Modded 96 Cobra vs Evo

Seth

Established Member
I was cruising on the interstate one evening headed home when I saw a Mitsubishi Lancer ahead of me. As I started to get closer I noticed that it was an Evo.Newer model. 9th or 10th gen. I think 10th. As I got closer I could hear his aftermarket exhaust. I was going to pull up beside him but there was other people in the other lane, so I stayed behind him. We started to go around a loop when he gunned it (me still following him), so I down shifted to third and gunned it as well, riding right on his butt. I started to walk up on him a little and then I had to break for traffic. Well he took the next exit.. But instead of actually exitting he went straight on the exit lane as if he was going to go around the next loop. Instead of looping he floored it and went straight back onto the interstate. So I down shifted again to third gear and began to follow him. Keep in mind that he floored it while still being ahead of me. He didn't let me get up next to him for a race. Anyway.. I down shifted to third and gunned it. After a few seconds I just walked up next to him and kept on going. A win indeed. Even without the being lined up next to him.
Cobra - 1
Evo - 0

Mods:
Evo - Unknown besides exhaust
Cobra - JLT CAI, LT headers, O/R x-pipe, Tune, 3.73 gears

EB85

Established Member
If it looked like this, it was an X. From what I remember reading, the hardcore Evo guys don't like them as much as a starting point because they dropped the 4G63 and they gained some weight. I, personally, like the X because it looks more grown up and I bet they're a blast to drive through the twisties with the dual clutch.

Edit: good kill. You should be able to take him from a roll, too, if you can hook.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Seth

Established Member
Yeah, it must have been a 10 then. It looked clean but pretty much stock, other than the exhaust. With some new tires and a good launch I think it would be an interesting race. Not many people do dog races around here. Most everyone is pretty much just about roll racing.

Hybbs

Established Member
I had a 98 Cobra with a few bolt ons and a tune. Loved that car. It made just under 300 rwhp. A blast to drive. And I embarrassed a few imports. How much HP at the RW are you making?

Speedboosted

Established Member
Could it have been a Ralliart? They look pretty similar, and have a turbo, but aren't as fast. For some reason I feel like you shouldn't be walking past him that hard, maybe I'm wrong though lol. Regardless, good kill!

Wildman113

Established Member
Could it have been a Ralliart? They look pretty similar, and have a turbo, but aren't as fast. For some reason I feel like you shouldn't be walking past him that hard, maybe I'm wrong though lol. Regardless, good kill!

A 4.6 4V with those mods should walk past any stock Evo from a roll like its going backward. Stock Evo 10's only put down 215-230WHP, and they weight about the same an an SN95. Evos are highly overrated, they are not fast cars without significant mods and tuning.

4a7191a

Established Member
Think a 13.0 isn't out of the question for a stock evo.X.
In stock form they are not roll cars, when built they become them as GTRs are.
Bolt on for bolt on they can be very fast for cheap til the motor gets around 500tq. Then it gets expensive. Building stuff for more cost alot.

Speedboosted

Established Member
A 4.6 4V with those mods should walk past any stock Evo from a roll like its going backward. Stock Evo 10's only put down 215-230WHP, and they weight about the same an an SN95. Evos are highly overrated, they are not fast cars without significant mods and tuning.

Lol ok...what's that cobra trap, 105? "Evo's are highly overrated" is funny, you must get your ass pulled daily by them

Wildman113

Established Member
Lol ok...what's that cobra trap, 105? "Evo's are highly overrated" is funny, you must get your ass pulled daily by them

Looks like someone is butthurt.

Even at 105MPH, thats 7MPH faster than a stock Evo X. "LOL, ok?"

Let me guess, you drive an Evo?? :kaboom:

Yes, a $40,000 car that makes 215WHP and breaks down a lot is overrated. Get over it.

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
Car and driver got a 13.4@104 out of an evo X.
Still the cars are not made for quarter mile runs. They're made for road race and rally . just a tune nets them over 40whp. Cars were held back for rally class's that only allow a certain amount of HP.

They're actually quite reliable. Mines only had a CV boot break on the drivers side and I think something might have hit it to cause the tear. Its a 2011 model. I'm not sure where you get your info from but to each their own I guess.

My evos been making over 500 on pump for quite some time now. Not bad for a 2.2 bore motor and 27.1mpgs on the freeway. :)
Its forsale too. Lol Shelby fever has set in :(

Wildman113

Established Member
Car and driver got a 13.4@104 out of an evo X.
Still the cars are not made for quarter mile runs. They're made for road race and rally . just a tune nets them over 40whp. Cars were held back for rally class's that only allow a certain amount of HP.

They're actually quite reliable. Mines only had a CV boot break on the drivers side and I think something might have hit it to cause the tear. Its a 2011 model. I'm not sure where you get your info from but to each their own I guess.

My evos been making over 500 on pump for quite some time now. Not bad for a 2.2 bore motor and 27.1mpgs on the freeway. :)
Its forsale too. Lol Shelby fever has set in :(

Interesting.

Here is the article I was remembering:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rx_sti_vs_mitsubishi_evolution_x/viewall.html

I'm not sure I'd call any Mitsubishi "reliable" though, there is more than one reason they are going out of business. Sounds more like you're just been lucky lol ;-)

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
Mitsubishi won't go put of business. They're changing they're imaging again and they make a lot of industry equipment .
That was a good article though.
The sti's are nice though I'd cringe if i had to work on one.
The evos are simple to work on and with to make power. The older evo's are a dream to work on..... :)

HandBanana

Established Member

No, just so much NO with this post. Evo Xs are dogs compared to their predecessors yes, but with an exhaust and a tune, they won't have a problem with a Cobra like the OPs. From a dig, it would be brutal. It sounds like this was a stupid kid with a X with a catback and nothing else. People have no idea that with these cars, unless you tune it after doing an exhaust, you're actually hindering the car rather than helping it.

Evo VIIIs and IXs are incredible cars, a track-prepped IX is still the best handling car I've ever driven and that includes a wide range of sports cars and even exotics. Bolt-ons and a tune netting you up to 350whp and high 11's while still getting high 20s mpg on the highway, amazing handling, great brakes and year-round driving capability? Yeah, so overrated bro. :rollseyes

Speedboosted

Established Member

No I don't drive an Evo (see sig pic), and I don't think I've ever seen a stock X go that slow, and I live in the Northwest where I see them all the time. My friend went 103 all stock...same car that now does 175 in the standing half.

Last edited:

spilly

Established Member
Used to drive a Suby WRX stage 2 and was my dailly (100mi) commuter. 100k miles without an issue and fun to drive in wet or dry but yes a pain in the ass to work on due to the flat 4 and all the exhaust piping. Recently purchased a modded '96 Cobra and grinning everytime I get in it but don't think I'll feel the same if I get caught in the rain or any snow but I do have an FJ Cruiser for that. ;-)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Looks like someone is butthurt.

Yes, a $40,000 car that makes 215WHP and breaks down a lot is overrated. Get over it.

Interesting.

Here is the article I was remembering:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rx_sti_vs_mitsubishi_evolution_x/viewall.html

I'm not sure I'd call any Mitsubishi "reliable" though, there is more than one reason they are going out of business. Sounds more like you're just been lucky lol ;-)

More anti-Evo diarrhea of the mouth spewed by Wildman.

Makes me wonder if this guy bought some Pos salvage title riced out Evo and was disappointed by it because it was a POS not due to the car but due to the owners.

Ive only seen this much hatred by the most avid of DSMers who were let down by their own shortcomings and blamed it on the make not the modder.

Wildman113

Established Member
More anti-Evo diarrhea of the mouth spewed by Wildman.

Makes me wonder if this guy bought some Pos salvage title riced out Evo and was disappointed by it because it was a POS not due to the car but due to the owners.

Ive only seen this much hatred by the most avid of DSMers who were let down by their own shortcomings and blamed it on the make not the modder.

You bought a Hyundai Genesis. That speaks volumes about your choices in vehicles and your (lack of) knowledge of anything automotive. Enough said, you need to find a better hobby than following people around on a forum.

Users who are viewing this thread