Modified FPDM and BAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuerza

Established Member
Is it necessary have your FPDM modified by Zone 5 in order to run a BAP?

I ask because I read this from the Zone 5 website.
If you are running a pair of big returnless fuel pumps (i.e. Lincoln Aviator, Ford Focus, or Ford GT) and/or running '03/'04 SVT Cobra dual pumps with a pump voltage booster in your high-horsepower Mustang you NEED to have your FPDM modified. This modification allows the Ford Mustang driver (99-04) to sink substantially more current (up to 25Amps) without overheating.....

I keep searching to see what others are doing but I'm not finding the right answers. So is it necessary to run a modified FPDM with a BAP??

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
AdrianG said:
Is it necessary have your FPDM modified by Zone 5 in order to run a BAP?

I ask because I read this from the Zone 5 website.

I keep searching to see what others are doing but I'm not finding the right answers. So is it necessary to run a modified FPDM with a BAP??

I do not run a modded FPDM with my BAP and I don't personally know any one that does. It is probably a good idea but not required.
I've had mine for several years with no problems.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'm in the same boat. Although I bought twin gt pumps. It seems most people have modified fpdm's but no one has actually tested to see if you have to have them! Maybe someone will chime in on this. I know I've seen a few 600rwhp cars with twin gt pumps or bap's without modified fpdm's on them and I don't want to spend the money if I don't need it!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Although Zone 5 recommends FPDM upgrade with a BAP install, like Senkac said, nobody that I know of is doing this and I haven't heard of any instances of the dreaded thermal shutdown that is rumored to occur.

Fuerza

Established Member
I contacted Zone 5 on this subject. His comments
If you use a BAP at max voltage boost, the input current to the BAP is increased by 50%. If you are running the BAP after the FPDM, this current passes through the FPDM so you should use a modified one to reduce thermal losses in the FPDM and prevent thermal shutdown. If you are using the BAP before the FPDM, you don't absolutely need a modified FPDM.

MJ
Almost everyone now wires their BAP before the FPDM so the modified FPDM would not be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread