Money tree just grew. Cost of future mods????

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Well, I've just landed a new job starting at $41,000+ per year. That'll be on top of my Marine Corps "retirement" check. The Money Tree just grew like a MoFo.

I've already found an old Honda that I'm buying next month for a DD/beater. Anyway, I'll be parking the Lightning except for the weekends as she's got 120,000+ miles and could probably use a break.

The following mods are planned for the Lightning:

Built motor (work will be done by Peters Performance in Albany, GA)
Heads/Cams
Kenne Bell 2.6
Upgraded MAF??? (currently running a 90mm MAF, FRPP)
Dyno Tune (Panhandle Performance)
JLP longtube exhaust system
Precision Industries torque convertor
Carbon fiber driveshaft
Driveshaft safety loop
Detriot TruTrac

I'm not sure about suspension mods right now. The truck currently has 1.5" Hotchkis springs up front, and DJM 2" shackles in the rear. Any input from the suspension gurus would be greatly appreciated.

The tranny is stock for now except for a FTVB.

I'm planning on taking the truck to Peters Performance next summer for all of the work to be done in one swoop, if possible.

Just wanted some experienced advice on a ballpark figure of how much money this will cost me. Thanks in advance for any serious input.:beer:

Last edited:

SVT99RED

Established Member
nastynivek said:
Well, I've just landed a new job starting at $41,000+ per year. That'll be on top of my Marine Corps "retirement" check. The Money Tree just grew like a MoFo.

I've already found an old Honda that I'm buying next month for a DD/beater. Anyway, I'll be parking the Lightning except for the weekends as she's got 120,000+ miles and could probably use a break.

The following mods are planned for the Lightning:

Built motor (work will be done by Peters Performance in Albany, GA)
Heads/Cams
Kenne Bell 2.6
Upgraded MAF??? (currently running a 90mm MAF, FRPP)
Dyno Tune (Panhandle Performance)
JLP longtube exhaust system
Precision Industries torque convertor
Carbon fiber driveshaft
Driveshaft safety loop
Detriot TruTrac

I'm not sure about suspension mods right now. The truck currently has 1.5" Hotchkis springs up front, and DJM 2" shackles in the rear. Any input from the suspension gurus would be greatly appreciated.

The tranny is stock for now except for a FTVB.

I'm planning on taking the truck to Peters Performance next summer for all of the work to be done in one swoop, if possible.

Just wanted some experienced advice on a ballpark figure of how much money this will cost me. Thanks in advance for any serious input.:beer:

Nice to have a moneytree grow that much!!
1. built motor- 3500
2. heads cams- go with jj set up with the stage 4 aprox -3000 I think is the only way to go with the 2.6. or get patrot for 2000 with cams.
3. kb 2.6 3400
4. sct maf 230 or mafia 150
5. dyno tune 200-400
6. full exhaust 1999
7. PI torque converter from lfp 848
8. carbon fiber shaft are a lot of money I think I saw one for 1000
9. safty loop 80
10. TT 450

This prices are approx. and dont include labor. wow your looking at about 12-14000.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If you're having someone do all the work you should figure AT LEAST 15k. Going all out there's no way to go cheap or quick and it costs a lot with our trucks.

I'd get them to give you a quote for the entire job before laying down any $$$. Congrats on the job and future mods!!

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Good deal man. I am currently trying to find a new job as well. Got an interview with a life insurance firm on Wednesday..

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
If you're having someone do all the work you should figure AT LEAST 15k. Going all out there's no way to go cheap or quick and it costs a lot with our trucks.

I'd get them to give you a quote for the entire job before laying down any $$$. Congrats on the job and future mods!!

Thanks Fade.

I'm definitely going to do a full consult with my builder/mechanic prior to dropping any cash. He and I have already discussed my plans somewhat. I've explained to him that I want the truck done front to back, with time not being an issue. The good thing is, my mechanic is also a retired Marine who's a perfectionist about his work, owns the shop, and lives two houses away from me. So, if any problems arise or anything comes up, I can just walk over to his house. LOL.

He's wanting to do a stroker set-up on the motor when he does the build. I need to research the stroker issue a little more, as I'd still like to be able to drive the truck on the street on the weekends without dealing with any reliability issues. Any input on stroker motors would be greatly appreciated.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Congrats on the new job Kevin. When you decided to step up you went big time. Looks like you did some research and I like the idea of going local for your build, so you can keep and eye on things. Here's hoping you get where you wanna be. :beer:

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
^^^ Thanks Ned.

This truck has been my DD for the last 5 yrs.:rockon: Trust me, I've enjoyed every mile that I've put on her. I just mainly want the truck to be streetable, reliable and a hell raiser at the local track, which is only about a mile and a half from my house. I just figure there's no need to start racing the truck without it being properly built and set-up first. I've read too many horror stories here of grenaded blocks.

With my current budget, I should easily have 15 grand saved up by next summer. The truck is paid for, I'm buying the "beater" Honda for $500.00, and my "retirement" check covers my mortgage and its related neccesities.

BTW, as far as suspension....Are any of you guys running a four-link set-up in the rear of your trucks?

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
hey nasty....you need a son, I am open to the whole adoption thing....LOL

Congrats on the new job, just got myself a new job about 3 months ago. Nice increase in pay but using that increase to pull myself completely out of debt. You better keep us informed step by step with everything including pictures of the process.

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
^^^ No thanks, don't need anymore sons, LOL. My youngest one will be out of the house next summer.

I'll definitely inform you guys when the project starts next summer. I'm just in the preliminary planning stages right now.

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
nastynivek said:
^^^ No thanks, don't need anymore sons, LOL. My youngest one will be out of the house next summer.

I'll definitely inform you guys when the project starts next summer. I'm just in the preliminary planning stages right now.

"But I wipe my own ass!"

Users who are viewing this thread