Moisture in catch cans running E85

Jrock909

Established Member
So it's perfectly normal to get quite a bit of moisture in my catch cans during the winter months if the pcv system isn't hooked up...?

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
You do realize that e85 when it has access to the atmosphere turns into water, even better is when E85 Fumes come into contact with non-viton rubbers it makes the rubber expand creating more atmosphere exposure.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Yup, I get a bunch. Fills up the catch can in a couple months driving it once a week if I don't empty it.

IMG00278-20110417-1711.jpg

@carrew - it turns to water? I don't think thats what occurs, absorbs from the air yes, explain how a alcohol turns to water

Last edited:

BruceH

Established Member
Yup, I get a bunch. Fills up the catch can in a couple months driving it once a week if I don't empty it.

IMG00278-20110417-1711.jpg

@carrew - it turns to water? I don't think thats what occurs, absorbs from the air yes, explain how a alcohol turns to water

Wow Dave. I drive mine at least 500 miles a month most months and only see a little milky oil in the catch can at worst.

You are running over twice the boost I am too, I suppose that has something to do with it.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Well that was an unusually long time when that was emptied. It was like 5-6 months. I was no aware I needed to empty it as often as I should. The can was literally overflowing and spitting water out of the breather.

Side note - that is Ron's hand holding the vase

Users who are viewing this thread