More battery corrosion

DaFreak

Established Member
I know this has been brought up before but thought I would add to the count.

Noticed this today:

DSC04423_zpsb7e47bd3.jpg

DSC04424_zps6b1c0f93.jpg

Cleaned my best and reattached:

DSC04431_zps1dfc59dd.jpg

Check yours before it's too late. :bash:

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I never knew this was a problem. Maybe its climate related? In in hot dry Las Vegas and not a bit of corrosion on my factory battery after almost 3 years.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
You might want to put a little dielectric grease on the terminal to keep it from happening again. My $.02

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Just paint it with spray paint. Protects and seals but doesn't attract dirt like grease.

It's what we do for boats.

6-Speed

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to my negative battery terminal. I believe it's caused by a leak in the seal around the post. I replaced my battery and sprayed CRC battery terminal protector on each of the posts.

DaFreak

Established Member
I never knew this was a problem. Maybe its climate related? In in hot dry Las Vegas and not a bit of corrosion on my factory battery after almost 3 years.

I am in a humid env. But the car has never seen any wet days and it garaged. Who knows???

You might want to put a little dielectric grease on the terminal to keep it from happening again. My $.02

I will add this. Thanks for the tip.

Just paint it with spray paint. Protects and seals but doesn't attract dirt like grease.

It's what we do for boats.

Good tip. Will do. Thanks!

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When these threads first surfaced, I checked mine and they were fine but it reminded me to do PM on battery. Went ahead and shot then with battery terminal spray then did my other cars. Cheap and easy to do.

69b302

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to my negative battery terminal. I believe it's caused by a leak in the seal around the post. I replaced my battery and sprayed CRC battery terminal protector on each of the posts.

+1, corrosion that keeps coming back is usually leak related.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I use those little felt do-nuts between the terminal and post and I've not had any corrosion while using them.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

^^^I think this is the problem also. I had a mid-90's Cobra with a 10 year old oem battery that did the same thing. When the engine compartment and charging system would heat up the battery, the liquid and vapors in the battery would expand and the acid vapor would get on the terminal and post causing corrosion. Same post and terminal always.

R

Users who are viewing this thread