Modifications and Gas mileage

Elliotness

Established Member
Just curious.

I have been driving my car for about two weeks now and have noticed that as I drive it the mileage has improved. For those of you that have modified your cars with KN filters and exhuast, have you noticed an appreciable difference in gas mileage? I would think that mileage would get better:shrug: ???

03DOHC

Established Member
I have been getting worse mileage as of late. Been running her through the gears more.:) K&N and exhaust. When I'm in commute mode I've been getting a consistent 19mpg. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Not bad. I got 12 mpg on the first tank. I tried to heat cycle the car on the first two tanks. On the third tank I drove the car as I would normally and got 17. Just filled up for the 4th time and ..... TBD.

Fred Brown

Established Member
just completed 5700 miles on trip out west mostly interstates lowest 21.7 best but close consistant 24.85.

Fred Brown

Established Member
in reguard to the previous my machine is all stock. speed was generally about 70-75 best mi;leage was 85-90 mph

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
When I added a chip and pully to my Lightning my gas milage dropped off a cliff. I was getting around 12mpg on average, after mods it went to an all time best of 7.034mpg and a worst of 5.309mpg. The first tank with my Cobra was a much better 13.5mpg.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I average 14.8 city driving, and just got 19.6 mostly highway driving with this last tank on a completely stock setup. I will do intake and exhaust work and compare.

coleman

Established Member
i've been calculating mine recently.
with 2.80, chip, CAI, and stock exhaust...
i got 14.2, then 13.5, then 14.25, and today (nearly all highway) 20.25...

f4sfed

Established Member
With the 2.93 pulley and air filter, my mileage average is up almost 2 mpg. I'm getting about 16 mpg with a half hour highway drive to work, and a hour drive home [they call this rush hour?] in the evening. If I could keep my foot out of it, I'm SURE I could get 18 mpg...but that's not what I bought this car for. :->

mineral03

Established Member
Drove down to southern california yesterday, put about 400 more miles on my car. When i was just cruisin, about 80 mph, without beatin on it, i got an amzing( for me!) 23.6mpg!!! on the next tank, i ended up racin this guy in a volkwagon corrado like 6 times "( sometimes to 140+ mph!), so i only averaged like 20.1... i did get almost 270 miles to the tank though. the only mods i have are the headers and exhaust, and a cold air and filter. Usually, when putting around town, i only get like 15, cause im constantly beatin on it

Elliotness

Established Member
It is very difficult to keep this car out of boost. Very easy to get the car into the power band and suck up fuel. I would be very satisfied with about 20 mpg on the road. I think I'll probably get that after the exhaust and KN. What do you guys think???

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
f4sfed, No chip with your 293?

Not yet. It [the chip] should be here today or tomorrow. I had it [the car] dyno'd with the pulley and air filter. The fuel curve came right in line.....kind of makes me think that SVT EXPECTS us to make these changes. I posted my dyno in a thread. Do a search for my name, it's in there.

Fred Brown

Established Member
Mac o3 Cobra in reading my letter, and that of Mineral O3 who also was right up there, 23+ this obviously is not incredible I'm 70 years young and dont beat on the car but i love it for what it is

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Fred Brown, :beer:

If you can get that kind of mileage, you must be doing something right. The best I have been able to get has been 19, and that was cruisin in 6th for most of the time.

f4sfed, Thanks for the feedback...

Users who are viewing this thread