

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Look at the correction factor 1.25 lol not knocking it but that's why its high. Did you get any uncorrected numbers?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Holy big graph. I was also going to say something doesn't seem right but was unsure. Those look like typical gains from boost increase and headers, and no shift in how the power band is with an addition of the torque booster setup, maybe I'm just looking at the graph wrong.

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I would REALLY like to see graphs from someone who added the TQ booster kit, and still ran the same max boost as before. I just don't see the PD type TQ like some are claiming. You can't compare a non w/g'ed setup maxing at 7.x psi to a w/g'ed setup making over 9psi. When this idea came out, I was half excited to see how it turned out, but I am not that impressed. To still be at 4psi at 4500rpms and max at 9.xpsi !?!?!? Not even close to PD type boost patterns. This is too bad, I thought it was gonna possibly change my mind about which type of blower...

ColoStang12

Established Member
LOL - chart is definitely huge. Wanted it to be big enough to be able to read the numbers but WOW, it uploaded a HUGE version.

I warned you in the my first post above that we have mega-correction numbers up here at altitude. We always have to take that into consideration.

I wouldn't claim that this kit will give you PD-like torque curves. But, the max boost with Beefcake's setup is almost identical to the boost I was producing with the 3.47 pulley (within half a pound). In my opinion, the big advantage to this setup is that the curve is easy on the motor at lower rpm's and I can run a lot less timing in the middle and up top. Most of the PD guys I see running huge numbers are pushing too much boost for the stock motor and are throwing a crap ton of timing at it. That's a lot of stress on the motor.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
More power is stress on the motor..no matter how you look at it. And using less timing to make the power is only because you're running higher cylinder pressures. I don't see how that's a whole lot safer. Either way you are pushing close to the limits of your available timing advance. If you're not, then you're leaving a lot of power on the table. That's the whole idea of tuning. Ya, you're running 6 less degrees of timing, but you are probably as close to too much timing as someone running 6 more degrees of timing on lower cylinder pressures.

ColoStang12

Established Member
All I can tell you is how the car runs and responds now versus the 3.47 pulley with no waste gate and more timing.

The question at issue is whether someone who already has a Paxton blower and 3.6 or 3.8 pulley should consider Beefcake's torque booster setup, and my opinion is that they should. I liked the Paxton blower with the 3.6, but it is much more responsive and fun to drive now.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
All I can tell you is how the car runs and responds now versus the 3.47 pulley with no waste gate and more timing.

The question at issue is whether someone who already has a Paxton blower and 3.6 or 3.8 pulley should consider Beefcake's torque booster setup, and my opinion is that they should. I liked the Paxton blower with the 3.6, but it is much more responsive and fun to drive now.

That is all that matter :beer: Sorry, wasn't trying to rain on your parade.

Stevem17500

Established Member

Op. Is ur car a manual or auto....from the numbers I would guess manual

ColoStang12

Established Member
That is all that matter :beer: Sorry, wasn't trying to rain on your parade.

Ha. No problem. I didn't take it that way at all. We did a lot experimenting with the tune and found this to be the sweet spot. I'm an admitted fan of the centri's and turbos. If I didn't have this setup, I would look long and hard at JPC's new turbo kit. I've just always been a little hesitant to go with a turbo because of the horror stories I hear from guys about spending more time working on their cars than actually driving them.

mhyjek

Established Member
The torque booster setup produced almost 100 rwhp and 92 more lb/ft of torque over the 3.6 pulley in the 5-6,000 rpm range. It only produced a little bit more rwhp and torque than the 3.47 pulley in the midrange, but we were able to pull almost 6 degrees of timing back out of it to produce those numbers.

The torque booster isn’t showing huge gains on the chart over a 3.47, but it allows me to run a lot less timing and provides a much safer curve should I drive the car at lower altitudes. The wastegate will blow off the excess boost, and the lower timing should keep me in a safer range than I was running with the 3.47.

The verdict: I am extremely happy with the results. My goal was to pick up a little bit in the mid-range, where I actually like to drive and shift the car. If you are looking for huge top end horsepower numbers then go with a little bit larger pulley and throw a ton of timing at it. If you have a 3.6 pulley (or especially the stock 3.8 on the Paxton), then skip the 3.47 and go straight to this setup.

QUOTE]

I think the that you made close to the same power with 3.3 vs 3.47 with 6 degrees less timing is huge!!!! And that is why the TQ numbers are very close between the two. I wonder if you added more timing in the lower rpm range could you get more TQ with the 3.3 and than taper it more on the top RPM band. I think with TQ booster there are more tuning options allowing for faster and more responsive driving paxton setup. Glad you are happy and it has better street manors!

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the informative post and i'm sure the car feels ALOT better on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread