Modified Hood Mod and Cold Air Mod

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Guys,

Going to be down in Fl in a week, and going to see my borther, who is a Mustang nut. (No offense intended, I guess I am one now too, just an uneducated one :) ). I was thinking of having him give me a hand in doing the hood and Cold Air (tubing through fender) freebie mods, but I had some questions:

1. I was thinking of just removing the stinking hood cover entirely, but I am worried about the heat harming the hood. I know Haveight said in another post somewhere that that's what he did, I was wondering if anyone has seen any issues with this? It's probably too early to tell if it fades the paint, but has anyone noticed the hood heating up or anything?
2. Does the cold air mod actually work? Does it help at all? Will it be affected by rain or fog?

Thanks guys, as much as I hate to admit it, I am begining to become a Mustang guy :dw:. Reading MM&FF and all. It's kind of sad, really, but DAMN this car hauls! :p

Last edited:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
have you even removed your air silencer yet??!!! at least do that and get a K&N! The hood mod will help release hot air from under the hood, but dont expect to feel any real power increase.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
have you even removed your air silencer yet??!!! at least do that and get a K&N! The hood mod will help release hot air from under the hood, but dont expect to feel any real power increase.

Bryan,

I was going to do that as well, but I am very interested in doing the hood mod, seeing how it rains all the time where I am (either Fl or NC), and I have a Black car, so I wash A LOT. Everyone keeps saying water screws up the liner, so I figured I'd just pull mine off :shrug:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Hey Net... I just posted a thread a few days ago on what the implications would be of removing the blanket altogether. You can see it here...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18778

In summary, most people agreed that it would simply be a fact that you would get a lot of interference on AM radio, but that it would not be damaging to the hood itself.

Hope that helps!

-Dennis

P.S. - "NetworkingGuru", huh? Does that mean you are in the IT industry? I am too actually... :thumbsup:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by dmreitz
Hey Net... I just posted a thread a few days ago on what the implications would be of removing the blanket altogether. You can see it here...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18778

In summary, most people agreed that it would simply be a fact that you would get a lot of interference on AM radio, but that it would not be damaging to the hood itself.

Hope that helps!

-Dennis

P.S. - "NetworkingGuru", huh? Does that mean you are in the IT industry? I am too actually... :thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis,

As for your question, yes, I am in the IT industry. Check my website out :)

BTW, does anyone know how to get the stupid clips off?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
OK, got the Hood mod done. Removed the blanket. Just ran it a couple of miles...HARD...and boy, is that a sweet mod :) The blower is loud as &#^% and the car never even got to the mid-point on the temp guage (like it does any good to watch that thing anyhow, ya know, numbers on guages is an interesting concept...Ford should look into that...)

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Ford did have "N-O-R-M-A-L" on the temp gauge for a while...I think they did away with it in '99. We figured out that between "R" and "M" was 197 degrees or so. Now we just guess. :bored:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Ford did have "N-O-R-M-A-L" on the temp gauge for a while...I think they did away with it in '99. We figured out that between "R" and "M" was 197 degrees or so. Now we just guess. :bored:
:lol:
LMAO, that is too funnny. One of the first things I'm gonna do is to install a BUNCH of guages (Like 8)....I miss all of the readings I could get on the vette :( Now I just got to decide....Do I do that BEFORE or AFTER the exhaust, pully, intake, and chip :rollseyes

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
I pulled and stored my blanket, the clips
just pull out with needle nose pliers. I
have no AM radio problems at all. Like others
I seem to be running a small but indeterminate
amount cooler as well.

"numbers?.. we don't need no stinkin numbers!"

03 - Satin Silver
4.10s
Blanket Bye Byed
Boost mod

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by imswheel
I pulled and stored my blanket, the clips
just pull out with needle nose pliers. I
have no AM radio problems at all. Like others
I seem to be running a small but indeterminate
amount cooler as well.

"numbers?.. we don't need no stinkin numbers!"

03 - Satin Silver
4.10s
Blanket Bye Byed
Boost mod

I just ripped the clips out with my hands. My toolkit is the "Caveman special", consists of rocks and a few twigs:uh oh: JK, I did pull the clips out by hand, I finally decided "screw it" and did it, even though I was worried at first about breaking them. Now I am looking to either do the silencer delete mod and buy a K&N filter, or just ordering the FIPK.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
After you guys ripped the blanket out did you notice a huge difference in engine noise?

Sound, yes, Noise, No ;-) Seriously, the engine sounds pretty normal at normal throttle, but when you punch it, you can hear the blower MUCH better :) Give it a try, the thing is really easy to remove and reapply :)

Users who are viewing this thread