mmr 5.3 what supercharger?

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
im currently in order to get a mmr 900 5.3 stroker and have been planning for a 2.8kb or 2.9whipple. power goals are in the 700 range. I see builds with 2.9s and 3.4s but never 2.3whipple or less than 2.8kb superchargers. Searching around i came across a 5.3mmr with a 2.3whipple on youtube that made 720ish hp on the dyno on just 12-14psi. I am wondering if this was actually a 2.3 and why more people dont just use the smaller supercharger when it could possibly run close to the same hp if it was cranked up to 19-20psi?

Ninedown

Established Member

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
yea im planning on pump gas but down the road id like to do both e85 and 93. i already got the lethal 1000 return system and id 1000s. That seems to be the same video i didnt even think about how much boost was lost to it breathing better.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
If your looking for 700ish on pump gas then I would suggest getting some head work along with a set of cams. And you can acomplish that goal with a stock bore Boss block.

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
I already have the stroker on order. When i saw that vid i thought something was strange making that power with a 2.3 and with so many 2.3s for sale right now i had to get some opinions on it. i think i will stick to getting a 2.8kb love the whine of a kb.

eaglesnick

Established Member
I call bs on that video since they are saying it made that power on a 2.3 whipple at only 14 psi. There are a lot of members on here and I will bet not one has gotten to 700hp with only 14psi regardless of combo or fuel on a stock block.

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
the block is a boss 5.0 with the stroker kit so its actually 42 more cubic inches. I still dont think it could put that much out on a 2.3 with 14psi tho.

eaglesnick

Established Member
the block is a boss 5.0 with the stroker kit so its actually 42 more cubic inches. I still dont think it could put that much out on a 2.3 with 14psi tho.

I am aware that it's a stroked Boss block, but unless they have bumped the compression way up which you can't do with a PD blower and 93 octane your still not going to see over 700 to the wheels with a 2.3 whipple at 14psi.

Last edited:

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
thanks for the info! i just cant wait to get my new setup together. My cobra has been sitting since july..

eaglesnick

Established Member
thanks for the info! i just cant wait to get my new setup together. My cobra has been sitting since july..

I feel your pain my car was down for a little over a year waiting on my build.

As for the 2.3 or 2.9 don't waste your time with the 2.3, with your build you will easily be able to use the 2.9 and not have to spin it nearly as hard to get to the same power level and not worry about IAT2s getting to high and risking detonation or heat soaking.

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
what made you choose the whipple over the kb. from everything i have read its merely a personal preference right?

eaglesnick

Established Member
For me, I'm an old timer on this board and am the original own of my 03. I actually had a gen1 2.3 whipple installed way back in the day, at that time KB was having some issues with their 2.2. So I opted for the 2.3 and had no complaints with it and I tend to be loyal if treated right so when the time came to replace the 2.3 I went with a whipple again. A couple of other reasons; I am not a big fan of the looks of the KB, it just doesn't look like it belongs there very "aftermarket" looking where as the whipple looks like is belongs, almost stealthy. Also not a big fan of the tremendously loud KB whine, I know some guys love it, but I prefer the "quietness" of the whipple.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
For me, I'm an old timer on this board and am the original own of my 03. I actually had a gen1 2.3 whipple installed way back in the day, at that time KB was having some issues with their 2.2. So I opted for the 2.3 and had no complaints with it and I tend to be loyal if treated right so when the time came to replace the 2.3 I went with a whipple again. A couple of other reasons; I am not a big fan of the looks of the KB, it just doesn't look like it belongs there very "aftermarket" looking where as the whipple looks like is belongs, almost stealthy. Also not a big fan of the tremendously loud KB whine, I know some guys love it, but I prefer the "quietness" of the whipple.

Zero whine even at 22lbs of boost ;-)

eaglesnick

Established Member
Consider backing out of that stroker build if you can. Avoid them like the plague. Search "stroker motor failure" and you will know what I mean

I have seen this on here several times (mostly the same member) and there is some merit to it depending on the block being used, but here is a snip it from the article linked below:

In the world of Ford V8's, there are several engines that lend themselves well to stroking. Within the six major Ford engine groups, the most common strokers are:

302ci (5.0L) Windsor to 347ci

351ci (5.7L) Windsor to 393ci and 427ci (requires major machining)

390ci big block FE to 427ci

460ci big block FE to 508ci and 557ci (requires major machining)

Modular 4.6L to 5.0L and 5.2L

Read more: What Crank Is Needed to Build a Ford Stroker? | eHow

Last edited:

wesking1

Established Member
I feel your pain my car was down for a little over a year waiting on my build.

As for the 2.3 or 2.9 don't waste your time with the 2.3, with your build you will easily be able to use the 2.9 and not have to spin it nearly as hard to get to the same power level and not worry about IAT2s getting to high and risking detonation or heat soaking.

Agree had a 2.3 and a 2.9 go with the 2.9

slvr10th

Established Member
I'm running a KB 2.8H with 2.76 pulley on a boss stroker motor, and we only saw 22-23 lbs of boost with the bigger motor. Made 730HP through loose c4 so that should be around 830 through a manual. Those numbers were with 11 to 1 compression, were in process of bumping it up to 13 to 1 and then turning the bottle on and hopefully be in the 950 range throught the 5000 stall converter.

My KB doesn't whine either.

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
nice! thanks for all the info. id be happy just in the 6-700 range but having a 2.8 or 2.9 is def what i want knowing later down the road id want more.

Users who are viewing this thread