Moog front control arms too narrow

torchred2000gt

Established Member
I am finally feeling good enough after my shoulder surgery to get back to wrenching on my car again!

00f7a2d4-5d9d-4292-a0c2-e04025525956_zpsfjvmafd1.gif

I was making good progress on the passenger side front end until I went to start putting parts back in. The Moog control arms I purchased appear to be 1/4" more narrow than the factory arms. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

20170422_154730_zpsgszdlfmg.gif

20170422_154941_zpsy6ekokvf.gif

20170422_154933_zpsn3sblcvw.gif

I only had two hands so it was hard to be able to show an accurate depiction of the size difference but hopefully you get the idea. Sadly, I purchased them right before I had to have surgery for a broken clavicle so it is now about 4 months later before I find out they don't fit. I hope Rock Auto will swap them for the Motorcraft arms. 99% of the time I stick with factory parts, as I did with the lowering springs, inner/outer tie rods, intake manifold, and all the other junk I'm replacing. This time around, I figured I could save money with a company I've had good luck with in the past but was burned! :O

RoBullitt

I looked all over for answers when I went to replace mine. Best I could come up with was to restore the stock ones. It was a pita but im anal. I can tell you that you might not be in that bad of shape. The actual mounting tabs on the frame bend when you tighten the bolts. Im sure it does this on purpose to compensate for stamping tolerances in the control arm and bushing differences in the collar and sleeve. If I were you I wouldnt worry a whole bunch and just make sure to get an alignment even if you didnt touch the tie rods. Knowing how many cars are out there and how many shops have bought those and used them your probably not in too much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread