Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w30 First Impressions

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I just put in Mobile 1 5w30, putting in the 6 quarts initially as many of you have said. I used the Motorcraft FL820s filter as Walmart didn't carry anything other than Frame. I have 5725 Miles on the car and was running my second change of Motorcraft 5w20 up until now.

I have been hearing a metal sounding head tick on the drivers side that first appearer at about 1500 miles. My build date on the car is April 03 which isn't suppose to have the head tick, but something was making noise.

Anyway, I switched to Mobile 1 5w30 today and started it up, guess what, no tick! The valvetrain is much quieter and the only noise I hear from the engine now is injector click as expected!

Any of you guys who have a minor tick in the engine after the TSB date that I understand is December of '02 back, this may just fix your problem.

so my first impression is :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SouthTXSnake

Established Member
That is good news!! I just changed mine last week, and was so close to going with the Mobil 5w30. I went ahead and put the Motorcraft for now. I too have been hearing the same sound, but really cant tell if its the tick. Keep us updated and let us know if it comes back.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya at $5 a quart I dunno if it is worth it to me. I prefer the $10 oil change myself with all motorcraft products. And I have never heard a tick or metal sound with that oil. Plus I can rest assured that it is the lubricant that Ford approves of should I ever need a major warranty claim on my engine.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I asked my dealer, and they said it was fine. They even said I could bring the oil in and they would change it. I doubt very seriously if any dealership would try to void warranty because you used Moble 1. After changing I feel like my engine will last much longer than if I had stayed with 5w20 just based on the noise the engine was making.

Matt M PA

Established Member
I too plan on changing to the Mobil 1 5-30 when mine hits the 5000 or 6000 mile mark.

Every dealer and service station I have ever known, gets their oil shipped in bulk and placed in a big container that they pull from. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the oil most dealers put in any car they service is dino 5-30.

MP3_Stang

LabVIEW Guru
Established Member
I to am switching to Mobil 1 5-30 Syn next weekend when I do the catback. Sam's Club has the Mobil 1 5-30 Syn for about $25 for 6 quarts.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt M, PA
I too plan on changing to the Mobil 1 5-30 when mine hits the 5000 or 6000 mile mark.

Every dealer and service station I have ever known, gets their oil shipped in bulk and placed in a big container that they pull from. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the oil most dealers put in any car they service is dino 5-30.

I do my own oil change but my local SVT dealer uses Cam2 5W-20 oil on all 2001 and later Ford vehicles.

BigDaddy

Established Member
Johnsonl,

I hope your Tick never returns....but.....I changed my oil 100 miles after hearing the tick for the first time. The tick went away for 400 miles then returned. Many people have said that the tick went away with an oil change, only to return later.--But I don't know what oil they were running.
--So keep us informed. It is possible that you've found something that works. I do appreciate you posting your results.--thanks, Dan

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Originally posted by BigDaddy
Johnsonl,

I hope your Tick never returns....but.....I changed my oil 100 miles after hearing the tick for the first time. The tick went away for 400 miles then returned. Many people have said that the tick went away with an oil change, only to return later.--But I don't know what oil they were running.
--So keep us informed. It is possible that you've found something that works. I do appreciate you posting your results.--thanks, Dan

Guess I spoke too soon, TICK IS BACK! :nonono:

BigDaddy

Established Member
Johnsonl,

We should research this together, ie--keep eachother informed. I too have a last run 03 cobra, built in May of 2003.
One inportant observation I've made is that several people from this site have reported NO TICK after an oil change for a few hundred miles. --This should/may be helpful in finding the true tick problem.
How many miles did your tick hide from you behind the fresh oil? I will be changing my oil again Wednesday and will record how long it takes this time before it comes back.

I am waiting to find out the TRUE casue of the tick before taking it in to the dealer to get it fixed. Of course this means no major mods* until this issue is resolved for good.

* anything other than exhaust and CAI

magnum4000

Established Member
I've been using mobile 1 for years now ('99 GT, '01 GT, '03 Cobra) - any dealer worth a crap will allow you to bring in your own own (mobile 1) and knock a few dollars off the oil change charge. No, it won't be a warranty issue because it's ASE certified. There are way too many benifits to outway the drawbacks (only drawback to synthetic that I know of is that it may leak in older engines due to smaller molecules). Good Luck!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well, I probably won't do any mods other than a CAI and Cat-Back anyway and have the 75k warranty so I will just wait and see if it gets worst. If it does I'll get it replaced then.

I wonder if the New GT will have the tick? Seriously!:shrug:

Ford should not produce engines that have these problems. It would all show up in testing before the product is delivered if they engineered and tested the engine properly. I really don't get it! i mean what did they do test one engine and say (Read in a goofy voice), "OK looks good to me Hu Hu!" :kaboom:

I really hate to rag on the car I own, but I still have this anoying little tick, just annoying at this point and an annoying tink in the rear when I start out, or sometimes it's up front and the pop in the rear occasionally, and the normal clunk which I'm used to now.

But don't get me wrong, the car runs like a demon and I love to drive it! :thumbsup:

If The CEO of Ford read this forum, he would probably be ragging out several high level managers about now. If they wan't to go bankrupt then producing cars that people bitch about all the time is a good way to start.

Is there any Ford employee here that can send Mr Ford, whoever it is at this point an email with this forum listed? I know your too scared to do it, so send me the email address and I will do it? I'm very sure his address is listed in the company email directory just like the address of my companies CEO is listed.

I mean get your shit together!

Ok through for the night!:fm:

Last edited:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Guys, sometimes the tick is only the cam caps needing retorqing. I would suspect that ESPECIALLY if oil stopped it for a bit. It was also a TSB originally. Maybe bring it in and let them try it. Cant lose for trying at least...

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Ok, I have several days on the oil change now and the ticking is not as loud as it used to be, if it's ticking at all.

BigDaddy

Established Member
Just changed my oil and filter Tuesday. This time the tick was back in minutes.
I think it is strange that there are more than one fix for what seems to be the same sound.

Users who are viewing this thread