Modified New Edge GT Tune Help?

steezy2110

So in June of this year I bought a heavily modified 2002 GT, complete with a full exhaust, bolt ons, cams, valve springs, roller rockers, and (obviously) a 93 octane tune. There may be other unknown mods, the last owner told me what he knew, but the guy before him did everything, so I’m not 100% sure. The last owner didn’t know what company the tune was or had the tuning device.

The car was running just fine for a while but lately it’s been having some issues, really bogging down, bouncing idle, and codes for the upstream oxygen sensors. I replaced one sensor when it’s code came up, engine light went away, and came back. My mechanic Cleaned out the throttle body and cleared the code, and everything seemed okay. Then the engine light came on again, for the other front oxygen sensor, replaced it, then the light went away again. No problems since except for a light bounce in the idle, not sure if that’s normal or not.

My knowledge on cars is more than the average commuter, but of course I’m no expert, so I’m aware some stuff I’ll say may sound stupid. But I’m learning as I go. The previous owner bought it from another guy who did all the mods, the guy before me did nothing. He said he had no problems and he had the car for over a year.

So. Could the tune be doing this? If not, I still want to get a revision on my tune but I don’t have a device for the car and $400 is a little steep for a broke college student like me, and like I said, I’m not sure what company did the tune on this car, and I have no device that has the stock tune to flash on the car. I read that buying a new device in my situation could just cause problems since my current tune is aftermarket and unknown. Not sure what to do. Should I buy a tuning device? Or go to a local dyne tuning shop?

Any feedback is appreciated, I’ll answer any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
If you are too rich/too lean (I can't remember which one) that will cause your o2s to foul out quicker and affect the idle as well. Did you change elevations since you got the car? cause that could change the a/f ratios quite a bit and affect the performance of the car. I would recommend getting a tune by a dyno shop instead of a bama tune, solely just from some reviews I heard from people saying that it blew up their motor, and one person said their bama tune made their 3v start knocking at idle for some reason. I never had a problem with my past pama tune but nothing major was done to the car so I never really got to test their tuning abilities out. Just be safe and get a dyno tune imo.

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
If you are too rich/too lean (I can't remember which one) that will cause your o2s to foul out quicker and affect the idle as well. Did you change elevations since you got the car? cause that could change the a/f ratios quite a bit and affect the performance of the car. I would recommend getting a tune by a dyno shop instead of a bama tune, solely just from some reviews I heard from people saying that it blew up their motor, and one person said their bama tune made their 3v start knocking at idle for some reason. I never had a problem with my past pama tune but nothing major was done to the car so I never really got to test their tuning abilities out. Just be safe and get a dyno tune imo.
A dyno tune can also tell your computer to ignore the o2 sensors so there will be no more check engine light if it goes out

Users who are viewing this thread