money stolen from my house, what can i do

tombo9876

Established Member
So, last week a technician from a satellite company came to work on my apartment's satellite. My landlord was with him on Monday the entire time he was there. However he also came back Tuesday to finish up some work. He was there at 8am when I left for work, and I spoke with him shortly, and nothing seemed off. My apartment was unlocked both days.

The week before this (so two weeks ago) on Tuesday I had place two $100 bills right beside my TV in a bowl. They were not hidden, and easily seen if standing near the TV. I placed them there because I owed my father $200 bucks, and I just put them there for the time being. I kind of forgot about the money until the following Tuesday after I got off work. (This is the same Tuesday that the tech was working on the satellite) I just had a feeling that I should check if the money was still there. It was missing. I looked through my entire apartment in case I moved it without remembering, and it's nowhere to be found. The only explanation I have is that the tech either took it Monday, without my landlord seeing, or Tuesday, going into the house on his own, when he was working on the satellite. I did not check for the money until it was already missing, so I cannot say for sure that it was there before the tech arrived, but that means someone else came into my house and stole it (not likely since I was home all weekend)

I called the company who the tech works for, and they said they are investigating, but I was wondering if there are any other avenues I can pursue to try to get my money back? I know it's kind of a weird situation since I didn't actually see the money get taken, but it is gone now, no longer in my house, and the only person to come in was my landlord and the tech. I know my landlord personally, as they are not just a landlord but a good friend, so I have no doubts there. She has spare keys to my apartment and everything, so yea, I'm not questioning the landlord. So I have to assume it was the technician. Anything I can do?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
File a police report; the technician won't technically be considered a suspect, as no one actually saw him take they money, but he can be looked into. It's going to be your word against his, though, and I doubt anything will come of it. Can't hurt to try, though. I was going to say cancel the satellite service, but reading again it sounds like it's through your landlord. In any case, good luck...

mustanginky

Established Member
wow man, next time make sure to safely hide any cash laying around your house. even if no one is expected, why risk losing it to a break in?

you can file a police report, and they'll likely talk to him. hell he may have a guilty conscience or have a record of doing things like this. perhaps he's done it before and it's been reported to the company. maybe he's a dumbass and he'll confess. who knows.

tombo9876

Established Member
Yeah I figured as much. I'll give it a shot. Didn't know if it was even worth calling the police but I'll go ahead and do it. Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't have left the money out in the open if I had remembered it. I didn't even know the tech was coming until Monday after I was already at work.

ModularFan

Established Member
OP, let it be a lessoned learned if anything, the police aren't gonna look too much into 200 dollars, just not gonna happen. If it were something around 1000 or more etc, then yea, you'd probably have a case etc. But like I said the police aren't gonna hiccup at 200 bucks. cut your loses and move on.

You can try small claims court but even then its a marginal chance.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
without proof you are outta luck, plain and simple
/thread.

With that said, at least notify his employeers. Nothing will come of it more than a brief talk at best, but it will at least make him think twice before having another stolen money/property complaint made about him.

tombo9876

Established Member
Thanks to those who provided helpful / meaningful responses. I did let the employer know, and I don't think anything will come of it, but just wanted some other opinions. Certainly I will not be letting anyone into my house without myself being there from now on.

JJackson

Established Member
So, last week a technician from a satellite company came to work on my apartment's satellite. My landlord was with him on Monday the entire time he was there. However he also came back Tuesday to finish up some work. He was there at 8am when I left for work, and I spoke with him shortly, and nothing seemed off. My apartment was unlocked both days.The week before this (so two weeks ago) on Tuesday I had place two $100 bills right beside my TV in a bowl. They were not hidden, and easily seen if standing near the TV. I placed them there because I owed my father $200 bucks, and I just put them there for the time being. I kind of forgot about the money until the following Tuesday after I got off work. (This is the same Tuesday that the tech was working on the satellite) I just had a feeling that I should check if the money was still there. It was missing. I looked through my entire apartment in case I moved it without remembering, and it's nowhere to be found. The only explanation I have is that the tech either took it Monday, without my landlord seeing, or Tuesday, going into the house on his own, when he was working on the satellite. I did not check for the money until it was already missing, so I cannot say for sure that it was there before the tech arrived, but that means someone else came into my house and stole it (not likely since I was home all weekend)

I called the company who the tech works for, and they said they are investigating, but I was wondering if there are any other avenues I can pursue to try to get my money back? I know it's kind of a weird situation since I didn't actually see the money get taken, but it is gone now, no longer in my house, and the only person to come in was my landlord and the tech. I know my landlord personally, as they are not just a landlord but a good friend, so I have no doubts there. She has spare keys to my apartment and everything, so yea, I'm not questioning the landlord. So I have to assume it was the technician. Anything I can do?

i think i found your problem. let the lesson be learned to lock your doors next time, no matter how safe you feel.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
It could have been your landlord!? Or anyone else for that matter. If it wasnt the tech, then it sucks you made him look bad to his employer.

Cash goes missing from time to time at the pizzeria. Was it employee theft, wrong change given, customer money not taken, etc. I never accuse or blame without concrete evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread