Moooooooorrrrreeeee problems.

94venomV8

Established Member
Ok so I finally got the k member from upr in my car and the motor and turbo kit went in fine however new problem. The turbo is too big and about 1/4" away from the rad. So I can't put my factory electric fan in and am going to have to do a pusher fan in front of the rad. It's not a huge issue and knew it would be close. My question is though 1. The factory wiring to the electric fan, which wire is what? I see there are 3 wires but the new fan I'm looking at only has 2 wires. Next question, what fan should I get? I'm looking on jets and summit and they have so many, I don't know what cfm the factory one is but I'm guessing a 750-1000cfm would be plenty? Last question, will wiring a new fan with 2 wires mess Anything up as far as the fan running right? And will the new fan run constant when the key is on instead of being controlled by the computer like the factory? Thanks guys I need some quick answers so I can finally get this thing running!

Edit forgot one thing. How many amps does the factory fan pull I want to get one close so I don't have to run new wire or over heat one that's too small. For reference here is what I'm looking at

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/52103/10002/-1

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Can't tell you exactly which wire is which, but one is ground one is low speed and one is high speed. Could always probe it with a flux meter and determine which is what...

Curious, what radiator do you have in your car? I've been anticipating this happening to me, too. I've got a Mishimoto in my car, and a 76mm going in. I was hoping, if there is interference, that I'd just be able to notch the factory fan shroud. I've heard of people running Taurus fans or Saab fans with good luck. The Saab I know is super compact, the Taurus, I believe is like 5" deep.

94venomV8

Established Member
Yeah I have a mishimoto 3 core in mine. There is no way it's fitting man unless u can find a fan that's 1/4" thick. Ur gonna need a pusher fan on the opposite side of the rad. Or u could do a small 12" fan on the drivers side of the rad. Either way it's not a huge deal I just need to figure the wiring out and I can finish it in a couple hours

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
your fan 5000 cfm. pusher is no good. find a 05 up focus twin fan set up, it will fir but tight, just have to make mounting brackets. get one from a junk car factory ford with harness. cut the harness and the fans are set up 2 wire. ground one wire, now there is a resistor in the housing you can't miss it, run the low speed wire to it, than the other side to the fan power, now for the high speed splice it after the resistor on the high side. these fans will fit and cool your motor, I have a fluiddyne rad, a big turbo and custom made 3 1/2 inch down pipe. you will also want to run a gt lower rad hose, get a remote thermostat kit and run it in the upper rad hose (use 160 therm) and block the bypass hose. will run cool with all that heat.
th_067.jpg

th_071-1.jpg

94venomV8

Established Member
your fan 5000 cfm. pusher is no good. find a 05 up focus twin fan set up, it will fir but tight, just have to make mounting brackets. get one from a junk car factory ford with harness. cut the harness and the fans are set up 2 wire. ground one wire, now there is a resistor in the housing you can't miss it, run the low speed wire to it, than the other side to the fan power, now for the high speed splice it after the resistor on the high side. these fans will fit and cool your motor, I have a fluiddyne rad, a big turbo and custom made 3 1/2 inch down pipe. you will also want to run a gt lower rad hose, get a remote thermostat kit and run it in the upper rad hose (use 160 therm) and block the bypass hose. will run cool with all that heat.
th_067.jpg

th_071-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, however that will not work for me. My turbo is way closer to that rad then yours in. Im not joking when I say a quarter inch from the rad. Could you explain why a pucher fan wouldnt work? I really need to know, I mean I can get a big pusher that will cool it Im sure, and I am getting a small enough one where it will not block the opening from the grill into the rad to cool it when driving. also I was thinking if I get a pusher it will be pulling air through my intercooler as well which would be good for the intercooler but possibly bad for the rad pushing hot air into it. IDK what to do, all I know is that no fan will fit, there is no fan slim enough to fit 1/4" space.

94venomV8

Established Member
If you happen to learn how many amps the stock fan draws, please let me know, Jace :beer:

Im still looking, I may have to put my meter on it and amp the wiring when it turns on. But as of now the best I know is that it runs off a 50 amp fuse...which seems huge to me! When most of the big fans Im looking at only draw 10-15 amps.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
my fan sits under the turbo and under the coolant tank. it gives me the room for the turbo and pulls alot. run your cheap pusher fans, your car will over heat unless its 50deg outside. the slim fans run 10-15 amp fuses because they only move a little air, thats why the ford relay is set at 70a to handle the initial load of the fan turning on. it moves 5000cfm not 800 like the cheap ones.

94venomV8

Established Member
I don't disagree with you, I wasn't aware it moved that much air. However what's the difference between the pusher and pulled fans? I thought you were saying a pusher wouldn't work, but what if I get 2 14" pushers that are rated at 2300 cfm each. I also wasn't aware yours was under the turbo but I can def tell by the picture that your turbo sits further away then mine does. I will look into the fan and measure.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
you could get 2 14" pushers but it wont fit right, and if you have a air to air intercooler you will have no room for a good intercooler to fit right. If you have no a/c components than you'll be ok, but it sucks to have a car with no air.

94venomV8

Established Member
Ok first I have about a foot between my intercooler and rad so there is plenty of room for anything to fit in there and I measured, 2 14's will fit perfect across the entire rad were the factory one is just in the middle. I'm not looking for fitment advice being that I'm the only one here that can see and measure I'm more looking for an answer to why you said the pusher fans are no good? I don't see the difference but if you have real world experience please share before I waste money. Otherwise it looks like I'm just needing to know how to hook the wiring up to a two wire fan. Good thing is I can use the wiring and fuse from the stocker to run both fans since the fuse and wiring are good for 50 amps and the fans together only pull 15 each

Edit: btw you are correct I don't have AC in the car.

Last edited:

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I have 5 fans on my car, 1 for a trans cooler, 2 10"pushers for if it gets too hot (i use a/c), I live where it gets 120+ deg and 2 focus fans as the main cooling. here is food for thought move the rad into the core support and than you can run your stock fan, slight mod but can be done

94venomV8

Established Member
I thought about that as well and would love to do that. Guess I need to look and see what it would take. I would need to move it about 5" back to clear everything though, it maybe too much fabbing right now

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Just a suggestion, you might want to do a search in the modular section of theturboforums.com. There are many clever, cheap electric fan solutions found there.

Users who are viewing this thread