MOAB!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Since it's deployed by cargo acft odds are it won't be used since the SAM risk would be too great. This would be reserved for late in a war or no risk situation such as airfield clearing.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Thats what Prowler and flares are for!! You damned AF pussies!! :p Shoulda kept the EF-111

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Since it's deployed by cargo acft odds are it won't be used since the SAM risk would be too great. This would be reserved for late in a war or no risk situation such as airfield clearing.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Thats what Prowler and flares are for!! You damned AF pussies!! :p Shoulda kept the EF-111

It's called risk benefit analysis :p All the flares and ecm in the world will not protect a big, slow acft during a low altitude, high AOA delivery from a shoulder launched missile. And the EF's were pigs to work on anyway (too much coax wire used, no bulkhead connectors). They've been replaced by the F16 in that role. It can more than handle the job, besides we have plenty of them ;-)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Isn't it dropped from like 20k? IIRC (i'm a little rusty, been two years) but most MANPADs can't reach that high. Most AAA, can't reach that high either (again, I'm a bit rusty). Climb that bitch up to 30k and drop it! If you don't want I'm sure there are more than a few daring Marine C-130 drivers willing to get into the action ;-)

As for the 16.....CJ correct?
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
It's called risk benefit analysis :p All the flares and ecm in the world will not protect a big, slow acft during a low altitude, high AOA delivery from a shoulder launched missile. And the EF's were pigs to work on anyway (too much coax wire used, no bulkhead connectors). They've been replaced by the F16 in that role. It can more than handle the job, besides we have plenty of them ;-)

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Isn't it dropped from like 20k? IIRC (i'm a little rusty, been two years) but most MANPADs can't reach that high. Most AAA, can't reach that high either (again, I'm a bit rusty). Climb that bitch up to 30k and drop it! If you don't want I'm sure there are more than a few daring Marine C-130 drivers willing to get into the action ;-)

As for the 16.....CJ correct?

It can be dropped from any altitude. The really neat thing is that it is precision guided, unlike the daisy cutter that was droped by a C130 and floated down with a parachute and was at the mercey of the winds aloft.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
that was my thinking, since the damned thing has wings and GPS guided why not drop it from 30k plus? Thought it in a C-141 or something (lacking on my cargo plane specs) and drop it out.......the unsuspecting bastiches would never know....

Originally posted by AV8R
It can be dropped from any altitude. The really neat thing is that it is precision guided, unlike the daisy cutter that was droped by a C130 and floated down with a parachute and was at the mercey of the winds aloft.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
If the US uses this its bound to be in the area of one of the remote palaces or Iraqi bases b/c we definitely won't deploy this weapon anywhere near electric/power facilities, dams, primary bridges, or anywhere else there could be massive structural damage of 'quality of life' items.

The US will be rebuilding Iraq and is in for the long haul. With that in mind they're not going to up their rebuilding costs and/or erode relations w/ the Iraqi people by destroying anything too important (or expensive).

Just to compare, WWII, Japan and The Bomb was different -- there was no intention of occupying and doing a complete remodeling of the Japanese political system. All the US was in for was the rebuilding process. Iraq entails rebuilding AND revision of its current system...scratch the revision remark. Its a complete overhaul.

The US will use this bomb, but with a whole lotta discretion. My guess is that the satellite guided muntions will be the order of the day more often than not. Laser guided weapons as well, but not as much as they were utilized in Desert Storm. Just my thoughts on it, anyway.

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
great points.. everyone.. IMO i dont see this bomb being used prolly at all on Iraq... but korea.. that might be a different story... i heard something aboot this bomb being able to knock out all underground utilities.. and not in just a lil area.. like a good square mile or so.....

If this is true.. i say if the koreans wanna hide underground... go ahead.. one big ass funeral!

bwaha :)

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Why do we release this stuff so the enemies can see it?? or do they already know. Just a stupid high-school student lookin in, I dont understand why we publicise the good stuff.

03DOHC

Established Member
They ought to take every C130 in inventory equipped with one of these bombs and drop them all at the same time on icrap. That would be cool.:beer:

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
They ought to take every C130 in inventory equipped with one of these bombs and drop them all at the same time on icrap. That would be cool.:beer:

Now your talkin!!! :beer:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Wjat about the GPS jammers the North Koreans sold to Sadam? It may well be that our precision guided minitions may well be dumb bombs after all.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
they only have limited capability.....

Originally posted by harry gilbert
Wjat about the GPS jammers the North Koreans sold to Sadam? It may well be that our precision guided minitions may well be dumb bombs after all.

Users who are viewing this thread