Mobile Homes

djsKS93

meh.
Established Member
Looking into a mobile home for college next year. Seems to make the most sense financially because it can be sold when I no longer need it, unlike an apartment. What are some things to look for when maintenance wise that are specific to mobile homes? Any common trouble spots?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
It seems like you'd probably lose money trying to sell a trailer in this housing market.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
It's definitely the cheapest route, but then you have to tell people you live in a trailer...

I chose apartments.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Yeah definitely apartment over a trailer. You may own a trailer but you still have to pay lot rent. And trailer parks don't exactly have the greatest residents, and no garage for the car. IMO I wouldn't live in one, terrible decision.

-Eric

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Watch out for the meth lab next to you when you purchase....along with people burning the covering off copper wire.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
depending on the college you'll either scare trim off or pull it like a madman cuz you have your own place.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
How long have you lived in Kansas?
Having a trailer is flirting with death, especially when the winds go over 75mph.
Just one example, The last tornado that hit Wichita was an F4 in '99. Before it disapated it hit a trailer park and picked up dozens of mobile homes and threw several of them into a sandpit that was 500-1000yds away. All 8 people that died from the storm were killed by drowning.
And just a strong straitline wind, microburst, or rearfland dowwndraft can send that trailer rolling, it does not have to be a tornado.
As the others have said get an apartment or rent a duplex with some friends. It will not only be nicer and much cheaper but you will be 10x safer and you stuff won't be spread across town if a storm hits.

djsKS93

meh.
Established Member
I have lived in Kansas my entire life, I am well aware of the storm risks. The trailer we are looking at is in one of the nicer parks, and in close proximity to two storm shelters. It's also only 2 miles from campus(K-State). I'll have a friend living with me so so his rent will cover the lot rent. There are some great deals on trailers around here. I don't expect to make all my back money selling it, but who knows what the market will be like in 4-6 years. I'm pretty set on a trailer, just wondering if anyone has had any experience living in one.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
You will have to rotate the tires on the roof every few years

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Friend of mine lived in a double wide during school, it was a nice place once you got in the door. Sorry I don't have anything else to add, I don't recall him having any issues :shrug:

txyaloo

Established Member
I have lived in Kansas my entire life, I am well aware of the storm risks. The trailer we are looking at is in one of the nicer parks, and in close proximity to two storm shelters. It's also only 2 miles from campus(K-State). I'll have a friend living with me so so his rent will cover the lot rent. There are some great deals on trailers around here. I don't expect to make all my back money selling it, but who knows what the market will be like in 4-6 years. I'm pretty set on a trailer, just wondering if anyone has had any experience living in one.

It really depends on the age and how well maintained it is. If it's an older single wide, you have to worry about leaky roofs and spongy floors. They also have little to no insulation which means your utility bills will be high.

The newer double wides aren't that bad, but you will take a huge depreciation hit buying one. It may be a different market in a rural college town. If you're planning on buying, I would look elsewhere. They are not a good "investment". You will be lucky to get back what you paid after living there 4-6 years. They will not appreciate like a house. In addition, you'll have to pay personal property tax yearly on the trailer. This digs into the bottom line even more.

If you're looking to live inexpensively, find a cheap duplex to buy in a crappy part of town. If you have a roommate, and have the other side leased, you should be able to live for almost free. You'll have to pay property tax, but the duplex will likely appreciate while you live there versus depreciate like the trailer.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Get it on a foundation because they LOSE VALUE WORSE than a car UNLESS you put it on a foundation plus you only have to pay rent to the land owner unless you by the land; plus you can build a garage for a couple of grand yes I KNOW it's $$$$$$$ but it's money WELL SPENT!!!!!!

SpectorV

Established Member
I would just rent as the depreciation vs rent its probably all gonna even out. If you have a loan for the trailer the money you lose in interest is also something to think about vs rent. The trailer will also be all on you to maintain vs an apt wont be.

Users who are viewing this thread