Mod and boredom

debit_free_2010

Established Member
The tracks can require whatever safety gear they want aside from the NHRA/IHRA rules.

The IHRA sanctioned tracks around me started cracking down on cars not running roll bars 3-4 years ago, they went to requiring cars quicker than 7 seconds on the 1/8th need a bar, Also need a fire jacket and gloves with nitrous.

I was told the IHRA track insurance company is the one that started forcing them to enforce the rule.

Riptide

Established Member
It doesn't make a lot of sense that a stock GT500 can run a low 10 without a cage but a boosted GT can't. The former isn't really any safer of a car than the latter.

Not to mention how fast motorcycles can run vs. cars and the operator has so much less protection.

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
I ran 10s at 130 on nitrous and never heard a word.

My solution for you is, keep making it faster. Stage, then pre-launch you can roll up far enough to trip the start beam. Stop, then launch. You can always just check your trap that way while never going faster than 11.5

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

noldevin

Established Member
I ran 10s at 130 on nitrous and never heard a word.

My solution for you is, keep making it faster. Stage, then pre-launch you can roll up far enough to trip the start beam. Stop, then launch. You can always just check your trap that way while never going faster than 11.5

They'll catch on to this real quick lol

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
It's not a means to race all night, sure. It's a good way to mod, go back and get a new trap though, screws your ET but you can get an idea of where you'd be otherwise

Holovacko

Established Member
The NHRA rule is, Roll Bar for under 11.50. They amended the rules for Stock Vehicles (ZO6 etc..) but even minor mods, disqualify you. Yes it's stupid. You can do a 6pt roll bar, with swing outs/removable door bars. Most tracks don't enforce until you hit 10's. To avoid, you'll see guys running No Time. (N/T) and just run test and tune etc... This is why street racing will never move completely to the track. Nobody is putting a Cage in their daily driver. Apparently the NHRA thinks they know more about safety than car manufacturers.

5lho

Established Member
The red-light idea may be a good one for that one-shot with 150 I might plan on running. I did run the 150 tune I have once but, I don't think it was happy with the gas around here as, it only clipped about a tenth off my 11.48 best but added no mph so, back to 100 jetting, which doesn't seem to mind my usual witch's brew of 91 + Lucas.

I just don't want to cut up the interior for a cage. You still need to do that with even the best bolt in stuff.

Riptide

Established Member
Hopefully they will change the rule some day and allow 10.00 or slower without a six point.

Users who are viewing this thread