Monoblade woes

qachargh

Established Member
So I got my monoblade back from Accufab after John said he fixed the throttle blade stop screw and increased the voltage to the actuator. I put it on and made a short trip up the freeway to my parents' house

At startup the ide would fluctuate between 500-1000. After it warmed up a little it seemed to settle down. On the freeway at a steady cruise the A/F ratio was swinging around from low 13s to high 15s.

Once I got to the house I grabbed a laptop so I could drive around for a minute and do some datalogging. I was primarily watching the Desired and Actual throttle angle. At idle the graph was all over the place. The Actual and Desired angle plot lines never met except when crossing each other at perpendicular points. At a steady pedal angle the Actual throttle angle was swinging +-20 degrees. At minimum pedal angle the car started increasing the idle until I killed it at about 3500. I made it about 10 minutes before the car went into limp mode and died.

Once I got it back to the house I put the stock TB back on. This time the Actual and Desired throttle angle plots were so close they were almost impossible to differentiate.

My situation now comes down to several choices: I can jettison the monoblade and buy a twin-65 with the hope it runs fine with the current tune; use the stock TB for the life of these modifications; or-and this is what I am leaning toward-go to a Lund racing dealer around here and get them to put on a Lund tune since that seems to be what most people are having success with.

Comments, questions, concerns? I would appreciate any input from the collective.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
So I got my monoblade back from Accufab after John said he fixed the throttle blade stop screw and increased the voltage to the actuator. I put it on and made a short trip up the freeway to my parents' house

At startup the ide would fluctuate between 500-1000. After it warmed up a little it seemed to settle down. On the freeway at a steady cruise the A/F ratio was swinging around from low 13s to high 15s.

Once I got to the house I grabbed a laptop so I could drive around for a minute and do some datalogging. I was primarily watching the Desired and Actual throttle angle. At idle the graph was all over the place. The Actual and Desired angle plot lines never met except when crossing each other at perpendicular points. At a steady pedal angle the Actual throttle angle was swinging +-20 degrees. At minimum pedal angle the car started increasing the idle until I killed it at about 3500. I made it about 10 minutes before the car went into limp mode and died.

Once I got it back to the house I put the stock TB back on. This time the Actual and Desired throttle angle plots were so close they were almost impossible to differentiate.

My situation now comes down to several choices: I can jettison the monoblade and buy a twin-65 with the hope it runs fine with the current tune; use the stock TB for the life of these modifications; or-and this is what I am leaning toward-go to a Lund racing dealer around here and get them to put on a Lund tune since that seems to be what most people are having success with.

Comments, questions, concerns? I would appreciate any input from the collective.

Accufab was probably just trying to be nice.(I can almost bet the TB was fine to start with)
I know there been allot of talk about this here.
Most of the time the issue is not the TB even though the tuner is blaming it.

More times then most it is all in the tune......

Also don't fall for if the stock tb works and the mono don't its a bad mono TB

The issue comes down the the MAF curve being incorrect in the tune.(This is where the issue is 95 percent of the time)
The TB that moves more air will amplify the issue.
REMEMBER all air flow calculations start with the MAF and MAF transfer curve in the tune(airflow reading)
Why will a mono have an issue and the stock tb does not?????because it moves more air and the incorrect maf curve will be multiplied (airflow reading)worse causing an issue with the TB that flows more.

A 65 tb will see less issues because it does not move as much air as the mono does..

Best bet it is the tune.....

Last edited:

turbo

Established Member
bite your tongue! its always bad parts, ask any tuner, they will tell you! lol

nix5o

Established Member
op, I noticed you're in Houston. If I was you I'd take it to Triangle Speed shop in Orange, they'll fix your tune. Tell them Nick sent you.

humilde

Established Member

i have stock intake , 65 mm dual TB , Lund 91
It runs perfect.
the 65 mm has a small screw in the the top of the right hole of the TB , at first when i install thE TB the car was a little to high in revs when idle and when switching gear between 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm.
I just adjust the screw until i saw the Afr going from 13.9 to 14.1 in idle and the voltage gauge in 13.9V still and 800 rpm idle.
The car runs perfect almost identical to stock.
Dont know if the Monoblade works the same as the 65MM.

qachargh

Established Member
Being that I do not want to consider the monoblade's purchase price to be a sunk cost I will most likely have an e-mail tune tweaked by the remote tuning shop they have in town.

It didn't help the throttle blade stuck the 1st time the car was taken on the street off the dyno. If my tuner had actually been able to do some street datalogging this would be a different story.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
With all the apparent issues Tune related or Throttle Body related with the mono (and fingers pointing both ways), I definitely will be doing the 65 mm dual TB when the time comes ..

Crowley

KenB

Established Member
I'm Ken from Lund Racing and thought I would reply. I won't address any comments made about us because some people just don't know the facts. So I will lay those out.

1)We tune more GT500s than anyone in the country, guaranteed. And we probably tune more mono blade cars in a month than most tuners have tuned since they came out.
2)When the monoblade first came out, we didn't have anywhere near this number of issues.
3)Recently, the issues have become widespread, but the calibration hasn't changed.
4)We have been working very closely with Ford Racing and Accufab directly to find the issue.
5)We found the issue as of yesterday (not voltage, that was John at Accufab's idea) and have reported it to John. It has been verified on 3 throttle bodies.
6)John at Accufab is sending us new parts to test
7)People like to talk shit on the forum about things they know nothing about. While Lund Racing is out there setting the bar and working with companies to make their products better, others are spreading misinformation. Please lets results speak for themselves and ignore all the finger pointing.

That is where things stand as of today. If anyone has any further question, please contact us through our website.

luisferinox

Established Member
I'm Ken from Lund Racing and thought I would reply. I won't address any comments made about us because some people just don't know the facts. So I will lay those out.

1)We tune more GT500s than anyone in the country, guaranteed. And we probably tune more mono blade cars in a month than most tuners have tuned since they came out.
2)When the monoblade first came out, we didn't have anywhere near this number of issues.
3)Recently, the issues have become widespread, but the calibration hasn't changed.
4)We have been working very closely with Ford Racing and Accufab directly to find the issue.
5)We found the issue as of yesterday (not voltage, that was John at Accufab's idea) and have reported it to John. It has been verified on 3 throttle bodies.
7)People like to talk shit on the forum about things they know nothing about. While Lund Racing is out there setting the bar and working with companies to make their products better, others are spreading misinformation. Please lets results speak for themselves and ignore all the finger pointing.

That is where things stand as of today. If anyone has any further question, please contact us through our website.

thanks ken
i have 2 questions wich one do you recommend me
it is a 2013 gt 500. FR 65MM OR Mono Blade. iam going to install your 91 tune.

and the other why the increase in rpm cut with lund tunes ?
thanks and regards.

railroad

Established Member
thanks ken
i have 2 questions wich one do you recommend me
it is a 2013 gt 500. FR 65MM OR Mono Blade. iam going to install your 91 tune.

and the other why the increase in rpm cut with lund tunes ?
thanks and regards.

You might have better results following his closing statement, good luck.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I talked with John directly about this. I will be ordering a monoblade with the first round of mods soon.
I have had probably 3-4 Accufabs over the years and never an issue, I'm confident it will be worked out.
-J

qachargh

Established Member

In 2 weeks I will be having a Lund tune and remote tuning session done in town. The assertion Lund racing can get my Monoblade working properly will be tested to my satisfaction. Based on the overwhelming reports of success posted on these forums I am very hopeful. But just because I am hopeful does not mean I am ready to write a blank check and sign it "Lund Racing is the Greatest" without waiting for the results. I will see what happens and report back. If simply getting a Lund tune fixes my problems, then they can handle anything.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member

Will be interesting to hear more about #5 above .. If it is a parts problem w/ the monoblade .. sure tuning may be able to mask the problem, but wouldn't you all rather have a 100% working TB? Hopefully they post up what they have found.

Crowley

Crowley

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread