Modifying the trailer to accomodate the Cobra

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
I used to not be able open the door to get in/out and now i can open it up for a medium sized guy/gal to get out! my only block is the tire of the trailer!
Little bit of backyard hooligan runs in my blood :)

Last edited:

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
1508041_10152350798460751_5520143428324115437_n.jpg

here it is on the trailer

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
here is a secret so the damn thing does rattle and be noisy down the highway. Watch the video and u will see when i lift it up and let it sit open 3 tabs, These tabs are welded onto the fender and spaced properly to pull the fender back in and sit against the frame of the trailer

oldmodman

Established Member
That is such a useful mod I wonder why the trailer manufacturers don't offer it as an extra cost option.

I was talking to a guy in the Home depot parking lot about his trailer. He had a big Wells Cargo box auto hauler and he had ordered it with a huge, long custom door on the drivers side front so he could open it and step right out of his car with the car door wide open. Only cost an extra $300.00 and was worth every penny too.
He had even ordered it with triple axles and all axle electric brakes. It was a real beauty.

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
That is such a useful mod I wonder why the trailer manufacturers don't offer it as an extra cost option.

I was talking to a guy in the Home depot parking lot about his trailer. He had a big Wells Cargo box auto hauler and he had ordered it with a huge, long custom door on the drivers side front so he could open it and step right out of his car with the car door wide open. Only cost an extra $300.00 and was worth every penny too.
He had even ordered it with triple axles and all axle electric brakes. It was a real beauty.

Some manufactures do offer it as an option, but it is your higher end trailers that usually have them.

smitty2919

Established Member
I made mine removable as well. Welded some 2x2 angle iron on the fender and frame and used 4 bolts with nuts welded to the underside. I take mine completely off though. Just as sturdy as it was when it was stich welded to the frame, no vibration at all. Added some metal handles to the top and VOILA.

I did it similar to this:
10.jpg

F04.jpg

Not a fan of the "swinging up" aspect of it in case you have a feature of the car that overhangs the fender. It will hit and not able to swing it fully open.

But it's always nice to do something very functional. Gets the job done.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 3,384
Last edited:

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
I do like that, and woulve like to use that idea! But this was stuck in my mind and made for less welding

But anyway put the car on the trailer today to check clearances and go racing for the first time this year and it turns out on my drag setup, i can open the door COMPLETELY! yay lol
(Drag setup = 28x10.5 out back and 185/55/17 on race stars up front.)

Users who are viewing this thread