Montana people? bear hunting question

sixt5

Established Member
some buddies and i are thinking about heading up to montana for a bear hunt. any good experiences? where to go, what to see, do's and donts.

thanks!

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
I haven't shot one yet but I know tons of folks that have. They are literally all over the state. The majority are in the western part of the state(grizzly's too). I have seen some outside the Bob Marshall wilderness by Augusta MT. You better be in excellent shape and/or willing to pay an outfitter because it is some VERY rugged country. There is always stories in the paper of some poor out of stater that gets lost or hurt and needs rescued.

If you're an outdoors man than you should know the basics. These mountains get snow every month. Me and some friends got caught pretty bad last year. Left town at 9AM was 75 sunny and no clouds. 1:30 in the afternoon pretty deep into the Little Belts and a storm rolled through. Rain-sleet-snow mix, dropped temp to about 40-45. We made a fire and found some shelter for about an hour than it cleared and we headed back.

One tip that gets a lot of folks in trouble, when you wound a bear they run in a huge circle and will come up behind you when you are tracking it. Bears can cover ground like nothing else in the mountains. Seeing them in action is very cool. They run just as fast up hill as down hill and nothing slows them down.

Good luck if you are serious about it. If your gonna pay an outfitter anyway, you might want to consider getting a wolf. About as much work, more money, but WAY cooler.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
This pond is in the middle of town..

10 miles ahead in those mountains, there are ****ing bear everywhere..

DogparkHDRgreen.jpg

cityofbozeman.jpg

Last edited:

PureStang

Established Member
fantastic pictures....i love Montana and Wyoming...

as far as bear hunting...good luck...have a bunch of friend that go, but have never brought anything back.

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
I grew up in the D.C. area, so it's always funny to me when I hear about people going to go hunt bears and shit. Something about a 1 ton animal being faster than me and having the ability to take multiple gun shots doesn't entice me to go mess with it. Although, my buddy said bear meat is amazing.

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
I grew up in the D.C. area, so it's always funny to me when I hear about people going to go hunt bears and shit. Something about a 1 ton animal being faster than me and having the ability to take multiple gun shots doesn't entice me to go mess with it. Although, my buddy said bear meat is amazing.

1 ton bear lol... bear meat is ok not amazing, elk meat is amazing ;-)

Gun for stopping bear...

.375 Remington Ultra Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I wonder if bears have a website where they ask, "how do you get people to Montana so we can hunt them? Pics or your mauling is BS!"

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I went on a bear hunt the other day and came back with about 10 bears. I was playing Red Dead Redemption, but still. That's about as close to a bear as I wanna get. I even get nervous hunting them on the game, because one always sneaks up behind you and knocks you off the horse.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

Lmao.. A 1 TON BEAR?? this is montana, not Alaska.. I run into black bears all the time. They are only about 300 pounds and not aggressive.. Now the grizzlies are ****ing scary and you are a dumbass if you hike in Griz country unarmed.. There are usually 3 or 4 people eaten every year. One guy was killed last week near old faithful, hiking alone, UNARMED

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sixt5

Established Member
ya you gotta be smart around bears to say the least. we are all investing in bear spray, along with having our rifles and side arms.

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
Lmao.. A 1 TON BEAR?? this is montana, not Alaska.. I run into black bears all the time. They are only about 300 pounds and not aggressive.. Now the grizzlies are ****ing scary and you are a dumbass if you hike in Griz country unarmed.. There are usually 3 or 4 people eaten every year. One guy was killed last week near old faithful, hiking alone, UNARMED

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

you gotta understand, i've never even seen anything other than your normal woodland creatures. so yeah, don't know how much any type of bear weighs

Users who are viewing this thread