MOD / Pulley advice

Prodigy603

Established Member
Ok, so I see a lot of numbers flying around, but for someone new to the GT500 is a pulley a good mod to start with?

What kind of HP gains should I expect and for how much?

Will his affect the fuel economy?

What size pulley?

Will this void the warranty?

How difficult is the install?

Who is best to buy from?

Ultimately, this is not a track car for me. I will use it as a DD in the warmer months. This is a Fun car for me that I plan on enjoying as often as possible, and generally feel the more HP the better, without putting gas mileage in the toilet (more han it already is) or giving me so much HP that I can't get it off the line with stock tires. Flame on if my priorities are out of whack.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Better to search various vendors on here

Pulley/CAI/Tune is 1 of the first mods folks do

Find a mod friendly dealer to avoid any migraines....

Alloy Snake

Established Member
I wouldnt think fuel mileage would change more than 10% with your basic pulley/tune/intake combo-At least mine didnt.However when I went to 20psi and bigger injectors it changed dramatically.Now I get 5-6 mpg in average driving.

Black.Snake

Established Member
Ok, so I see a lot of numbers flying around, but for someone new to the GT500 is a pulley a good mod to start with?

What kind of HP gains should I expect and for how much?

Will his affect the fuel economy?

What size pulley?

Will this void the warranty?

How difficult is the install?

Who is best to buy from?

Ultimately, this is not a track car for me. I will use it as a DD in the warmer months. This is a Fun car for me that I plan on enjoying as often as possible, and generally feel the more HP the better, without putting gas mileage in the toilet (more han it already is) or giving me so much HP that I can't get it off the line with stock tires. Flame on if my priorities are out of whack.

I would suggest talking a look at VMP. The website will answer some of your questions and Justin is very forthcoming with info as well. I just purchased from him and supposed to have my car's pulley changed and tune uploaded this weekend.

Prodigy603

Established Member
I would suggest talking a look at VMP. The website will answer some of your questions and Justin is very forthcoming with info as well. I just purchased from him and supposed to have my car's pulley changed and tune uploaded this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

While I don't want to be in the 5mpg range, I guess I am most curious about how the tires will hold on withe the pulley and tune?

I ve only had one day into the sixties where I really noticed the tires get stickier, but others in the 50's and 40's these tires could not hold on at half throttle.

For 60-80hp gains for $700, seems like a deal. Coming from the Corvette side, guys were spending that much for 10-20hp gains that were not consistently producing any results on the dyno. The stock LS3 was tuned to the max from the factory thus there was little to be done Without tearing in and bolting on.

Black.Snake

Established Member
Do you have the older f1 supercars or the new version that comes with the SVT package? It will be harder to hook up with more power so if you plan to visit the drag strips a lot you may want to look into drag radials.

Decreased traction with summer tires in colder temps is typical due to the tread compound becoming less pliable.

Prodigy603

Established Member
Do you have the older f1 supercars or the new version that comes with the SVT package? It will be harder to hook up with more power so if you plan to visit the drag strips a lot you may want to look into drag radials.

Decreased traction with summer tires in colder temps is typical due to the tread compound becoming less pliable.

I have the 2011 SVt handling package...makes sense, but plans to visit the drag strip. Not my bag.

Black.Snake

Established Member
The tires you have are very sticky once they get up to temp so do the mods and don't look back! There isn't much better you can do short of changing to a wider wheel and tire setup.

bpmurr

Established Member
If I were you I'd go with the stock look setup from VMP just to make it less difficult if you need to have any warranty work done.

Users who are viewing this thread