Mobil 1 0W-30 Racing Oil OK for Street Use?

Cosmicdrifter

Established Member
When you read the descriptions of Mobil 1 OW-30 oil it sounds great. Increased levels of wear and diminished drag - higher horsepower - all seems great. Then it says not recommended for street use because of effect on catalytic converters.

I'm wondering if it would not work as well as Royal Purple Racing - which I've used on the street and their technical guys recommend it for the street.

Does the Mobil 1 Racing Oil not have enough additives to run 3000 miles in between changes? Is anyone on the forum using this oil or know the real deal?

And before you say anything about the price, I don't care. I have $40,000 invested in this car and it has 3,000 miles on it. I drive it a couple of times a week for not over 20 miles.

So what are your thoughts?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i personall run 5w-30 mobile one full syn.

i royal purple also but id run mobile one for the $$ and then get a good filter like a motorcraft or a mobile one filter, k&n, or other high quality filter

Tractionless1

Established Member
i personall run 5w-30 mobile one full syn.

It's not full synthetic as Mobil sued to get their non-synthetic base stocks approved as full synthetic by definition. You're simply paying a full synthetic price for a truely semi-synthetic oil. Very few true synthetic's left on the market, ie all synthetic base stocks. I choose Amsoil.

SVTDice

Established Member
+1 On Amsoil. It is a Excellent oil for street use. I'd suggest you looking into 10w30 Amsoil Signature Series.

moot09

Established Member
Mobil 1's 0W-30 also requires changing the oil every 500 miles or so. Doesn't sound very street friendly.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Mobil 1's 0W-30 also requires changing the oil every 500 miles or so. Doesn't sound very street friendly.
I'm getting 12,000 out of my Amsoil, and the sample always comes back saying to go even more. But for me, 12,000 miles is almost 3 years, so I do a full oil change anyway.

I'm getting 12,000 out of my Amsoil, and the sample always comes back saying to go even more. But for me, 12,000 miles is almost 3 years, so I do a full oil change anyway.

Wow that's awesome that the Amsoil oil is that stable at those kind of miles. I just switched from GC 0W-30 to Amsoil 0W-30 SS and plan on running it for 15k before sending out for a UOA on it. I'm going to stick with 2 oil changes a year and run 0W-30 in the fall and winter months and run 10W-30 in the summer months.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Amsoil is starting to impress me. What is the best way to buy this oil. Do you have to join and become a member or something to get better pricing? I thought that is what someone told me. Is this true?

I paid $20 for an annual membership. Once you add that to your cart in their online store you'll get the at cost pricing for all their products.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Wow that's awesome that the Amsoil oil is that stable at those kind of miles. I just switched from GC 0W-30 to Amsoil 0W-30 SS and plan on running it for 15k before sending out for a UOA on it. I'm going to stick with 2 oil changes a year and run 0W-30 in the fall and winter months and run 10W-30 in the summer months.
I change my filter and top off the oil every 3,000 miles. Amsoil claims their filter will go 12-15,000 miles, but I figure that Motorcraft filters are cheap, so to make sure it's always working, I throw a new one on.

It really is good stuff, but it's a little bit expensive. I bought my last case from a local guy, but will join their preferred program on my next purchase. I am also switching my DD over now that it's out of warranty. When I delete my oil cooler and plumb in an external cooler, I'll also be adding a sampling valve to make it easier to pull a sample for the lab. I would caution anyone who does want to run extended miles to be sure and send off samples at regular intervals (maybe every 6,000 miles or so) to be sure the oil still has plenty of life.

I change my filter and top off the oil every 3,000 miles. Amsoil claims their filter will go 12-15,000 miles, but I figure that Motorcraft filters are cheap, so to make sure it's always working, I throw a new one on.

It really is good stuff, but it's a little bit expensive. I bought my last case from a local guy, but will join their preferred program on my next purchase. I am also switching my DD over now that it's out of warranty. When I delete my oil cooler and plumb in an external cooler, I'll also be adding a sampling valve to make it easier to pull a sample for the lab. I would caution anyone who does want to run extended miles to be sure and send off samples at regular intervals (maybe every 6,000 miles or so) to be sure the oil still has plenty of life.

I wouldn't say its expensive if you're changing the oil every 12k - 15k at all. I mean there are guys doing changes every 3k. That's why more expensive than 2 oil changes a year. And a Amsoil oil filter is $13.15. 2 oil chnages per year and oil filter changes a year = you just can't beat that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread