Mod suggestions?

Big A

Established Member
Ok guys,

I come here from the sportbike scene so I'm well versed in spending tons of money on vehicles out of impulse. Only problem is, this will be my first Mustang (actually first american car, no hating) and I've been on the fence on what to buy for it. I've been looking to start with a C&L intake and Magnaflow Competition axle back for the time being.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Ok guys,

I come here from the sportbike scene so I'm well versed in spending tons of money on vehicles out of impulse. Only problem is, this will be my first Mustang (actually first american car, no hating) and I've been on the fence on what to buy for it. I've been looking to start with a C&L intake and Magnaflow Competition axle back for the time being.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

how about you start with a driver mod.... so many people try to compensate power for driving

DIB5.0

Established Member
I would get the JLT or Airaid as they are making the most hp/tq with a good tune. Tune and CAI should give you 25rwhp going from 93 to 93. I think the Roush axleback sounds way better than the Mag. but thats preference.

Big A

Established Member
how about you start with a driver mod.... so many people try to compensate power for driving

I'm not gonna be taking this thing to the track a lot like others on here I just like tinkering with things so I'm not too worried about being the fastest out there. I drive just fine for what I'll be doing with the car, I'm not a track junkie.

Big A

Established Member
:lol:

Mods should be purchased with a goal in mind. If you have no power, track, sound, general performance goal in mind. Do not buy mods.

I do have goals in mind of how I want it to look and sound but a driver mod would only adhere to people who want to get low track times...I'm just looking to have a fun car to whip around some back roads and daily drive with a track day or two.

I always love how people on forums think they need to impart their infinite wisdom when they have a completely different mindset.

I'm looking for ideas here for what sounds, looks, and feels good in the car from people who have done mods to it. I enjoy working on cars/bikes so thats part of why I'm doin it. You don't always have to mod to make things faster, sometimes its just about making your car feel more like your own creation.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I do have goals in mind of how I want it to look and sound but a driver mod would only adhere to people who want to get low track times...I'm just looking to have a fun car to whip around some back roads and daily drive with a track day or two.

I always love how people on forums think they need to impart their infinite wisdom when they have a completely different mindset.

I'm looking for ideas here for what sounds, looks, and feels good in the car from people who have done mods to it. I enjoy working on cars/bikes so thats part of why I'm doin it. You don't always have to mod to make things faster, sometimes its just about making your car feel more like your own creation.

i wasnt trying to be a dick but most people cant drive... i was just saying learnt eh car first, max it out then mod... if its a weekend warrior, throw an axle back on, and leave it be. The intakes on the '11 are good up to about 600HP and flow quite well

Big A

Established Member
i wasnt trying to be a dick but most people cant drive... i was just saying learnt eh car first, max it out then mod... if its a weekend warrior, throw an axle back on, and leave it be. The intakes on the '11 are good up to about 600HP and flow quite well

:thumbsup:

Word...no harm no foul. I think I'll probably end up doin the basics like an axleback, intake, steeda shifter once I get used to the car. I just know if its anything like what happened with the bike, I said I'd never take it to the track. A year later I bought full leathers and hit up Summit Point on an CCS practice weekend. (not drag bike, AMA style track)

But you're absolutely right on getting used to this bad boy before I start going nuts. I just know there are always little basic mods for everything and was looking for some input.

DIB5.0

Established Member
If you do not want a tune get the Airaid intake. It has an insert so later down the road if you want a tune you just remove the insert. Says to produce 11 rwhp with no tune and is a quality unit. Any axle back you like would work but a tune is worth every penny if you decide to go with one. Better throttle response and adds about 10-20 rwhp without intake and tune/CAI 25-30 rwhp.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
Start with a nice axle-back and a tune. You get sound, better gas mileage, and some quality HP.

I'm still not sold on an intake yet. Even though the box looks clunky, the position of the ducting is in a favorable place(if you get a grille, if not, it's right behind the fog light :shrug:). A lot of tuners/intake packages are claiming 25-28WHP with the graphs to prove it. However, the intake will probably be one of my last mods.

I don't understand why they are labeled as "Cold Air" anyway. By removing the stock airbox, you shorten the length of distance between the ducting and the engine. You may be pulling in more air with an aftermarket intake, but it will not be any cooler if not hotter. I'm still waiting to see a good quality intake which is fully insulated from the engine other than a little heat shield.

After your tune, the best bang for your buck in regards to HP(w/o FI) would be some LT headers and a catless x-pipe.

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Start with an Intake/Tune combo package... I use the JLT intake and coudlnt be happier

[youtube_browser]-FwYCngQwYM[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

YELL03

Established Member
Start with a nice axle-back and a tune. You get sound, better gas mileage, and some quality HP.

I'm still not sold on an intake yet. Even though the box looks clunky, the position of the ducting is in a favorable place(if you get a grille, if not, it's right behind the fog light :shrug:). A lot of tuners/intake packages are claiming 25-28WHP with the graphs to prove it. However, the intake will probably be one of my last mods.

I don't understand why they are labeled as "Cold Air" anyway. By removing the stock airbox, you shorten the length of distance between the ducting and the engine. You may be pulling in more air with an aftermarket intake, but it will not be any cooler if not hotter. I'm still waiting to see a good quality intake which is fully insulated from the engine other than a little heat shield.

After your tune, the best bang for your buck in regards to HP(w/o FI) would be some LT headers and a catless x-pipe.

I have said the same thing.
Why don't they shield the larger filter better, completely boxed where it is protected from underhood air and rain.
The best aftermarket set-ups I have seen are Airaid & Steeda, their intake tube passes through the heat shield and is protected better from hot underhood air, most of the others are not completely shielded from the hot engine air.

Airaid is actually able to be used with the stock tune or you can remove an insert and use it with a tune.
I spoke to a guy at Airaid, he actually said not to remove the insert unless doing MAJOR mods like cams.
He said with the insert in, it will make as much power as any of the others.

tune,intake and a cat back

Good advice, I went with an axle-back over a cat-back, most people are saying that there is not much power to be found except for the midpipe and headers.
I am sure if doing a mid-pipe and headers, a cat-back might show more power over the axle-back, IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread