Modified Exhaust In Cali.

TT SaLeEn

Established Member
Don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, so I apologize in advance if its not.

Just received a fix-it ticket for modified exhaust. The Question I have is what is the highest dBs the car can have to be legal?
And one last question, if i have the stock h-pipe with borla stingers will it pass the inspection or wouil it still be too loud?

Last edited:

ponyboyx04

Established Member
Don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, so I apologize in advance if its not.

Just received a fix-it ticket for modified exhaust. The Question I have is what is the highest dBs the car can have to be legal?
And one last question, if i have the stock h-pipe with borla stingers will it pass the inspection or wouil it still be too loud?

anything other than stock is illegal

Klay

Established Member
Both of you are incorrect about anything other than stock being illegal. California uses C.A.R.B. (california air and resource board) to decide whether or not an aftermarket part is legal or illegal for street use. I know because I had a legal aftermarket cat-back exhaust on my old car. It was C.A.R.B. exempt and had a number to go along with it.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member

Your stock h-pipe is fine and a catback system is legal as long as it does not exceed 95 dbA

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 27150-27159

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=30582527655+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Last edited:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to
Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the
testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates
of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation
for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.
(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system
shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies
with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle
weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150
and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance
with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.
(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to
subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make,
model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the
vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system
installed on the vehicle.
(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system
certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The
fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the
Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees
charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection
and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety
Code.
(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of
Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the
regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable
hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with
respect to noise level control.

xhailofgunfirex

Established Member
My friend got pulled over about 3weeks ago in his STI and got a fix it ticket for his exhaust, he borrowed a dB meter and everything from work and was ready to get his "fix it ticket" fixed. Welp no go, from what he was told any exhaust ticket in california it doesnt matter you are paying the $162 dollars since it is uncorrectable fix it ticket, the citatoin he recieved in the mail had no option to pay the usual 10 dollars and get it signed off, only option was to pay the $162. I do believe some law was passed stating within the last couple of years that exhaust tickets are uncorrectable.

So what it will come down to is if the officer marked "correctable" on your citation or not.

If uncorrectable you just pony up the $162 and go on your way..and you get a point on your license. If you get pulled over
again for the same thing your fine will increase also though.

If correctable you can go to a smog refree and get it signed off, but they make you do a smog test also..so be careful
with what you do. CHP even tried to give me a another ticket for tint when I went to get my front plate signed off.

Last edited:

bullitt890

Established Member

what exhaust were you running when you got stopped? the only headers other than stock that are legal are the jba's. the factory midpipe is the only legal one. and borla stingers are most likely going to fail. i failed with just an slp catback. i think i was 104 dB.

TT SaLeEn

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. The ticket I received did say correctable. So if I do put my stock mid pipe back on, It might not pass because of the stinger mufflers thats going to suck.. Were can I buy a dbA meter at?

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Texas plates FTW, **** the CA cops... I just go by em, they look at me, and I smile, limo tint, no cats and DR looking slicks...:lol1:

TT SaLeEn

Established Member
Texas plates FTW, **** the CA cops... I just go by em, they look at me, and I smile, limo tint, no cats and DR looking slicks...:lol1:

Yeah I wish I can get Texas plates then I wouldn't have to worry about crap. I just hope it passes with the stock mid-pipe with the stingers.

Last edited:

TT SaLeEn

Established Member
what exhaust were you running when you got stopped? the only headers other than stock that are legal are the jba's. the factory midpipe is the only legal one. and borla stingers are most likely going to fail. i failed with just an slp catback. i think i was 104 dB.

Didnt see that you asked for the exhaust set up. The set-up is Fordracing shorty headers, Bassani X-pipe( no cats) and the Borla stingers. Like I said before I just hope it passes with stock mid pipe :shrug:.

bullitt890

Established Member
TT SaLeEn, good luck. smog ref made me take off my frpp shorties. even though it passed the sniffer, and that was with a catted slp x. :bash:

99 GT

Established Member
I need to smog my car in the next couple weeks...Ive been running a Magnaflow Off Road X pipe ans Magnaflow Magnapacks...Since i got them installed a year ago, ive had that Check Engine Light. My question is if i put the stock H on w/ the magnapacks will my car pass and will the light still be on?

thanks

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
I need to smog my car in the next couple weeks...Ive been running a Magnaflow Off Road X pipe ans Magnaflow Magnapacks...Since i got them installed a year ago, ive had that Check Engine Light. My question is if i put the stock H on w/ the magnapacks will my car pass and will the light still be on?

thanks

If you put the stock h-pipe back on with all 4 working oxygen sensors the cat-back will not have any affect on the smog test. The station is not testing for sound levels.

Before doing the exchange you will need to disconnect the battery and in doing so will clear any code on the computer.

It is very important that you drive your car for a few days before taking to smog. City/freeway driving etc.

1. To make sure you your engine light doesn’t come on!

2. Most important; The computer map (The OBDII Drive Cycle) has to have a drive history. If you were to take it in right after the exchange the computer will not have the proper drive cycles and you will fail that test!

Whenever you reboot the computer the drive cycles are wiped clean.

mustangkid05

Established Member
damn sucks to live in cali if you are a car guy ahaha, im in philly with o/r h,limo tint, and slicks when its out haha

Users who are viewing this thread