MMR 900 Shortblock....yes or no

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
thanks man...i actually just talked with them today. they're being real cool about it and sounds like they're gonna give me a break on whatever parts i get(i'm gonna do turbo cams and ported heads while i have it apart again) and knock off a bunch of labor. so all in all not bad, mainly just a hassle. thank goodness for crappy weather that i wouldn't be driving my car in anyway lol.

so, so far i'd still give MMR a thumbs up. whatever messed up on mine was the fault of the idiot local tuner(not Kurgan!!). i'll be pulling the driver side head this weekend and then i'll know what's up. the #8 plug was COVERED in wet oil before i pulled the motor back out, so i know it's on that side...

Meant to ask. If you feel it was the tuner j/w why you think that?

Did you have a wideband in the car? What was the a/f, timing, boost when the tune was "done"

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
So i have some extra cash and im thinkin about pullin the trigger on a MMR 900 Shortblock. My car is currentlly boosted and only at 6psi i have a fear everytime i mash the gas im gonna blow it up. It runs great but i dont wanna risk blowin the motor.

my options are....

MMR 900 (will eventually port and polish a set of 03 heads to go along with)

or

built 8.8 and Ported Short runner

or

8 rib setup and Bruces Bushing kit

its such a hard choice

Why not simply rebuild yours? the cost to pull and reinstall the engine is a no factor whether you go the MMR 900 shortblock or rebuild you own.

You already have an Aluminum block with forged crank. I say find a reputable engine builder close to your house and get forged rods and pistons.

Get upgraded head gasket.

Isn't the MMR 900 a cast iron block? 80 pounds heavier than aluminum block now. Your WAP or Teksid is good to over 900 HP.

I had MMR rebuild my Teksid with forged internals, improved oil pump.,bored 20 over etc

They also ported my heads....

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Why not simply rebuild yours? the cost to pull and reinstall the engine is a no factor whether you go the MMR 900 shortblock or rebuild you own.

You already have an Aluminum block with forged crank. I say find a reputable engine builder close to your house and get forged rods and pistons.

Isn't the MMR 900 a cast iron block? 80 pounds heavier than aluminum block now. Your WAP or Teksid is good to over 900 HP.

I had MMR rebuild my Teksid with forged internals, improved oil pump.,bored 20 over etc

FWIW, I sent MMR my teksid block and stock crank to be used in my 900.

My total price from MMR (including shipping) was cheaper than having it done locally.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I bought my motor from them back in 2007. That is when Chris still worked there. The customer service was very good and anytime I called with questions they always were happy to help. Since, I know Chris doesn't work there anymore (he was the main person I dealt with there) and I have heard that their quality has decreased. I don't know if they have different builders and they are cutting costs or what, but I have heard from several people that they are not what they used to be.

who said Chris doesn't work there anymore? I had my engine rebuilt in April of 2008 and I dealt with a guy named Chris?

Not sure if it is the same dude but would imagine so. He is real cool and helpful.

He is exNavy guy, mid to late 20"s? and pretty damn big too. i'll bet money he still works there..someone just call and ask for him.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
who said Chris doesn't work there anymore? I had my engine rebuilt in April of 2008 and I dealt with a guy named Chris?

Not sure if it is the same dude but would imagine so. He is real cool and helpful.

He is exNavy guy, mid to late 20"s? and pretty damn big too. i'll bet money he still works there..someone just call and ask for him.

That was almost 2 years ago since you spoke to him. I have a friend who is on his 3rd motor now (having problems with their new stuff) and he told me that Chris isn't there anymore. He used to deal with Chris as well and I'm sure if he was still there that would be who he would deal with.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
So i have some extra cash and im thinkin about pullin the trigger on a MMR 900 Shortblock. My car is currentlly boosted and only at 6psi i have a fear everytime i mash the gas im gonna blow it up. It runs great but i dont wanna risk blowin the motor.

my options are....

1.) MMR 900 (will eventually port and polish a set of 03 heads to go along with)

or

2.) built 8.8 and Ported Short runner

or

3.) 8 rib setup and Bruces Bushing kit

its such a hard choice

I think you got the order right /\/\ :beer:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you better drive up to see me next time LOL!
Oh no worries man! Like I said I learned my lesson…the hard way

Not to derail the thread, but how were your experiences with Kurgan? I've got a MMR 900 in my garage right now going back in my car with ported B heads, a short-runner and a Hellion 76mm and was considering having him tune the car when its done. He's only about 2 hours from my place. Besides his reputation, I don't know where else around here I would trust taking the car...

Sorry to hear about your issues. I saw you were trying to sell the car. Good luck with it!
Oh man, it’s been nothing but the best with Bob! He lets you know everything that’s going on and knows everything about basically everything when it comes to cars. He is definitely a fan of turbos so I’m sure he’d love to tune your car. Give him a call!

Yeah it sucks but what can I do ya know. Yeah I was trying to sell it. If I had a buyer lined up I would basically fix the motor and then sell. But since I’ll probably keep it I’m going to do a few extras :)

Some don’t have that option. I threw a rod, which punched a couple sweet holes in my Teksid block. This also scraped up my crank a bit too. So I had no choice really. And if you look at MMR’s nice website, you will see that aluminum block upgrade is an option for all short or long blocks. Mine is an aluminum block fwiw…

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Meant to ask. If you feel it was the tuner j/w why you think that?

Did you have a wideband in the car? What was the a/f, timing, boost when the tune was "done"
It’s a few things added up really that just make me suspicious…I made an appointment one morning for tuning and they were gonna get it on the dyno right away since I just tok the morning off and would have to work later in the afternoon. I got there about a half hour early and everything only to find out that they were still waiting on new dyno software cause theirs had crapped out the week before. Well the software did come in, just not till like 10:30am so tuning obviously wasn’t gonna happen till after lunch. So that turned into my friend bringing me to work(luckily he was there with me). Ok so they give me a call and ask if my car ever smoked. I told them it used to just slightly when I would let off, but I was pretty sure it was the turbo seal since it had sat for so long while I got a new motor built. Anyway I got call later and they said it was going lean after like 5500 rpm’s and no matter what they tried it wouldn’t add more fuel(my pump and injector dc was fine). At that point I was feeling kind of weird so I said no more. I had a feeling they had done a pull or two with it going lean…So when I picked it up that night I was literally smoking so bad you could see it clearly through the rearview mirror AT NIGHT. Checked the oil when I got home and it was like 2 quarts low, and I made damn sure it was spot on that morning…

This was with the KB blower setup I went with for a bit. Like I said it puffed just a hair before after I’d let off. As soon as I put the blower on and just drove around to work out any kinks or whatever 100% of the smoke was gone…until after “tuning”

Sorry so long, but that’s my story lol

trxcobra

Established Member
im going with a longblock from MMR this winter and the guys have all been really straight forward so far over the phone and they seem like theyre all about helping me as much as possible. That doesnt say anything about the quality of their work but i guess we'll find out in a few months when i get my car out haha

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
glad you've liked them thus far. keep us posted! if i had to do it over again i would just go longblock too. that way there's no extra work and second guessing, just drop it right in lol

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
FWIW, I sent MMR my teksid block and stock crank to be used in my 900.

My total price from MMR (including shipping) was cheaper than having it done locally.

yup that is a good option also if you don't mind shipping the block

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Oh no worries man! Like I said I learned my lesson…the hard way

Oh man, it’s been nothing but the best with Bob! He lets you know everything that’s going on and knows everything about basically everything when it comes to cars. He is definitely a fan of turbos so I’m sure he’d love to tune your car. Give him a call!

Yeah it sucks but what can I do ya know. Yeah I was trying to sell it. If I had a buyer lined up I would basically fix the motor and then sell. But since I’ll probably keep it I’m going to do a few extras :)

Some don’t have that option. I threw a rod, which punched a couple sweet holes in my Teksid block. This also scraped up my crank a bit too. So I had no choice really. And if you look at MMR’s nice website, you will see that aluminum block upgrade is an option for all short or long blocks. Mine is an aluminum block fwiw…

Clearly with a hole in your block need a new one but isn't the upgrade like $1200 for an aluminum block? Could be wrong?

I Just think the teksid and to a lesser extent the WAP are good blocks and aluminum so why not use them?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
That was almost 2 years ago since you spoke to him. I have a friend who is on his 3rd motor now (having problems with their new stuff) and he told me that Chris isn't there anymore. He used to deal with Chris as well and I'm sure if he was still there that would be who he would deal with.

My bad man. I thought your Post said in 2007 you knew Chris was already gone from there so i was letting you know in 2008 he was there.

Suxs because he was a great dude there..

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Clearly with a hole in your block need a new one but isn't the upgrade like $1200 for an aluminum block? Could be wrong?

I Just think the teksid and to a lesser extent the WAP are good blocks and aluminum so why not use them?
Oh I completely agree, if your block is good then there’s absolutely no reason to not use it! You can actually send your block in(or any block you can get ahold of) and have them build it too…but yeah the aluminum upgrade has gone up a ton over the past year. It was $800, then went to $1000 right when I was ordering mine(thank goodness for local dealer pricing :)), now it’s even higher…

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
i just figured it would be easier to put something brand new in...car is also daily driven so there wouldnt be as much downtime ordering the new unit..say i was to just rebuild my original block...what brand pistons would you recommend? obviously its gonna be low compression since the car is supercharged

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
I have a MMR 900 in my garage right now going back into my car. Has every option, plus I sprung for a Melling billet oil pump. My dealings with them so far have been excellent. We'll see how the motor runs when I get it back in the car...

Not to derail the thread, but how were your experiences with Kurgan? I've got a MMR 900 in my garage right now going back in my car with ported B heads, a short-runner and a Hellion 76mm and was considering having him tune the car when its done. He's only about 2 hours from my place. Besides his reputation, I don't know where else around here I would trust taking the car...

Sorry to hear about your issues. I saw you were trying to sell the car. Good luck with it!

All i have to say is if you are illinois Kurgan is the guy to go to ....im hopefully going to have the funds to have him tune my car soon and everyone else i know that has had him tune theres have been extremely happy

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
i just figured it would be easier to put something brand new in...car is also daily driven so there wouldnt be as much downtime ordering the new unit..say i was to just rebuild my original block...what brand pistons would you recommend? obviously its gonna be low compression since the car is supercharged

If downtime is a concern find a seasoned aka used teksid block and build that, they can be picked up for <$400 with some searching. Best thing is to find a reputable local shop and ask them what they recommend.

I have custom forged 11:1 c/r +.020" JE Pistons in my engine because thats what the local engine builder recommended after I told him what I would like to do. It has 03/04 Cobra Manley rods because I got them for $400 from the now defunct Karkraft dot com.

I had the shop go ahead and assemble the bottom end. Mainly because it only cost $150 for assembly, when they quoted me that price, I said put it together! The rotating assembly is 0 balanced to the aluminum flywheel and March damper I plan on using.

There are good shops out there, you just have to be weary in your search and find one thats proven to know their stuff.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you're right on the down time for sure! although you may want to look into it, but you could buy a set of Manley rods and some good forged pistons(Manley, CP, Diamond, JE, etc), the set of bearings you'll need, arp hardware...basically a rotating assembly w/o the crank. then give phase 2 machine in STL a call and see what they'd charge to assemble everything for you. it may save you some money...just a thought :beer:

oh, and for your centri i'd go with at least 9:1 compression(-11cc).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread