Modding a 2011 GT500

Synister500

I'm with stupid
Established Member
Just as the title says I'm about to start modding my 2011 GT500. I purchased the car used with 8800 miles on it. It is bone stock with the exception of Magnaflow catback exhaust installed by the previous owner. I have had the car about 6 weeks now and it is an absolute blast to drive. But, I live in the heart of corvette country (the dang things are made right here) and stock just won't cut it. So before I even drove to TX to get the car I placed an order for some goodies to wake the new girl up. Everything is now here and I picked it all up from the local shop on Thursday of last week. I figured a few mild bolt ons would be a good starting point.

Truck loaded up:

945c4129.jpg

Everything unloaded:

b527e871.jpg

The list:

1. JLT 127mm Carbon Fiber intake
2. Kooks 1 7/8" into 3" LTH with O/R X pipe
3. Borla catback exhaust (Stingers)
4. Metco 2.6 pulley
5. Metco HD idler pulley
6. Afco 10" dual fan HE
7. Colder range plugs
8. SCT tuner with Bob Kurgan start up tune
9. Bob Kurgan dyno tune
10. SOS triple gauge pillar pod
11. Autometer wideband, fuel pressure, and oil pressure gauges

Here is the car stock with the Magnaflows sitting in my garage:

‪2011 GT500 Exhaust‬‏ - YouTube

I waited till this Tuesday before she went up on jack stands to run at the track for some before and after results (as long as the weather would cooperate). I hope to have everything installed in a week or so (doing a couple hours in the evenings); then down to GA to see Bob and back here by NMCA Aug. 4th. If not then hopefully by Summernites cruise Aug 28th. Hope to update with progress and pictures regularly.

Well I'm not exactly happy but it is what it is and the numbers don't lie. Test and tune night so everything and its brother was out running, including motorcycles. Track conditions were terrible, weather was just a mile north of hell; 96* air temp and 98% humidity (I can only imagine how hot the track surface was). I figure that this is probably worse case conditions I'll run this car in so I guess its not going to get any slower. The car is a bone stock 2011 GT500 with SVTPP (includes 3.73 gears, 20" wheels, 285/35 street tires (stock rubber). She weighed in at 2260 lbs. on the front axles with a total weight of 4000 lbs with me (240 lbs) and a full tank of gas. As I said above I have mods waiting to be installed and wanted some track #'s to compare stock vs basic GT500 mods. Car was driven to the track given a 30 min cool down then ran and hot lapped. Made a total of 6 passes with this routine. 30-45 min cool down followed by a run and then a hot lap. Average times were between 12.9 and 13.1; 60' were averaging 2.0-2.1. My best 60' was a 1.93 (my last pass and the coolest temp all night) and my best 1/4 mile was 12.7 @ 112 mph. I don't know why but you really couldn't floor it WOT till just before the 1/8th mile marker. I really don't know what to expect with the above mentioned mods but I'm definitely ready to start working on it.

Well as they say prove it or GTFO so here you go:

1c1f1b9d.jpg

Video of the 12.7 pass:

‪Stock GT500 1st day at the track‬‏ - YouTube

jerod

Established Member
Just need to get used to the car is my guess, there is still room for improvement on shifting and taking off from what I can see. All in all good though.

ad445

Racing Is In My Blood
Established Member
These mods gonna wake up the beast...
At first when i bought mine i felt its slow but when i added pulley/tune i felt
Big difference... Enjoy it in good health.

Synister500

I'm with stupid
Established Member
You need some sticky tires.....maybe MT 28x10.5x15 slicks. Then, you'll be happy with your time slips.

It's gonna be mostly a street car but since we have a local track, that is the plan. I'm liking the black Weld racing wheels from JPC. I'm also considering larger rotors in the rear and if I do I'll have have to have a 17" wheel in the rear then a 275 tire.

Synister500

I'm with stupid
Established Member
Well I was able to get started today. It is going to take about a week to get everything done since I only have a few hours in the evenings to work. I am doing all of the install on my own, on my back, in my garage, with the car up on jack stands. Is it ideal,no. Is it worth it, yes, because I love doing it and I get the satisfaction of knowing I did it. Not to mention the piece of mind knowing there were no cutting corners. I decided to start off with the Heat exchanger.

First and foremost the battery is disconnected and for this round of mods it is removed along with the battery tray. This allows for easier access to the header bolts and EGR valve where it connects to the passenger side header (for the header install to come):

th_9c228cba.jpg

For access to the HE the front bumper cover has to be removed. All under carriage splash guards have to be removed:

th_82a8b602.jpg

The front wheels are removed. There are 2 bolts and 1 screw on each side of the bumper in the fender well that have to be taken out along with 4-5 of Ford's favorite plastic push plugs in order to remove the wheel well splash guards.

th_d3c26fcd.jpg

There are no bolts at the top of the fender where the bumper cover meets the front fender (like on the 05-09 cars). Pulling with steady pressure straight back (do not jerk), you will find that there are 3 clips that will pop loose. Next remove the radiator cover and the last remaining bolts securing the bumper cover across the top. Be sure to unplug all marker lights, fog lights, horn, and outside air temp sensor. The Afco instructions have you remove the front splitter; this is not necessary.

th_b3f9427a.jpg

Following the removal of the front bumper the Afco instructions are very detailed and self explanatory. I will say I do not know how they get some of their hose clamps (squeeze style) on at the factory but they sure put then in a position where squeezing them is an extreme pain in the ass.

th_41bab935.jpg

Size difference in the Afco unit and the stock HE. This should help a lot.

th_1a07f92d.jpg

th_7d56d201.jpg

And finally installed. This took about 3 hours (bumper has not been reinstalled yet) as it was extremely hot outside and I am very meticulous. Only basic hand tools are required.

th_4cf1ae17.jpg

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Great thread, I'll be following it. I'm surprised at the difference in heat exchanger size- especially since the 2011+ is touted as having a 40% larger intercooler than 2010!

I can't fathom doing long tube headers ever again after the nightmares I've had on previous cars getting them to fit. I heard the stockers are good for 700+ hp.

Have you thought about a TVS blower upgrade? When I'm ready for more power, that's what I'll probably do- and leave the rest alone.

Users who are viewing this thread