Modding up my Dmax

Jack Burton

Established Member
Well, I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with the 6.6 Duramax and Allison transmission. Truck already had a 6" lift, Gibson turbo-back exhaust, AFE stage 1 intake, and 18" chrome rims. On Sunday I added the AFE BladeRunner turbo mouthpiece (the LLY Duramax stock mouthpiece is known to be a major restriction) and on Monday my Edge Evolution CS Race tuner arrived, so I installed that on Monday night.

With the exhaust and intake, I thought the truck went along fairly decent. I mean, decent for a heavy lifted truck on 33's with the aerodynamics of a cinderblock.:lol1: Then I added the mouthpiece, which I could feel a tiny difference with, but most of the difference I could notice was that the turbo spooled up faster.

Now, I've installed the Edge tuner. I'm only running it on level 2, they say level 3 is the max you can run on the stock tranny but it may be pushing it. Well, even on level 2 it feels like a completely different truck. I was pleasantly surprised by how hard it pulls now. I'm also liking the fact that I can change the color screen dispay to show different gauges. I'm about to order the pyrometer for it so I can measure my EGT's.

I haven't had a chance to bring it up to a dyno yet to get the hp/tq measured, but hopefully in the next month or two.

Anybody else running the Duramax?

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
Anybody else running the Duramax?

No but I had an '06 I wish I hadn't sold. Mine had exhaust, CAI and trans work. I got EFILive and the McRat race tune with it.

With the exact setup I had, McRat's truck ran in the low 13s/high 12s. I never raced mine but it was a goddamn monster that'd spin the tires from anything up to 20 mph. Mind-blowing from 60 until I'd back out due to fear of whatever the top-end of that thing might've been. I think they get something like 500 hp/1100 tq from that tune.

Sold the truck but still have the EFILive tuner and the McRat tune because I know I'll get another someday.

Enjoy your truck! :beer:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Almsot ALL of the diesel trucks are a BUILT TRANS away from being monsters. I have a Cummins and a bunch of guys are running 12s with a built trans, exhaust, intake and tuner. Now this built trans is $4k minimum.

Dmaxs are good but the allison sucks...as well as the IFS. But i do miss my 3/4 Silverado.

BAD351W

Established Member
Almsot ALL of the diesel trucks are a BUILT TRANS away from being monsters. I have a Cummins and a bunch of guys are running 12s with a built trans, exhaust, intake and tuner. Now this built trans is $4k minimum.

Dmaxs are good but the allison sucks...as well as the IFS. But i do miss my 3/4 Silverado.

Allison is the best tranny to have if you are keeping the truck stock. It was not engineered to be run in a truck with a hot tune.

Jack Burton

Established Member
No but I had an '06 I wish I hadn't sold. Mine had exhaust, CAI and trans work. I got EFILive and the McRat race tune with it.

With the exact setup I had, McRat's truck ran in the low 13s/high 12s. I never raced mine but it was a goddamn monster that'd spin the tires from anything up to 20 mph. Mind-blowing from 60 until I'd back out due to fear of whatever the top-end of that thing might've been. I think they get something like 500 hp/1100 tq from that tune.

Sold the truck but still have the EFILive tuner and the McRat tune because I know I'll get another someday.

Enjoy your truck! :beer:

Orginally wanted the EFI Live since it has so much room to expand with, but the mods I have currently are pretty much as far as I'm going with it (except I need to do an EGR delete). I can def tell that the tranny is what's holding it back. If I had a built tranny I'd def be putting more power to it. I still can't get over how much just running level 2 woke it up. Man, a 500hp/1000tq diesel would be a monster to drive.

This is my first diesel, and so far I'm loving it. I don't know if I could go back to a gas powered truck after having a diesel.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Allison is the best tranny to have if you are keeping the truck stock. It was not engineered to be run in a truck with a hot tune.

I agree. So far I love the Allison transmission. My boss has a Dodge with the Cummins...blew the tranny at 60k miles. Then again, Dodge auto transmissions are known to be crappy.

As far as the IFS, I actually like it. Then again, my truck is a daily driver and the heaviest thing I tow with it is a 18ft bass boat which might weigh 2,300lbs max.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Any pics of your truck?

Duramax3.jpg

Duramax2.jpg

Duramax1.jpg

Duramax6.jpg

Duramax4.jpg

wjk

Established Member
My brother has an 04 LBZ with a stage 4 trans, and a PPE tuner. He has a couple other minor mods and its pretty f***ing fast! I've never raced him in my Cobra, though it would probably be pretty close. I did a roll with him in my stock 05 GT from about 35mph-80mph and he pulled away easily.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Man, I wish this thing had a built transmission in it. Mine is an 05 LLY. Hell, the Edge Race that I have has 7 power levels...and I'm only running on level 2. I still can't believe how easy it is to wake up these diesels.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member

You might want to have a look at the McRat Racing site before you keep with that assumption.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You might want to have a look at the McRat Racing site before you keep with that assumption.

Which part of his assumption is wrong? Its been proven over and over that a stock allison wont last long at high hp levels.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
modded with IFS = snapzilla

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TXG7vVJ5c"]YouTube - Duramax breaks halfshaft[/nomedia]

below, wheels bending in and breaking.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6Lqj-_eSo&feature=related"]YouTube - Why not to buy a Duramax[/nomedia]

Jack Burton

Established Member
modded with IFS = snapzilla

YouTube - Duramax breaks halfshaft

below, wheels bending in and breaking.

YouTube - Why not to buy a Duramax

I guess lucky for me I don't plan on doing any 4wd launches on pavement or doing any tractor pulls :lol1:

For what I use the truck for (daily driver and light towing) the IFS works fine for me.

I'm actually not a chevy guy, I'm a ford guy. I wanted a super duty, but the price range I was looking at was mostly made up of the 6.0 engines, and I didn't feel like taking the risk of the well known blown head gasket problem.

I'll probably end up picking up some tie rod sleeves down the road just to beef up the front end a little bit.

MGC

Established Member
Nice truck.

I have an 06 LBZ, things a monster. Look into a trans go jr. for your allison, cheap alternative to a built trans that will give you some room to work with.

IFS as said above is known to break on spooled 4wd launches, but it rides great and if you are thnking about launching it in 4wd just get some tie-rod sleeves and you'll be good to go. These are great trucks, take care of them and they will take care of you. Be sure to do the EGR delete as you said, doesn't do anything performance wise but it keeps the soot from going back into your engine, also be sure to change your fuel filter and allison spin-on when you do oil changes. :beer:

Jack Burton

Established Member
Nice truck.

I have an 06 LBZ, things a monster. Look into a trans go jr. for your allison, cheap alternative to a built trans that will give you some room to work with.

IFS as said above is known to break on spooled 4wd launches, but it rides great and if you are thnking about launching it in 4wd just get some tie-rod sleeves and you'll be good to go. These are great trucks, take care of them and they will take care of you. Be sure to do the EGR delete as you said, doesn't do anything performance wise but it keeps the soot from going back into your engine, also be sure to change your fuel filter and allison spin-on when you do oil changes. :beer:

I've heard a little bit on that trans go jr, I'll have to check it out further. Def planning on the EGR delete (part of the reason why I got the Edge Race version is it has the feature to prevent the codes from being thrown when deleting the EGR). Probably do a PCV reroute while messing around too. I installed the fuel door in my fender well for easy fuel filter changes (I was planning on changing it ever 10k miles). I'll prob be scheduling an appointment at the Allison dealer so I can have them drop the pan and change the internal tranny filter and pick up some extra spin-ons while I'm there.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Shoulda got the 6 leaker

here's my 05 Duty (AFE intake,Turbo back duals, Innovative tuned) mopping up a 08 Chinamax (DPF delete, inatake, Edge tuned setting 6) he needed an alignment after the race as you can see him fight the wheel

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1M2VgZOtq4"]YouTube - VID 00054[/nomedia]

a nice rip with the 6.0h
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_TSDPOMrY0"]YouTube - Stroker Ace[/nomedia]

No need for tie rod ends when you have a real truck
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5jD433Vszc"]YouTube - Stroker Ace vs Slummins[/nomedia]

that's a Slummins getting towed back to the dealer

Got a 6.4 Stroker now that makes my 6.0 look slow , 12.6 fuel only stock tranny

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Shoulda got the 6 leaker

here's my 05 Duty (AFE intake,Turbo back duals, Innovative tuned) mopping up a 08 Chinamax (DPF delete, inatake, Edge tuned setting 6) he needed an alignment after the race as you can see him fight the wheel

YouTube - VID 00054

a nice rip with the 6.0h
YouTube - Stroker Ace

No need for tie rod ends when you have a real truck
YouTube - Stroker Ace vs Slummins

that's a Slummins getting towed back to the dealer

Got a 6.4 Stroker now that makes my 6.0 look slow , 12.6 fuel only stock tranny

Dont turn this into some BS brand argument. The duramax's are faster with just tunes. Any truck can be as fast as you want it with enough money.

Users who are viewing this thread